PDA

View Full Version : Uber aircraft revisited - online

Jabberwocky_
03-03-2005, 11:04 AM
Ok, so I'm a very average pilot with some sneeky tricks once in a while, but most of the time, I end up serving as fertiliser in some nice meadow in Europe, or as a healthy nutrient to a coral reef in the Pacific. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

That being said, I just to be certain that I'm not TOTALLY out of my league by flying some porked out air pig. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Does anybody see any problem with the choices I make as the aircraft I normally fly online?
In order of preference.

La-7 3x20mm
I-185 (both variants)
F4UC 1945
Bf109K with gunpods
Yak9U
Occasionally I fly the P-47 (I need big guns cause my aim is so so.)

I can't seem to stick to one aircraft. I like them all! But maybe that's my problem because I don't concentrate on one and learn to know its abilities inside and out.

What do you hotshots do? Do you stick to one uber plane or mix it up?

I sure as hell see a lot of spits and Bf109 and Yaks and some La-7, mustangs and P-47, Ki-84b (of course) and F4UC. I mean, is that pretty much the cream of the crop?

I think the upcoming Mosquito and Do-335 will be my new fave planes and I'll drop the other ones.

Cheers!

Jabberwocky

reverendkrv1972
03-03-2005, 11:19 AM
the Spit is a dream to fly,but i dont fly it as much as i'd like to.
in no order the planes im most likely to be flying..
P-47
Wildcat http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Zero
mustang
Hurricane

i fly almost anything and do ok with them.
I've flown that ki-84 thing once.
unfortunately i havent got the merged install(i'm missing AEP).

Regards

Rev

fordfan25
03-03-2005, 11:25 AM
nope no prob with your plane choice. the LA7 is a bit ...uber i think its called but still IMO ok. the plane that agravates me online is the ki84C. seems like thats ALL that is flown in warbirds-pt-lw. gets old real fast when you keep geting blown in half with two shots. the A and even the B moddle is ok. but the C is tottal BS when every one is flying it. maby if we had some -4's or 47Ns it might even out.

ColoradoBBQ
03-03-2005, 11:28 AM
Fly whatever give you enjoyment, don't let the bad mouthers get you down. I occasionly fly the Bf-109 G6/AS, La 5FN, Me-262, and the Mig 3U. I don't mind flying against these so-called uber-planes but I always will them to make a really dumb move. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

gates123
03-03-2005, 11:43 AM
Boom'n and zoom'n in a I-153p is the uber way to go..

Jabberwocky_
03-03-2005, 12:28 PM
Boom 'n zoom in a I-153p?? Wow, you must have balls the size of Epcot Center, to be pulling something like that! Nifty idea. I think I'll try that out tonight.

Cheers,

Jabberwocky

Stiglr
03-03-2005, 02:47 PM
Of course, there's always the option of getting more satisfaction by using an "average" or "honest" plane and still getting kills with it. Especially when scoring those kills on ueberplanes piloted by no-skill hacks.

Sometimes in IL-2 land, energy and physics can still win out.

Latico
03-03-2005, 02:48 PM
I wonder how I would do using the B&Z tactic in the SBD?

hmmmm......

I'll have to try it some time. LOL

Get on my six at your own peril.

VW-IceFire
03-03-2005, 03:15 PM
Fly what you like.

Still, I prefer to fly the aircraft that are considered undermodeled to see if they really are and then prove without any doubt that I can kill no matter what plane I'm flying.

My suggestion is that if you really like a plane or a couple of planes you do this:
1) Read the history of the aircraft.
2) Spend alot of time in the QMB learning how to fly it.
3) Start flying it online a fair amount.
4) Start testing your skills...push the plane to the limits, learn where it goes wrong, analyize why you lost the fight, and figure out how to never replicate the situation again.

EnGaurde
03-03-2005, 03:21 PM
ki84C...

blown in half with two shots...

like whats happened to every zero pilot online since time began?

ok mebbe not in half, but lit up fo shizzle...

its good that a japanese aircraft has the stones to bend american aircraft over its knee.

its almost as if people fully expect not to be able to be blown apart in american planes... all this talk of uber aircraft? I still thikn that if you fly japanese planes you become used to being extremely vulnerable. If you constantly fly american planes then you become used to not being vulnerable... until you strike a fast, big gunned bomber killer.

bout time eh? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

Griffon_25th
03-03-2005, 03:22 PM
the I-185 is a pretty good aircraft and im surprised not more people fly it as its fast, agile and has 3x20mm in the nose.

carguy_
03-03-2005, 03:41 PM
Yeah,in Barbarossa online campaign Yaks1 and 7b are the most fearsome planes on either side in`41.

LW gets F2,F4 and still they are being kicked around.

EnGaurde
03-03-2005, 04:04 PM
hmmmm....

this is a topic close to my own heart...

its interesting to note both online and in here that the general perception is, that only PTO allied aircraft can be fast, tough and heavily armed.

if a japanese aircraft manages to compete on even terms, then its somehow wrong?

the Ki84C still burns at the drop of a hat, the pilot still gets killed at least 50% of the time, i still get cut to pieces by p47s, p51s and corsairs most missions.

the only difference is, i can catch up, out maneouver, and cut up my share of targets as well.

the only difference is, is that traditional taken for granted advantage that every allied aircraft has in the PTO is negated somewhat by the ki84Cs speed and sharp teeth.

i see no problem.

in fact it makes the allied pilots fly better knowing that they are that much closer to being annihilated than before?

ElAurens
03-03-2005, 04:40 PM
I always start out in a Ki61 in the Warpbirds late Pacific server (can we have the Otsu as well please?), and try to stay in it as long as I can, but after getting jumped by vast numbers of Boyington wannabes flying the F4U 1C I take to the Ki 84 C. While I think that the Hien is a much tougher airframe it simply doesn't have the speed to compete with the American Hayate when faced with the usual overwhelming numbers of them.

JunkoIfurita
03-03-2005, 06:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>the I-185 is a pretty good aircraft and im surprised not more people fly it as its fast, agile and has 3x20mm in the nose. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is a nice aircraft (not in the least as a tech demo), but I think the reason not many fly it is the same reason why not many fly the 109Z, Go-229 or (to a lesser degree) YP-80. It was a 'what-if' aircraft, and never actually flew in combat duty. The I-185 was cancelled due to political turmoil, and the others were late war prototypes that didn't get a chance to go to active duty. The YP-80 wasn't put into service until Korea.

People GENERALLY stick to relatively historical planesets, and even when they don't, it's common to cop a lot of flack for flying planes that have no combat history to aid in the accuracy of their flight model - it's easy to be accused of being an Uber-monkey.

I personally have no problem with the aircraft, it's all down to skill in the end. But then again I vastly prefer to fly on servers with planesets restricted to the era/mission at hand.

----

Kvarium
03-03-2005, 07:08 PM
I like the P-39s myself, they are present thruout the war. They are very fast when compared to same era planes but they don't climb as well as 109s. Doing long horizontal looping maneuvers works fairly well.

K.

HayateAce
03-03-2005, 07:44 PM
Why not just fly the best propellor driven aircraft in the entire sim? You get beat in this one, you are doing everything wrong.

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/airplane/museum/cl-pln/images2/Hayate4.jpg

fordfan25
03-03-2005, 08:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EnGaurde:
hmmmm....

this is a topic close to my own heart...

its interesting to note both online and in here that the general perception is, that only PTO allied aircraft can be fast, tough and heavily armed.

if a japanese aircraft manages to compete on even terms, then its somehow wrong?

the Ki84C still burns at the drop of a hat, the pilot still gets killed at least 50% of the time, i still get cut to pieces by p47s, p51s and corsairs most missions.

the only difference is, i can catch up, out maneouver, and cut up my share of targets as well.

the only difference is, is that traditional taken for granted advantage that every allied aircraft has in the PTO is negated somewhat by the ki84Cs speed and sharp teeth.

i see no problem.

in fact it makes the allied pilots fly better knowing that they are that much closer to being annihilated than before? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

sure it can be flamed but only if you can get your guns on it. its faster than anything down low sept the p38. it can out turn every thing the US has in this game and with the 30mm it can kill in two or three lucky hits.and with the half @ssed dive FM the US lose's any and all advanteges.take Zekes VS wildcats. the wildcat may be tougher and have what i call a longer sustaned effective fire power but the zero can out turn the cat easy and is just as fast. also while you have ammo for them the cannons are very good thay kinda work off one anothers ups and downs. the KI-84 A and B moddles would be nice to see every now and then.At least then the corsairs and cats could at least take advantege of there durabilty. i have heard people in here screem about how thay dont like time compration blah blah blah yet flying every mission and fighting nothing but ki84Cs seems real? i mean IRL how many times would a fighter piolet go up aginst C moddle kis? like i said same with the LA-7 it at least doesnt have mega cannons. it would help if we could get some of the other late war J fighters in the game to give J flyers more choice. ......or if we had some -4s or Ns to give us a speed advantege lol "yea i had to say it heheheh"

Spectre-63
03-03-2005, 09:55 PM
I always find it amusing to see all these names spouting about "realism" on the forums and then, 'fore you can say "Franky-poo", hopping into the Ki-84C online...conveniently neglecting that there were extremely limited numbers of them built. The only time the KI-84C should be seen online, IMO, is with stringent limits placed on how many can be airborne at a given time....that is, if you guys want to do anything more than pay lip-service to "realism"

fordfan25
03-03-2005, 10:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spectre-63:
I always find it amusing to see all these names spouting about "realism" on the forums and then, 'fore you can say "Franky-poo", hopping into the Ki-84C online...conveniently neglecting that there were _extremely_ limited numbers of them built. The only time the KI-84C should be seen online, IMO, is with stringent limits placed on how many can be airborne at a given time....that is, if you guys want to do anything more than pay lip-service to "realism" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

YES. thats just what im talkn about. in a server there should be a limet to how many can fly the KI. its like if the US guys had the bearcat. i would not like to see a room slap full of them you know.

ImpStarDuece
03-03-2005, 10:59 PM
I dont really think there are 'super' or 'uber' planes in the game, much like there really were no such thing in real life. What exists are differences in potential performance, its all up to the pilot to make that advantage work though.

There are planes that have distinct advantages in the 1 on 1, limited team work environment that prevails in the sim however. Aircraft like the Ki-84, Spitfire, La-5/7 are so feared because their strengths lie in the type of fighting that is most prevalent online. It is still up to the pilot to turn that perfomance into a combat advantage. Similarly, it is up to their opponents to fly in such a way as to deny that advantage.

A Juggernaught, Wurger, Wildcat or Lightning pilot operated in a team environment where team tactics determined the outcome much more than individual flying. That was why supposedly 'inferior aircraft' performed so well. The HL environment genrally represents a free for all dog fight that no sensible combat pilot would of had a bar of. Its much closer to a WW1 style of combat than a WW2 style.

Fly what you want. If you do well in aircraft such as those you list expect to have an 'uber-flyer' lable attached to you. Its simply the most commont retort of a frustrated pilot who doesn't like getting shot down.

Hendley
03-03-2005, 11:46 PM
I'm with stiglr and some of the other guys; flying the more "perfomance challenged" planes can be a lot of fun. It's a lot less painful getting shot down over and over again if you can blame it on the plane (hmm, Milli Vanilli anyone?) and the kills are that much more satisfying. Or, you can do what I usually end up doing: get in a bomber and let the AI dudes do the shooting...

Hendly @ 4 online kills in the Gladiator so far this year, and counting...

EnGaurde
03-04-2005, 12:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It is still up to the pilot to turn that perfomance into a combat advantage. Similarly, it is up to their opponents to fly in such a way as to deny that advantage <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

aah the gentle voice of reason.

so often drowned out by the screaming tantrum of cluelessness.

Amen.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

DarthBane_
03-04-2005, 03:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ElAurens:
I _always_ start out in a Ki61 in the Warpbirds late Pacific server (can we have the Otsu as well please?), and try to stay in it as long as I can, but after getting jumped by vast numbers of Boyington wannabes flying the F4U 1C I take to the Ki 84 C. While I think that the Hien is a much tougher airframe it simply doesn't have the speed to compete with the American Hayate when faced with the usual overwhelming numbers of them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I rarely fly the C version, but when i do there is allways rack of amero corpses. The most sucesfull mission was 13 planes with one ammo load. The only dangerous plane in spit, it can dogfight on equal turms, others can try one pass on you and if they miss, they end up as worms food. me109 is the most pathetic advesary. Due to latest changes in FM it is easy to evade knowing it cannot follow any turn above 400 kph. The zero and 109 can now be evaded easily if you keep the speed over 400.
Corsair is simply fish food.

ElAurens
03-04-2005, 05:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spectre-63:
I always find it amusing to see all these names spouting about "realism" on the forums and then, 'fore you can say "Franky-poo", hopping into the Ki-84C online...conveniently neglecting that there were _extremely_ limited numbers of them built. The only time the KI-84C should be seen online, IMO, is with stringent limits placed on how many can be airborne at a given time....that is, if you guys want to do anything more than pay lip-service to "realism" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*cough* F4U1C *cough*

Servers full of them are so real as well eh? And if the -4 was available that is all you would see the Allied flyers in...Be sure.

EnGaurde
03-04-2005, 05:28 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Servers full of them are so real as well eh? And if the -4 was available that is all you would see the Allied flyers in...Be sure.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

this wont make a scrap of difference to the Allied Aircraft Rule and If They Dont I'll Scream PORKED till I'm Listened To goons...

Clearly, axis aircraft cannot rule a map.

History says so.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Jabberwocky_
03-04-2005, 08:14 AM
Wow! What a wealth of information. Thanks for your thoughts guys! There are some very interesting suggestions and impressions.

Stiglr, in response to your suggestion on the option of choosing a humble ride, I'd like to see you grab an I-153 and carve up some late-war fighters. That would be entertaining!!

I like the back and forth thoughts on the Ki-84. It's obviously a controversial aircraft (for il-2 community anyway) and one that I like to dabble in every now and then, but I know I won't gain experience in it very quickly, as it is a defacto skill compensating device. Suuuure, you can go on about how it's the best weapon in the game, but hey, William Tell used a bow, not a crossbow, didn't he? (Ah ****! I just checked, he used a crossbow actually, bad example). Ok, well Yosemite Sam used revolvers, not magnums... Actually, most of his bullets missed everything he fired at.. but you get the point: the Ki-84C is the lazy flyer's weapon and I'm stupid.

Cheers,

Jabberwocky

geetarman
03-04-2005, 09:48 AM
Two schools of thought - fly the plane you like and stick with it or fly a bunch and get used to a variety of planes. It doesn't matter. It's a game. Good pilots do well in whatever they fly in.

As to the Frank. Sound tactics will beat it, 30mm cannons or not. Just try not to get in front of one after you make your pass. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
Oh, and another thing - use clouds

Freid_
03-04-2005, 12:41 PM
The KI84c. They can't catch a Thunderbolt or a late model Corsair on level flight no matter how you tweak the pitch or trim. They burn real easy,you black out big time if you push em too hard. It would be nice if there were only zero's then the allieds would win 75% of the fights. With no self sealing tanks and less power ( zero) especialy against the later plane sets i can see that the Ki84's ruin the mood of the allieds! I had a fight last night with a P-47 that must have lasted over 5 minutes( No On else was around to bother us) it ended in a draw . A great fight !!! I didn't hear him complain once that i was in a Ki-84 but instead commented on a great match that was very even.
It is just a game !

Spectre-63
03-04-2005, 05:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ElAurens:
*cough* F4U1C *cough*

Servers full of them are so real as well eh? And if the -4 was available that is all you would see the Allied flyers in...Be sure. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Admittedly not, however there were significantly more Corsairs produced than Franks:

Vought Production total: 4699
Goodyear Production total: 3808
Brewster Production total: 735
-------
Total: 9242
(F4U-1, F4U-1A, F4U-1C, and F4U-1D models)
Source: http://www.vectorsite.net/avf4u.html#m8

versus a grand total of 3514 Franks
(source: http://www.xs4all.nl/~fbonne/warbirds/ww2htmls/nakaki84.html)
....sounds like reasonable grounds for a 3-1 advantage. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I'd be just fine with limits being placed on quantities of 1C's as well....if the aircraft was produced in significantly limited quantities, they should be seen very infrequently...just like in real life.

fordfan25
03-04-2005, 05:49 PM

*cough* F4U1C *cough*

Servers full of them are so real as well eh? And if the -4 was available that is all you would see the Allied flyers in...Be sure. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

o yea the f4u-1c is so uber alright. its the same plane as the a but with 4X20mm. the ki84 has 4 20mm the la7 has 2 and those to fire almost twice as fast as the sairs. personaly i find the 50s a little better. but take the sair C out. if that would get rid of the waves after waves of ki84Cs then it would be more than worth it.

fordfan25
03-04-2005, 05:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Freid_:
The KI84c. They can't catch a Thunderbolt or a late model Corsair on level flight no matter how you tweak the pitch or trim. They burn real easy,you black out big time if you push em too hard. It would be nice if there were only zero's then the allieds would win 75% of the fights. With no self sealing tanks and less power ( zero) especialy against the later plane sets i can see that the Ki84's ruin the mood of the allieds! I had a fight last night with a P-47 that must have lasted over 5 minutes( No On else was around to bother us) it ended in a draw . A great fight !!! I didn't hear him complain once that i was in a Ki-84 but instead commented on a great match that was very even.
It is just a game ! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

bull lol. at low lv. flight the ki84 is faster than the p47 sair hellcat stang. in fact its faster than the p38l how ever i found that the ki84 will over heat faster than the p38L so i can normaly out run them as long as thay dont get a single 30mm hit in on me. it also ecelarates faster as it should.

Cardinal25
03-05-2005, 12:09 AM
You should fly a 190. Any year. They are uber.

Il2pongo
03-05-2005, 12:33 AM
"personaly i find the 50s a little better."
better then 4 hispanos? lol did you actually type that?

fordfan25
03-05-2005, 03:01 AM
lol yes i did. i find that its alot easyer to hit my target with the 50s. the 20m do hit harder and i take them when i know there are alot of bombers like the IL2 or Junker. but when im aginst a nimble fighter i find i have an easer time with the 50s. now maby in a B&Z type of tactic i can see the 20mm helping me more than the 50s. se my problem is mostly only with the KI84 C. sure the A and B moddles are fast as all get out and can turn like crazy but at least there not so easy to get that instant kill in on ya with one shot.you get a ki84C behind you with a good piolet that can aim even halfa$$ shot and you got little chance. i mean im not trying to say thay should not be flown at all or banned from servers but maby some kinda restriction would help balence the game a little. maby even put a limit on the f4u's as well. it would realy help if the J piolets had a little more choice in latewar fighters.

AFJ_Skyghost
03-05-2005, 03:36 AM
My plane of choice is the Spit MkVIII eliptical wings.
Flying that I can shoot 190s, 109, Ki84 no matter what version, La7, 185, whatever
I can also be killed by them.
What you have to do is to learn the best and the worst of each plane and use it on your profit.
Exploit their weakness and maximize your advantages, that s all you have to know to fly online.
All the rest is BS

SUPERAEREO
03-05-2005, 04:10 AM
My only beef with the Ki.84C is that possibly not more of three of them were ever built, and this makes seeing a D/F room full of them as hystorical as the Bf.109Z.

S!

reverendkrv1972
03-05-2005, 06:07 AM
I used to say the same thing about mohaa untill i was blue in the face...seeing 12 Germans running around with stg's (mp44)...

Ki-84c the George of cfs2? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

cool thing is a lot of the bullies that fly them dont actually 'fly' them,so if you can avoid them on 1st pass...you can either get on their backside,or get them to plant their plane cos they rely on the 1st pass hits.

I agree with limiting them,but I'd rather see blue team with axis planes & red team with allied planes...and some common sense & teamwork used in a TEAMGAME http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ty...i'll get back to my 'lame' planes now

Rev

EJGrOst_Caspar
03-05-2005, 07:57 AM
I am addicted to Fw190A-6 ... and sometimes A-9 ... counts on what opponents there are. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

VW-IceFire
03-05-2005, 08:06 AM
See when I fly the Ki-84, I tend to shy away from the 84c since it was a limited production run bomber killer.

Fly the Ki-84a which I think is personally the best of the 84s to fly. Its not the best plane going but its not bad either. On UK-Dedicated, I helped build a new scenario called Operation Autumn Storm which is the Soviet/Japanese conflict in the last month or so of World War II. Its an interesting battle because you have alot of P-63Cs and La-7s fighting against Ki-84a and 84b and the odd Ki-61 and so on (and for realisms sake, the I-16 and Ki-43 are also available in the scenario). Its quite an interesting matchup and it contians a good number of those so called "uber" planes. Surprisingly, the La-7 was not the favored aircraft against the Japanese in this scenario and the P-63 dominated.

Latico
03-05-2005, 10:57 PM
As sosmeone that almost exclusivekly flies Dive bombers online in the Z vs W server, it seems to me that there is an obsessive need to see a target bandit explode in the air. It's not enough to render it unable to manuever, or set it ablaze. OH NO!!! That bandit has to be obliterated into flaming pieces.

Obviously, ya don't need a super fast plane to over take a divebomber. Or a highly manueverable one either. But it sure helps to have those "uber cannons" if ya want to make a fireworks display out of an SBD.

I get shot down allot in the dive bomber. I expect to be shot down allot, since having fighter excort is a rare luxury. (but I'm able to take a few enemy fighters with me, now and then LOL) What amazes me is after My rear gunner is killed and then me, how long afterwards that the enemy pilot CONTINUES to pound the plane I'm in, all the way to the ground, or until it explodes.

VFA-195 Snacky
03-06-2005, 11:53 AM
Out of all the planes in this video game the Spitfire takes the least amount of actual "skill" to use. I will go from flying the P38 to flying one of these spits and it's like putting training wheels on, it's just that easy. That's my 2 cents http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

There is a saying: "Don't criticize, Uberize"
If your in a server full of Spits it might be time to break out the KI and Yak. lol Nothing worse than flying in a P38 with good pilots flying other difficult aircraft only to have the server overrun by rookies in SPits.

fordfan25
03-06-2005, 04:33 PM
yea the pit in this game is a easy bird to fly well to me. the only thing i dont like is the 20mm wing cannons run outa ammo kinda fast.

EnGaurde
03-06-2005, 04:43 PM
in my experience flying zeros against SBDs, its an even bet on who wins.

ill actually stay and fight a maneouvering sbd over a straight and level one, as the pilot is clearly flying and not in the gunners seat.

they are tough. Not invincible but a well flown one can be real tricky to down, and not be set alight in the process.

the pilots that are pounding a dead plane are quite frankly wasting precious ammo, as no japanese aircraft has enough to waste.

another thing, could be the prevalence of the dead smoking spinng plane that gets nicked by the kill stealer, effectively taking the credit for a downed aircraft.

thats prolly the best reason.

fordfan25
03-06-2005, 05:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EnGaurde:

ill actually stay and fight a maneouvering sbd over a straight and level one, as the pilot is clearly flying and not in the gunners seat.

they are tough. Not invincible but a well flown one can be real tricky to down, and not be set alight in the process.

the pilots that are pounding a dead plane are quite frankly wasting precious ammo, as no japanese aircraft has enough to waste.

another thing, could be the prevalence of the dead smoking spinng plane that gets nicked by the kill stealer, effectively taking the credit for a downed aircraft.

thats prolly the best reason. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

by the way EnGaurde. I gotta give you props man. i saw you in PT-LW srver last night in a zero. BRAVO buddy. iv found that the zero under the condistions of online dog fights are a tough fighter. not fast but boy can thay turn like a pitbull with a porkchop lide to its a$$. when i see a room full of zeks i like to forgo my trusty hog and fly the cat. -kinda- helps to even the speed out just a little.

Latico
03-06-2005, 09:19 PM

thats prolly the best reason. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's probably a little of both, EnGuarde.

If you ever get on my six when I'm in my SBD and it stops manuevering, you can count on me being finished. Cause as along as I have the controls to do it with, I'll be twistin and turnin that ol' Slow But Deadly crate every-which-way but inside out to escape a bandit or carry out a bomb run.

ElAurens
03-07-2005, 05:09 AM
I will give another perspective on firing to a sure kill... this is especially true if you fly Japanese aircraft.

I have on more than one occasion broken off of an apparently disabled/dead/leaking/smoking/sometimes burning, Allied aircraft, only to have said aircraft come around and attack me.

No longer...

I give 'em the gun till they crash, bail, or explode.
I will loiter over a team mate who is working on an enemy, not to steal a kill..I hate that, but, if my team mate breaks off and I see the enemy come around I will finish the job.

Remember, the Z vs. W and PT_LW servers are attrition servers. You win by attritting the enemy's assets. Be that ground targets or pilots. This is the nature of scripted servers. There is a winner and a loser, and I'd rather win.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Spinnetti
03-07-2005, 05:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fordfan25:
sure it can be flamed but only if you can get your guns on it. its faster than anything down low sept the p38. it can out turn every thing the US has in this game and with the 30mm it can kill in two or three lucky hits." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, a telling statement.. The KI is a great plane, period. If you fly (any plane) like the real aces, you don't fire until you are going to dang near run over your opponent... After years of playing, I'm finally good enough to not feel the need to 'Spray and pray'... In the KI, if you are any good at all, its one shot, one kill with the 30mm... And you thought it was "lucky shots"?

All fooling around aside, the kind of fighting folks do online rarely represents how things were in real life. The Japanese planes were great at dogfighting, and that was their undoing. US plans went in packs and simply B&Z on em. if a dogfight developed, they regrouped for another B&Z... Sooooo, dogfights favor the Japanese craft.. More power to em'

fordfan25
03-07-2005, 02:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spinnetti:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fordfan25:
sure it can be flamed but only if you can get your guns on it. its faster than anything down low sept the p38. it can out turn every thing the US has in this game and with the 30mm it can kill in two or three lucky hits." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, a telling statement.. The KI is a great plane, period. If you fly (any plane) like the real aces, you don't fire until you are going to dang near run over your opponent... After years of playing, I'm finally good enough to not feel the need to 'Spray and pray'... In the KI, if you are any good at all, its one shot, one kill with the 30mm... And you thought it was "lucky shots"?

All fooling around aside, the kind of fighting folks do online rarely represents how things were in real life. The Japanese planes were great at dogfighting, and that was their undoing. US plans went in packs and simply B&Z on em. if a dogfight developed, they regrouped for another B&Z... Sooooo, dogfights favor the Japanese craft.. More power to em' <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

thats just how i veiw it as well.