PDA

View Full Version : Missing Hurricane pilot, where's a good place to start a search ?

The.Tyke
12-26-2008, 12:42 AM
After a few glasses of wine, my mum (85 years) started to reveal all about previous loved ones in her life.
Apparently, she was engaged to a guy called Michael Daniels, a Hurricane pilot who was sent to the desert. The story goes that 4 volunteers were looked for, in order to attack a column of Rommel's armour. Two of the planes returned, one was shot down and this guy Michael was last seen loosing height and streaming smoke. The date was 16th June 1941 and my mum would love to know what happened to him as she waited for him until 1945 when she met my dad. Apparently, she gave him a leather wallet before he left which was eventually returned to his parents complete with a nazi stamp.

Anybody know where would be the best place to search for some info on this guy ?

The.Tyke
12-26-2008, 12:42 AM
After a few glasses of wine, my mum (85 years) started to reveal all about previous loved ones in her life.
Apparently, she was engaged to a guy called Michael Daniels, a Hurricane pilot who was sent to the desert. The story goes that 4 volunteers were looked for, in order to attack a column of Rommel's armour. Two of the planes returned, one was shot down and this guy Michael was last seen loosing height and streaming smoke. The date was 16th June 1941 and my mum would love to know what happened to him as she waited for him until 1945 when she met my dad. Apparently, she gave him a leather wallet before he left which was eventually returned to his parents complete with a nazi stamp.

Anybody know where would be the best place to search for some info on this guy ?

KRISTORF
12-26-2008, 02:20 AM
Try either the Ministry of Defence, Royal Air Force Association or even possibly the Royal British Legion.

If you can get his service number (I assume your mother may be able to provide this) your search will be easier

trumper
12-26-2008, 04:52 AM
PM Sent

ericson
12-26-2008, 01:37 PM
Hi. I did a search of the CWGC site. There is an entry for a Michael Kay Daniels aged 19 son of Herber and Grace. He was a Sgt pilot on 274 sqd service no 1162226. he was killed on 16061941. The huricane Squadron moved to Sidi Barini in April 41. Were it came up against the newly arrived Me109E's of JG27. It saw action over Crete in May and thereafter was involved in a defensive role over the Nile delta until October. Michael is burried in the Halfal Sollum war cemetary.

The.Tyke
12-26-2008, 01:43 PM
Great, thanks for the replies. I checked that site and got this, which is a start.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/certificate.aspx?casualty=2115962

MB_Avro_UK
12-26-2008, 02:57 PM
R.I.P.

Freiwillige
12-26-2008, 08:06 PM
R.I.P.

mhuxt
12-26-2008, 08:52 PM
You might need to check the O.R.B. for more information, though some of the desert squadrons' ORBs are sketchy at best.

I think Shores did a book called "Fighters Over the Desert" which gives a day-by-day account. (I think there might be two books in the series, going from memory here.) Might be some information in there.

Pingo1963
12-29-2008, 02:52 AM
Hi Tyke

This websit is the best when you have question like this http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Good luck

//Svend

The.Tyke
12-30-2008, 03:50 AM
Thanks very much, I got this reply from this site :

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/index.php

From my records, I have Michael being shot down on 15 June, the first day of Operation Battleaxe (the offensive against Rommel to relieve Tobruk and the push to Derna).

Michael had arrived on 274 Squadron on 12 June, and on 15 June was one of 10 pilots of 274 Squadron who participated in a strafe of the Acroma-Capuzzo Road. At about 1730 hours the Hurricanes were attacked by Bf109s from I/JG27 and four were shot down, one each by Hptm Neumann, Oblt Franzisket, Ltn Hoffmann and Ltn Kothmann. Indeed, two Hurricane pilots were killed, Michael (Hurricane V7348) and Free Frenchman Wt Off Charles Coudray; and two other French pilots survived, F/Sgt Marcel Le Bois (who returned on foot) and F/Off Antoine Peronne (who was taken prisoner).

Hope this helps.

Choctaw111
12-30-2008, 09:30 AM
The internet never ceases to amaze me. Your mother was talking about her fiance who went off to war and was laid to rest nearly 70 years ago. You mention it here and in just a few hours, someone came up with his full name, service number, a brief history about his squadron and where his final resting place is! Simply incredible. I will be interested to know what your mum has to say if/when you decide to share this with her.

The.Tyke
12-30-2008, 03:18 PM
Yes, I know. I was thinking the same about the internet.

The poor guy, only 3 days with the squadron from training and only 19 years old and he has the misfortune to run into 2 aces from I/JG27. Probably did'nt stand a chance. RIP.