PDA

View Full Version : Positive Things With 4.02

Monson74
10-18-2005, 01:34 PM
I like the new ground handling - the way you bounce & shake on the runway & the rattling sound is back like it was in the original IL2 - could be more though especially on rough grass runways/fields.

POV - great improvement over previous patches - we have better visibility over the hood to make deflection shots.

Feeling of mass - the few planes I've tried so far feels heavier up there in the thin air.

Monson74
10-18-2005, 01:34 PM
I like the new ground handling - the way you bounce & shake on the runway & the rattling sound is back like it was in the original IL2 - could be more though especially on rough grass runways/fields.

POV - great improvement over previous patches - we have better visibility over the hood to make deflection shots.

Feeling of mass - the few planes I've tried so far feels heavier up there in the thin air.

danjama
10-18-2005, 01:37 PM
I really like the new map. Cant wait to make good ol coops on it. And now i can use it in my upcoming movie too. I think the 109's are more accurate now. Try the 109G2. Before i could just yank the stick all the way back and hold it there until i was at 180kmh, not it snaps at around 250 unless you give the stick some slack and use rudder. feels more like im flying it if ya know what i mean.

fordfan25
10-18-2005, 01:53 PM
Positive Things With 4.02....theres going to be another patch at some point. LMAO j/k. i think the DM's on the 47 are tougher. the FW is no longer fire proof ect. the new boosted 47 is nice to have when fighting 109k's and D9's at lower alt. the wings dont seem to break off the stang as easy now. the dive rates for some resone seem better. the ecellaration on some of the planes seem less like a flying house and more like a 2000hp fighter. all of wich could be placebo effect http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Monson74
10-18-2005, 02:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by danjama:
I really like the new map. Cant wait to make good ol coops on it. And now i can use it in my upcoming movie too. I think the 109's are more accurate now. Try the 109G2. Before i could just yank the stick all the way back and hold it there until i was at 180kmh, not it snaps at around 250 unless you give the stick some slack and use rudder. feels more like im flying it if ya know what i mean. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

True - the G2 feels more like a plane now & not so UFOish http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Kocur_
10-18-2005, 02:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
the FW is no longer fire proof ect. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great, truly!
But why Yaks still are fire proof?

Professor_06
10-18-2005, 02:21 PM
And the T-bolt '44, what a blast. its actually dangerous now. I believe that the dispersion on the 50s is adjusted also. And yes, the 109 FM has improved. Still to easy to fly, Stall characteristics is too forgiving but definate improvement. Thanks 1C...

TacticalYak3
10-18-2005, 02:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">all of wich could be placebo effec </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you ever wonder how much the development team laughs when reading endless posts about a suppose change when in fact it is exactly the same? Me neither. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Where were we guys?

NorrisMcWhirter
10-18-2005, 02:34 PM
Yes, a bit like the 190 having some new, uber DM in 4.01 when, in fact, it just didn't catch fire or leak fuel as easily as before.

But that's been well and truly sorted now with p(fire|fuel leak) &gt; 0.9

Compare with La/Lagg DMs. They've been uber since day one without any action whatsoever.

Still, the 190 just wouldn't be so much fun *without* an Achilles heel http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Ta,
Norris

LeOs.K_Walstein
10-18-2005, 02:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TacticalYak3:

Do you ever wonder how much the development team laughs when reading endless posts about a suppose change when in fact it is exactly the same? Me neither. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not me either!

So far I`m VERY happy with the new FM.

Wallstein

TheGozr
10-18-2005, 03:10 PM
I'm sure good things will come out soon after more time on it from everyone.
the Clouds changed for the better.
New skins.
Great head movement.
Wind effect.
Exterior sounds deeper bass better.

And more more.

F19_Ob
10-18-2005, 03:13 PM
Europe map was great and useful in many ways, flexible, and not too big. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Tvrdi
10-18-2005, 03:17 PM
1. turnings are tougher for all planes now (at least without pedals since i dont have one) which is closer to the real thing (but ofcourse on. example its easier to turn with Spit than with bf109 at certain speed, which is correct)...finally we wont see a lots of unrealistic arcadish turn and burn maneuvers, mostly from the, ehm...bad pilots
2. better clouds, sounds, head movement
3. fixed bugs...listed in the readme
4. nice new map and new P47

what should be improved (in this limited game code/engine)..stall behaviour...we can recover (in some planes) after insane stalls near the ground....

ploughman
10-18-2005, 03:19 PM
The Spitfire doesn't yaw madly when you press fire.

Sounds better.

Some of that weird pitching motion that Stigler was always on about seems to have gone.

NW Europe is a great map.

The AI (early days yet) seems to have a slightly less robotic (ie more realistic) formation flying routine. I say this because in on mission in an A-20 on the NW Eur. map the AI wingman to my left drifted into me when I was flying straight and true, and a B-25 number 2 spent half a mission flying directly in front of me.

LEBillfish
10-18-2005, 03:21 PM
Type 1 & Type 3 fighters no longer have rudder trim as it's supposed to be ...(loved having it but incorrect).

Grey_Mouser67
10-18-2005, 03:57 PM
I do believe something good happened to the Mustang's elevator...It is so early I hate to say, but it seems that I can fly faster and the elevator response, while positive and good is not overbaked like it used to be. It still flips on its back with a pull of the stick and stall which isn't right but at least you keep your wing and it is a bit harder...or so it seems right now!

The new Jug is a bit of a let down to me...i guess my expectations were too high...guys/gals, don't take my word for it but you need to test it for yourselves. I'm getting only 10km/hr improved performance up to around 6800 meters and then performance falls off. I can handle the better low alt. performance, but I was not expecting a top speed of 434mph...so far that is the best I have gotten...I thought it might run around 455-465...not quite N numbers...I also have the opinion that the Jug quivers like a big bowl of jello... It is early and online play will definitely sort it out for me...more later.

On the good...no, very good side, the difficult to fly aircraft were not dumbed down, but rather the easy to fly aircraft were made more difficult to fly...still very dampened controls but I can definitely feel a difference...so early...need to get back to flying!

PF_Coastie
10-18-2005, 04:03 PM
Have you all tried flying with flaps down now?

VERY NICE! The controls get very mushy.

I came in hot for an Emergency landing and deployed landing flaps, almost lost it until I realized what was going on. Very nice effect, me likes. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

jds1978
10-18-2005, 06:18 PM
new P47=sweet

better graphics

.50 cals now act like a real HMG

controlls are now more touchy...doesn't allow radical/unrealistic maneuvering

fixed that crazy sway in Spits/Jugs/Mustangs when firing guns.

AI Bandits

Bearcat99
10-18-2005, 06:31 PM
Mustang rolls faster at higher speeds... it also seems to accelerate better.... and it dives better.

SkyChimp
10-18-2005, 06:41 PM
I like the easter egg.

PBNA-Boosher
10-18-2005, 09:26 PM
GROUND EFFECT!

dazza9806482
10-19-2005, 12:58 AM
Remind me what ground effect is, someone? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

and whats the easter egg?

dont say a chocolate confectionary mockup of one of the avian developmental stages....

i like the new yak how about u boosher?

WOLFMondo
10-19-2005, 01:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bearcat99:
Mustang rolls faster at higher speeds... it also seems to accelerate better.... and it dives better. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All planes seem to dive and roll allot better. I was suprised how quickly the Dora now builds up dive speed.

Monson74
10-19-2005, 02:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dazza9806482:
Remind me what ground effect is, someone? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

and whats the easter egg?

dont say a chocolate confectionary mockup of one of the avian developmental stages....

i like the new yak how about u boosher? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think ground effect means the roughness of the ground itself - when taxiing, take-off, landing & ditching. There's more shake & rattle. I tried to ditch the new Yak & even at low speed the ground hit me hard & caused a nice tumble http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

ploughman
10-19-2005, 02:21 AM
Nice clouds too.

dazza9806482
10-19-2005, 02:26 AM
I thought it was a air cushion effect that altered handling when close to the ground!

u learn something new everyday http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

so what about the easter egg

mauld
10-19-2005, 02:50 AM
The pressure pattern of air around an aircraft flying out of ground effect is almost cylindrical with positive pressure below the wing and negative pressure above the wing. Pressure differentials are felt quite a distance from the airframe, and the cylinder of affected air has a diameter close to that of the wingspan of the aircraft.

When the aircraft is close to the surface -- in ground effect -- coming into contact with the surface modifies the almost cylindrical vortex-induced circulation around the wing. This flattens the cylindrical circulation pattern and reduces the downwash angle of the air behind the wing. This flattening of the cylindrical circulation spreads the pattern outwards below the wing and increases the effective span of the wing. The aerodynamic aspect ratio of the wing is also increased.

When the aircraft flies close enough to the ground that the sag of the vortices trailing the wingtips is restricted by coming in contact with the ground, the backward-tilting angle of the total lift vector is reduced, thereby reducing its horizontal component and reducing induced drag.

The combination of the reduction in the downwash angle of the air behind the wing and the increases of both effective wingspan and aerodynamic aspect ratio of the wing occur when the wing is close to the surface. These increases in aerodynamic efficiency of the wing are what we call ground effect.

Monson74
10-19-2005, 03:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mauld:
The pressure pattern of air around an aircraft flying out of ground effect is almost cylindrical with positive pressure below the wing and negative pressure above the wing. Pressure differentials are felt quite a distance from the airframe, and the cylinder of affected air has a diameter close to that of the wingspan of the aircraft.

When the aircraft is close to the surface -- in ground effect -- coming into contact with the surface modifies the almost cylindrical vortex-induced circulation around the wing. This flattens the cylindrical circulation pattern and reduces the downwash angle of the air behind the wing. This flattening of the cylindrical circulation spreads the pattern outwards below the wing and increases the effective span of the wing. The aerodynamic aspect ratio of the wing is also increased.

When the aircraft flies close enough to the ground that the sag of the vortices trailing the wingtips is restricted by coming in contact with the ground, the backward-tilting angle of the total lift vector is reduced, thereby reducing its horizontal component and reducing induced drag.

The combination of the reduction in the downwash angle of the air behind the wing and the increases of both effective wingspan and aerodynamic aspect ratio of the wing occur when the wing is close to the surface. These increases in aerodynamic efficiency of the wing are what we call ground effect. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What he said http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Sharpe26
10-19-2005, 03:39 AM
I like the Spitfire now, You can actually do some damage to German aircraft now.

Kwiatos
10-19-2005, 03:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Monson74:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by danjama:
I really like the new map. Cant wait to make good ol coops on it. And now i can use it in my upcoming movie too. I think the 109's are more accurate now. Try the 109G2. Before i could just yank the stick all the way back and hold it there until i was at 180kmh, not it snaps at around 250 unless you give the stick some slack and use rudder. feels more like im flying it if ya know what i mean. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

True - the G2 feels more like a plane now & not so UFOish http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It depends which way you turn left or right.

Still other slots planes are ufos expecially LA series and Migs http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Monson74
10-19-2005, 06:05 AM
Formation: In campaigns it is now actually possible to follow your leader & give him some cover without blacking out http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

rnzoli
10-19-2005, 06:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dazza9806482:
I thought it was a air cushion effect that altered handling when close to the ground!
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, that 'air cushion' is the ground effect in aviation terminology. Basically, when the ground gets close enough, the rate of your descent will decrease without pulling the stick. IRL it can be used to make a nice flare before touchdown.

Ground effects like bouncing during taxi, flipping over when landing on rough terrain, or the most common, leaving a burning crater when trying to fly through the terrain, is gamers terminology. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

FlatSpinMan
10-19-2005, 06:08 AM
@dazza - I'm guessing the easter egg is one of the little features hidden away in some corner/hilltop of the map. I know there is a castle and a radar installation on the tops of two hills but i have't found anything else unexpected. I hear there is a POW camp though.

Feathered_IV
10-19-2005, 06:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">POV - great improvement over previous patches - we have better visibility over the hood to make deflection shots. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have a different POV? I havent seen anything different yet. Can someone enlighten me?

dazza9806482
10-19-2005, 06:16 AM
@Flatspinman:

Yeah the new map is really excellent heavily populated with ground objects...

im going to enjoy a few sight seeing flights.

although perhaps the POW camp is not one to fly over sightseeing!

i wonder if there will be any info on the map so missions builders know where to find this stuff. a pow breakout precision strike would be cool. maybe use friendly vehicles that shouldnt be destroyed amongst the targets....

FlatSpinMan
10-19-2005, 06:16 AM
Feathered_IV - you are not alone. I'm still trying to work out what head movement is. I THINK I can detect a slight wobbling when I bank hard but that might just be the alcohol kicking in http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Anybody...?

FlatSpinMan
10-19-2005, 06:21 AM
@dazza - that sounds a good idea but you don't want me on your team. For me, ground attack = plow into the ground on the third pass trying to get just one truck/ plane/ flak gun. I really have to try a Sturmovik campaign to try and correct this problem. Can you believe after a year of flying a sim originally named Il-2 Sturmovik I have only done perhaps four sturmovik missions(plus a couple of slaughter fests online.
This game is huge in scope - so much to try out.

dazza9806482
10-19-2005, 06:34 AM
Oh yeah i still display moments of staggering pilot stupidity.

P51's love them but usually end up wingless in a dive.

ME262 fav plane but im always on fire and not from enemy muntions

bf109 usually forget to adjust my fuel after using p51 and run out of gas.

carrier takeoffs ultimately end up being run over by the carrier after i lose it on takeoff.

coops spend 5 minutes flying to intercept only to collide on my first pass.

ground attack usually accidently hit bomb release en route destroying some kulaks farmstead. one for stalin and collectivisation!

etc. etc.

still love it tho! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

FlatSpinMan
10-19-2005, 06:38 AM
Great minds...

PBNA-Boosher
10-19-2005, 06:53 AM
The New Yak is awesome, yeah. I tried it against 2 ACE Bf-109F-4's last night and I took em both down with just the MG's. It's one of my new faves!

And yes, ground effect is like that "cushion." Put it this way, when you get close to the ground, like 1/2 of your wingspan, you can float along for a while(as long as you're above stall speed) and touch down very nicely.

Ground Effect IS NOT the way the planes handle on the ground. that's Taxiing.