PDA

View Full Version : Gun Sight Realism

Demons7th_Baker
11-18-2004, 02:22 AM
I like the P-40B....Did the real fighter planes have this glowing/floating gunsight on the windshield? I personally would rather see the Iron sights....sure would be nice to have a little cockpit editing program???????

ImpStarDuece
11-18-2004, 02:50 AM
Yes, almost ALL WW2 fighters had a reflector gunsight. Its what real pilots used and IRL it was/is much better than an iron sight. Iron sights were only kept for emergencies, like when the bulb burned out on the reflector sight. Pilots in WW2 often flew without the reflecor on however, generally to stop the bulb from burning out before action was expected.

No, it is not possible to have a cockpit editing program. Unlike the CFS serise the airplane and cockpit models are all centrally supervised by 1c Maddox games and user mods are NOT used in this game. If you are really keen to be able to use the iron sights start a petition and get some people to jump on your bandwagon. Other than that model a cockpit with a iron sight and submit it to Oleg as a replacement for the current cockpit.

Unfortunately for you Demons7th the likelyhood of either two of these things happening is slim to non existant. I"m afraid that what you see is what you get. In terms of combat, your way better off with a reflector sight than an iron sight. Some of the japanese models in PF do have a telescopic sight, similar to a rifle sight.

Welcome to the boards BTW. ITs a steep learning curve (goes with the game) but a pretty cool forum all round. Just dont feed the trolls and were flame proof unmentionables and you'll do well.

leadbaloon
11-18-2004, 03:18 AM
It would be really nice if we could turn the reflector sight on and off, so that it could be left off and only turned on when enemy 'planes come into sight, or if it burned out occasionaly. The Spitfire has the spare bulbs modelled on the right hand side of the cockpit, maybe there could be a command that would replace the bulb, but only after a delay to simulate the time required to change the bulb.

It'd probably lead to all kinds of arguments over how long it takes to change a lightbulb in the heat of battle though.

...and yes, I'm aware there are other things that need fixing, but I thought I'd throw it in anyway.

AWL_Spinner
11-18-2004, 03:31 AM
Something I'm hoping for in BoB is sights that actually look like the ones you see in the film "Battle Of Britain" etc., where it actually looks like a fairly primitive reflector (flare, bright, not pinsharp) rather than the sight appearing on the glass with the precision of a jet fighter HUD.

That would be good, I like making life more difficult for myself http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Cheers, Spinner

Chuck_Older
11-18-2004, 10:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Demons7th_Baker:
I like the P-40B....Did the real fighter planes have this glowing/floating gunsight on the windshield? I personally would rather see the Iron sights....sure would be nice to have a little cockpit editing program??????? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The reflector sight really is superior to iron sights.

The reflector sight lets the pilot's head be in a position in which he doesn't have to keep the ring and bead of an iron sight in alignment

Some aircraft in WWII had a lead-computing sight of sorts, Check out the P-51D-20NA, and switch the sight to "gyro" mode.

Some of these things do surpise folks, such as reflector sights being in use in the '30s and '40s. Did you know that the US Navy, for example, was using a type of computer in their submarines and surface warships in WWII? Sounds weird, but it's true

VW-IceFire
11-18-2004, 12:28 PM
The Tempest V had no physical ring sights at all. Infact, unlike the planes we have here (except maybe the Corsair), the sight was projected onto the windscreen itself meaning that there was little obstruction between the target and the pilots viewpoint.