PDA

View Full Version : AI & ground attack

tomtheyak
11-19-2005, 04:22 PM
Hi guys. Wondered if any one else is getting a problem I'm having regularly when flying offline campaign GA missions?

A large percentage of your squadron pulling split-S-***-wingover manoeuvres at very low alt after bombing and consequently piling in. The other night I tried one mission three times and on all occasions after the rest of the flight dropped their ordinance they pulled up, performed an approximate 270 degree turn then executed this stunt and ended up with only one other flight member surviving (including me...)

Before tagert gets in I don't have tracks yet; I'm getting some awful lag thing when playing back tracks which rules out their usefulness as a recording device.

I just want to see if anyone can replicate this suicidal lawn darting of the friendly AI?

tomtheyak
11-19-2005, 04:22 PM
Hi guys. Wondered if any one else is getting a problem I'm having regularly when flying offline campaign GA missions?

A large percentage of your squadron pulling split-S-***-wingover manoeuvres at very low alt after bombing and consequently piling in. The other night I tried one mission three times and on all occasions after the rest of the flight dropped their ordinance they pulled up, performed an approximate 270 degree turn then executed this stunt and ended up with only one other flight member surviving (including me...)

Before tagert gets in I don't have tracks yet; I'm getting some awful lag thing when playing back tracks which rules out their usefulness as a recording device.

I just want to see if anyone can replicate this suicidal lawn darting of the friendly AI?

LEXX_Luthor
11-19-2005, 04:31 PM
Yough, if you post the mission text file here, we will copy and paste it and play it and see what happens, or look at the waypoints in the FMB.

VW-IceFire
11-19-2005, 08:58 PM
I have seen that and it revolves around improper waypoint setups.

You have to be careful with the altitudes and speeds...if you are careful then it works as expected. Otherwise, they do what they are told to do and crash...

Honestly, the AI in this game works very well...they are stupid...like lemmings really...but they do what they are told to do. So if you say to the AI: "Hey you! Go fly here at this speed and altitude and then right away you need to go do this speed and altitude and no I don't care if it involves breaking the laws of physics!"

Now a human would scoff and do it his own way...the AI just crashes into the ground http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

ECV56_Rolf
11-20-2005, 06:16 AM
There are some curious things with tha AI, 2 weeks ago i tried an old mission with AI U2 flying low on a mission that worked well before. There was a hill in front of their path, and they stubbornly tried to go through it.

I give them altitude enough to avoid the hill as an obstacle, but then the weirdest thing happened. The last plane of the three 4 planes formations, nosed down and smashed to the ground from 1000m and without anything in front of it... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

The solution was to change all flight paths to be a lot more spaced than before.

But this was a mission that used to work fine before. I just quit trying to made them fly at low altitude.

tomtheyak
11-20-2005, 07:46 AM
The trouble is that this has no input from me in the waypoint stage.. the mission is actually DGen generated as part of an RAF spitfire campaign. So no changing available!

Also the behaviour I have described is happening on ANY DGen campaign GA mission - three missions later had another GA at an airfield and the same thing happens.

I fly the number 4 position - the flight breaks into trail formation as usual before the attack waypoint - all is good. Then as we hit the IP all aircraft dive to build up speed then pop up in order to aquire target and begin bomb run - still all good, all is as should be.

The various flight members drop their ordinance with varying degrees of success then climb away to start their orbit prior to recommencing attacks with strafing runs.

THIS IS WHERE THE PROBLEMS HAPPEN.

As they orbit going through about 270-450 degrees of a circle, the lead aircraft suddenly launches himself into an inverted wing over AT ONLY 800-1000ft. The rest of the AI flight follow and whilst attempting a pullout end up smouldering wrecks on the deck. One sometimes gets away with it but genearlly I lose an entire flight. This happens regularly on Dgen generated GA missions since 4.02.

This does not seem to be waypoint related at all - but more a question of AI programming for their attacking of ground targets.

Maybe you offline campaigners could give it a try yourselves so I can determine if its a global issue or just a freaky occurance with my machine?