PDA

View Full Version : A trim question......

Bearcat99
07-02-2005, 08:22 PM
I got my HOTAS after FB came out.. when I was flying IL2 i was so into just flying the sim I really didnt get into trim much at all... how close to IL 2s trim is this trim? Is it the same? A little less? I know it is more responsive than 3.04 but how close to the origial IL2 trim that everyone was so busy compa=laining about is this?

Bearcat99
07-02-2005, 08:22 PM
I got my HOTAS after FB came out.. when I was flying IL2 i was so into just flying the sim I really didnt get into trim much at all... how close to IL 2s trim is this trim? Is it the same? A little less? I know it is more responsive than 3.04 but how close to the origial IL2 trim that everyone was so busy compa=laining about is this?

LStarosta
07-02-2005, 08:29 PM
All I can say is that it's laggy. IRL, trim is instantaneous, more or less. I hate how in IL2, you click the button so many times and it takes forever for the trim effect to occur. By then you've overtrimmed and then you have to think how many times you have to click back. What a fricken hassle.

LStarosta
07-02-2005, 08:37 PM
By the way, don't anyone tell me I know nothing about trim. I fly my airplanes almost entirely with trim. I only touch the yoke for take off and landing and sometimes in turbulence or other occasions where I must maneuver suddenly. I guess I am just Ace like that. Nate and I are pretty much awesome pilots. People are so jealous of our yoke and throttle skills, that they threaten to report us to the FAA all the fricken time, GOSH!

WWMaxGunz
07-02-2005, 08:53 PM
Bearcat, with the FM changes it's not the same thing any more. Try trimming full up while
you push the stick more and more down and then see what happens when you pull a hard turn.
That exploit used to work in IL2.

If you didn't use trim normally, as in not exploiting but actually trimming for the speed
you were at in IL2 then you weren't getting near full performance out of those planes.
Same thing ever since but now the extra magic missing drag element seems to be gone.
You should still endeavor to keep the plane in trim however freaking artificial hard it is
considering the blind (but only for us keyboard trimmers) and delayed nature of the control.

Maybe if we get another patch, that delay code will be removed. It never stopped the
exploits before, only made them less easy but it really screws up legitimate trim use.

Bearcat99
07-02-2005, 09:17 PM
I dunno.. I have my trim on a slider so it is pretty much instantaneous.

Tully__
07-02-2005, 11:47 PM
BC, the keyboard trim is different to the original. The original had no delay and 5 clicks always gave the same result. This one has delay and trim applied is determined by cumulative "key down" time, IE: 5 long "clicks" gives more trim input than 5 short ones.

The slider/rotary trim is close but still a little different. The reponse curve is more savage in the current version than in the original. Until now I've never considered adjusting response on a trim axis, but I think this patch is finally going to have me delving into conf.ini's rts_joystick section for something other than a major control.

JG5_UnKle
07-03-2005, 03:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LStarosta:
By the way, don't anyone tell me I know nothing about trim. I fly my airplanes almost entirely with trim. I only touch the yoke for take off and landing and sometimes in turbulence or other occasions where I must maneuver suddenly. I guess I am just Ace like that. Nate and I are pretty much awesome pilots. People are so jealous of our yoke and throttle skills, that they threaten to report us to the FAA all the fricken time, GOSH! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif He he he

Trim has been messed around in this sim because of all the trim cheating stuff, it just got silly. I have mine on a rotary/slider and I have just learned how much to 'dial-in' to get the trim needed. I use it for keeping nose level at high speeds more than anything else. Not for turning...

But if you have a flashy HOTAS like a Cougar you can do whatever you like with trim http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

As for real life no, it doesn't compare, it has this mushy delay and it means you keep overcorrecting. In light a/c at least you just need X-clicks and you know it will be trimmed out as you like.

Oh and what WWMaxGunz said