PDA

View Full Version : Romanian Airfields in the Kerch Strait - Kuban Area

pacettid
05-27-2004, 04:19 AM
am researching a new scripted dogfight map for the 'Fallen Angels' Server, and I want to honor the brave pilots of the Romania Escadriles.

Anyone have any idea which airfields were used by Escadrile 43, Grupul 8?

I know they were assigned to coastal defense in the Kerch area in Oct. 1942, and they must have fought in the air campaign at the Kuban Bridgehead.

I would like to build two maps, one for Kerch 42, and one for Kuban 43, so I would appreciate any additional info you might have on this.

Thanks in advance

All the best, Don

pacettid
05-27-2004, 04:19 AM
am researching a new scripted dogfight map for the 'Fallen Angels' Server, and I want to honor the brave pilots of the Romania Escadriles.

Anyone have any idea which airfields were used by Escadrile 43, Grupul 8?

I know they were assigned to coastal defense in the Kerch area in Oct. 1942, and they must have fought in the air campaign at the Kuban Bridgehead.

I would like to build two maps, one for Kerch 42, and one for Kuban 43, so I would appreciate any additional info you might have on this.

Thanks in advance

All the best, Don

SUPERAEREO
05-27-2004, 04:34 AM
Maybe some info can be found in the books by Bernád Dénes. He published one with Osprey and one with Squadron Signal, if I'm not mistaken.

S!

"The first time I ever saw a jet, I shot it down."
Chuck Yaeger

pacettid
05-27-2004, 05:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SUPERAEREO:
Maybe some info can be found in the books by Bernád Dénes. He published one with Osprey and one with Squadron Signal, if I'm not mistaken.

S!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks...I took your recommendation and ordered a copy http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

All the best, Don

SUPERAEREO
05-27-2004, 05:21 AM
They are good books. Not sure if the info you are after is in there but I'm sure you will enjoy the read. I have just moved and my copies are still packed up unfortunately.

S!

"The first time I ever saw a jet, I shot it down."
Chuck Yaeger

PBNA-Boosher
05-27-2004, 05:51 AM
Lord of the Rings, man.... Lord of the Rings...

DuxCorvan
05-27-2004, 09:36 AM
I'm afraid Escadrila 43, whose CO until 1942 was Valentin Vizanty and operated P.11s until 1943, belonged to Grupul 3 by Autumn 1942, and was in home defence roles in Galati airfield. So I'll treat separately Escadrila 43 and Grupul 8.

GRUPUL 8 VӚNATOARE

Between Sept. and Nov. 1942 the Escadrila 42, which were part of Grupul 8 (IAR.80), was stationed along with Escadrile 41 and 60 and Grupul 6 (Escadrile 61 & 62, bombers IAR.81 and 109E-4/B, E-7/B) in Tuzov airfield -often the target of Soviet attacks- all of them operating in the Stalingrad area. At the same time Grupul 7 (Escadrile 56, 57 & 58, fighters Bf 109E) was mainly stationed at Karpovka.

In mid-January 1943, Grupul 6 & 8 were withdrawn to Rumania.

ESCADRILA 43 VӚNATOARE

The P.11-equipped Escadrila 43 commenced operations over Bessarabia from Bosanci airfield, in Bukovina. Then, as said, returned to Galati airfield.

Escadrila 43 was equipped with Bf 109G-2 in Spring 1943, and transferred to strengthen Grupul 7, which had retreated to Stalino and was also totally equipped with 109G-2 and G-4s.

On June 1943, Grupul 7 moved to Mariupol airfield, and by end of July to Kramatorskaya.

On August 17th Slt av Georgescu of Escadrila 43 lost his arm after a hard dogfight with Yaks.

Kramatorskaya was evacuated in early September, Grupul 7 being stationed in Dnepropetrovsk and Mariupol, and later in the month in Genichesk, were they received their first Bf109G-6s.

By Spring 1944, attacks from USAAF and Soviet offensive led the Grupul 7 to defend the capital, and being deployed to Gheraesti-Bacau, Moldavia, to face the enemy advance.

After the Rumanian coup d'état, Grupul 7 merged with Grupul 9, and in October 1944, was sent to Hungarian front under CO Cantacuzino, this time to face the Axis.

- Dux Corvan -
http://www.uploadit.org/DuxCorvan/Altamira2.jpg
Ten thousand years of Cantabrian skinning.

Crimea_River
05-27-2004, 04:40 PM
Try this:

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/2072/IAR80.html