PDA

View Full Version : Will the night muzzle flashes ever be modified?

BelaLvgosi
01-21-2005, 12:51 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/hostinghere/nightflash.jpg

Well, I guess there's not much to say. I understand that during the night these should affect the view much more due to high contrast. But IMHO it still looks exagerated as before merged install, as if they were from a different gun. TIA.

noshens
01-21-2005, 12:59 PM
imo you are wrong.

Stiglr
01-21-2005, 01:02 PM
If you recall earlier discussions, the important issue was that they display properly in the DAYTIME, since that's when an overwhelming percentage of combat is fought.

A second point might be, at night, the effect really IS that intense. It doesn't appear that huge in the daytime, but at night it does. Want more proof? Certain planes with exhaust stacks along the side of the nose were no factor in the day; at night, the blue flames wreaked havoc with pilots' night vision so these had to be obscured.

|CoB|_Spectre
01-21-2005, 03:42 PM
I realize they were toned-down somewhat a few patches ago, but I still find it curious that guns mounted in a ventral pod beneath the cabin floor on a Bf-110 produce muzzle flash that illuminates the cockpit. It's not a make-or-break for me, there are more important issues to address. Still, I hope it's addressed in BoB if it's due to another limitation of the existing graphics engine. It ain't right!

p1ngu666
01-21-2005, 03:43 PM
yep @ stiglr, exhausts glowed too, and sparks and all sorts of things u wont really see in the daytime

mk108 was unpopular with nightfighter pilots cos of muzzleflash.

british night fighters had cannons in the floor, and mossies's 303's in the nose had flash reducery things

germans had similer things i think

p1ngu666
01-21-2005, 03:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by |CoB|_Spectre:
I realize they were toned-down somewhat a few patches ago, but I still find it curious that guns mounted in a ventral pod _beneath_ the cabin floor on a Bf-110 produce muzzle flash that illuminates the cockpit. It's not a make-or-break for me, there are more important issues to address. Still, I hope it's addressed in BoB if it's due to another limitation of the existing graphics engine. It ain't right! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yep that sucks too

DONB3397
01-21-2005, 04:33 PM
I'm not sure about the degree, but muzzle flashes at night will destroy your 'night vision' with one burst in actual conditions. Without flash guards, the exploding gases will light up the night big time.

IMO, the sim reproduces the effect pretty accurately. Which doesn't mean I like it.

J_Weaver
01-21-2005, 06:45 PM
It may be a little much, but there would be a big muzzle flash at night.

Stiglr
01-21-2005, 08:11 PM
Yep. IIRC, it was pretty much agreed* that the overall day muzzle flash represented more of what the effect was at NIGHT, which was bass-ackward. It was felt, if it couldn't be correct for both day and night, it should be correct for the day, where 90% of the combat actually takes place.

And, IMO, that effect for night is not overdramatic as it is now.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>*That is, after everyone finally understood that the large muzzle flash you see recorded in photography and on film did not match the effect produced on the human EYE in daylight <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BelaLvgosi
01-21-2005, 09:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stiglr:
Yep. IIRC, it was pretty much agreed* that the overall day muzzle flash represented more of what the effect was at NIGHT, which was bass-ackward. It was felt, if it couldn't be correct for both day and night, it should be correct for the day, where 90% of the _combat_ actually takes place.

And, IMO, that effect for night is not overdramatic as it is now.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>*That is, after everyone finally understood that the large muzzle flash you see recorded in photography and on film did not match the effect produced on the human EYE in daylight <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the responses, I'm always learning something around here http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif. I brought up this because lately I've been doing some night/late afternoon coops and the memories of a blinding screen were somehow very far away until then.
Looking from other perspective, it looks now to me as if the current version of night flashes isn't a fotographic representation as the daily one, but a way to represent the blinding effect of such strong light source, rather than the extension of the flames, wich seems a little too big (but not the lightning effect/flash!). Now, the representation of this kind of sensorial effects it's always very hard to do but necessary (black out as an example), it could also be a much smaller flame, but more white and a "phantom" could remain in the view for some seconds (flash grenades on rainbow 6 as an example). Cheers!

zaelu
01-22-2005, 03:50 AM
The liting of the cockpit by the underfuselage guns is just a graphic error, like the wrong reflection of objescts on water shores. The liting of the cockpit by the gunflash also seems the same in daytime as for nighttime. But I'm sure we will live with it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif .

Extreme_One
01-22-2005, 12:11 PM
Not often I agree with Stiglr but this time I do. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Stiglr
01-22-2005, 12:19 PM
On a side issue, Bela, the blackout effect is not badly done.

I've experienced this, and the only thing it's missing is that your *hearing* fades out as well. And it's the *last* thing to come back when you snap out of it. It's very eerie...

BelaLvgosi
01-22-2005, 06:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stiglr:
On a side issue, Bela, the blackout effect is not badly done.

I've experienced this, and the only thing it's missing is that your *hearing* fades out as well. And it's the *last* thing to come back when you snap out of it. It's very eerie... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad to know about this, as in most sims it has a very similar representation, altough the only strange thing in this one is a pattern with crossed lines instead of simple gradient or something similar but it still works nice. For the loss of audition, it makes all the sence if vision is affected too. Having this effect in the game would provide some strange situations as blacking out, being slightly shot and "waking up" findind a strange roll tendency in the plane (if not something worse as no working surfaces).
Btw, in the previous post I didn't point anything wrong about it, I just mentioned it as being very subjective. TI