PDA

View Full Version : Oleg - quick Object request for future patch.

Triple_AA
01-06-2005, 09:03 AM
Hi Oleg. I hate to ask for more, and I'm sure your pretty fed up with the never ending requests, but sorry, I just couldn't help my self! Here's another. It's related to FMB.

When sprucing up airfields, especially in PF, I'd like to be able to place, "Forest" objects around the base. (Small versions of the 3D forests used it FB/AEP/PF.)

As it stands now, the ony way to dress up a base is doing so one tree at a time, tree by tree until you've filled in an area. It's a long and tedious task, even when you have clumps of three or four tree's to work with, and still doesn't fill in very well, especially when viewed from the air.

Imagine how good an air strip would look with a bunch of 190's lined up along the edges of a narrow strip through the trees just like in the later years of the war!

We already have large items like cliff's that can be used as a small island or a point attached to a land mass, so why not little forest blocks?

They look great from the air and would really dress up the bases.

Another good thing about having "forest" objects added to the object list, is that unlike the "single" tree objects that "pop-corn" into view as you approach them, (which really kills emersion) these would be visible at all times.

As an example, find some pic's of Henderson field on Guadal Canal and look at the tropical forests surrounding it, then compare it with the sparse or totally lacking forest around the airstrip in PF. It sure would look good with the extra "salad!"

Their weakness? I know they don't look so great from ground level, practically disappearing, but filling in the edges with the "single" and "clump" tree object would solve that problem, and save some FPS. It would also provide a great view from the cockpit during landings and take-offs.

Additonal FPS could be saved by adding the single tree's only to the edge of the forest that faces the runway.

Well there you have it. Another "Gimmee-gimmee". Sorry and thanks!

Extreme_One
01-06-2005, 10:18 AM
Good idea!

Troll2k
01-07-2005, 03:36 PM
Trying to bring an already fps challenged game to its knees?

When the pacific island map first came out in aep people were editing the map to REMOVE trees so it would be playable.

Triple_AA
01-07-2005, 05:08 PM
I suppose it all depends on your rig. The suggestion was by the way, aimed at adding a new "object" to the objects list that mission builders could use, not for more tree's to be added to all maps by Oleg and company.

The idea came from a campaign I'm working on. I surrounded Henderson Field with the "clump" palms, as well as rows of single palms to duplicate the old banana plantation where tents were set up. They just don't look as good as the suggested "Forest object" would. Frame rate wise, I haven't noticed much if any Frame rate loss because of the the tree's I've added, compared using none at all. But I do get the feeling that besides looking better, "3-D forest objects" would be easier on every ones rig. (As for performance, maybe the 3-D forests don't bother me because I changed the setting in my ini to Forests=1.)

Besides, the real FPS killer (In PF) that really kill my machine aren't because of the tree's. It's because of the guns firing from ships (Even when there are no enemys nearby they shoot! That one has me scratching my head!)

Even simple machine guns firing from the landing craft cause stutter and Frame rate hits, and that's on a stock map! It seems that AAA fire has been a problem with the sim since day one. Maybe (some day) this will be fixed in a future patch.

As for the tree's, I've only added enough to make it look good from the runway or when you do low passes. With my current settings, there's no noticable hit, but you don't even see them when your above 1,500 or 2,000 meters. as I said above, they start "pop-corning" into view as you get close to them.

To be a bit more specific in regards to what I was suggesting above, I'd like to see, lets say a "1-acre" sized patch of 3-d forests (like those that already come on the maps) that a mission builder can add to fill in the scene and be visible at distance from the air. From the ground, adding a few single and clump trees would fill in the view for the virtual pilot.

Whether one or the other, 3-D Tree's vs. user added singles and clumps, is tougher on frame rates I don't know. Only Oleg could tell us. But I'm sure that a 3-D forest object, usable by the mission buider, could be offered in a kind of cut rate, discounted, lower quality 3-D version that would still fit the bill but not have a big frame rate hit. But like I said, only Oleg could say and so far I don't think he's even seen this thread.

zaelu
01-08-2005, 09:21 AM
And a way to line up lights on the runway please. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

LEXX_Luthor
01-09-2005, 01:12 AM
Great idea for placing Forests in FMB. Small frontline airstrip buried in trees. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

I can see a problem because most of the maps are not flat (same issue as hoping for flat Test Runways). Also, planes may not know to blow up if it hits Forest made by FMB....but...planes know to blow up if they hit other FMB place-able Objects, so this should be possible. The flat issue is still there.

However, flat forest is good if you can make a program that writes mission text files that can place forest off-map, that would let us create a 1000km deep by 500km wide "Eastern Front" map. We can do it now, but its barren flat landscape with no navigation features. FMB place-able forests would let us navigate off map.