PDA

View Full Version : Would like to see straight on notes/blocks

ZumaRocks
10-24-2011, 10:27 PM
One thing I have trouble with occasionally is trying to figure out which fret I'm supposed to be on, especially with leads. There's not really enough time to look down to the neck to see if I should be fingering the 7th or 8th.

I was playing the Pixies song with the lead working out on the 4th and 5th frets of the high E and B strings. All of a sudden the screen turned towards me and the whole note progression was coming straight at me and not off to the side. It was MUCH easier to play the notes that way. I would love to see all songs that way in the future if it's possible.

ZumaRocks
10-24-2011, 10:27 PM
One thing I have trouble with occasionally is trying to figure out which fret I'm supposed to be on, especially with leads. There's not really enough time to look down to the neck to see if I should be fingering the 7th or 8th.

I was playing the Pixies song with the lead working out on the 4th and 5th frets of the high E and B strings. All of a sudden the screen turned towards me and the whole note progression was coming straight at me and not off to the side. It was MUCH easier to play the notes that way. I would love to see all songs that way in the future if it's possible.

AlexLifeson
10-24-2011, 10:54 PM
Yes I still get confused and miss notes due to the 3D effect / side angle and so Im usually off by 1 fret too low.

I think they cant do it straight on due to RB already has that patent/license so others have to make it look different or else pay royalties.

Same would be if RB tried to make a real tone cable to use. they'd have to pay RS for the idea since they got it 1st

Tiran_Kenja
10-25-2011, 02:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AlexLifeson:
I think they cant do it straight on due to RB already has that patent/license so others have to make it look different or else pay royalties.

Same would be if RB tried to make a real tone cable to use. they'd have to pay RS for the idea since they got it 1st </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. That is not how things work.

Truth be told I don't know if there are any patent involved in this. But if anyone has a patent on 'straight on nodes' it would be the Guitar Hero franchise. And while it was originally Harmonix that created it. It is owned by Activision.

But it appears that Harmonix had no trouble moving on to make Rock Band. So unless they are paying a license fee to Activision for that (and a bunch of other ideas and technologies that goes into those games). I am guessing it is not patented.

Same goes for detecting nodes from audio input (in which I seriously doubt the Real Tone cable has anything to do except feed the audio into the console). You don't automatically own patents on inventions unless you file for them - and they get approved.

As for the UI in Rocksmith I suppose they did want to be a bit unique. But I also think the idea is to better give a good representation on the entire fret board and when you have to move around on it. As in GH and RB you don't actually move around on the guitar. You don't really need to make it clear that things are going to move to somewhere else.

in RB3 with the guitar pro mode they sort of try to do the straight on thing as well. Showing the main fret number and then a wave that sort of shows how to hold your fingers. It works okay. But I think Rocksmith wants to be closer to tabs so your knowledge of playing does not get too specific to the game.

SeattleSauve
10-25-2011, 10:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tiran_Kenja:
in RB3 with the guitar pro mode they sort of try to do the straight on thing as well. Showing the main fret number and then a wave that sort of shows how to hold your fingers. It works okay. But I think Rocksmith wants to be closer to tabs so your knowledge of playing does not get too specific to the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure what you mean by rocksmith wanting to be closer to tab... RB3 pro mode (with chord numbering turned on, not the default "wave" model) is literally vertical tab, what rocksmith has with a 3D color note system and a sliding highway is a big departure from basic tabulature.

I haven't had enough time to get used to the RS interface yet since I just started playing, but I definitely feel the learning curve on the user experience is way steeper with RS than with RB3's pro guitar if you're playing at a higher level because RB3's pro guitar mode is so close to tabulature.

One example I ran into yesterday was: I was playing a riff while the chart was off on an angle, and for the life of me I couldn't tell which order a couple of the notes should be played in. They were really really close together, and I didn't know the song, so having the chart on that angle made it really difficult for me to tell. Usually I would have been able to just hear it, but this riff was really one I just wasn't able to dissect from the experience. I never had this issue with the RB3 interface. It was always clear which note was hit when.

bperry44
10-25-2011, 11:11 AM
I have the most trouble with 2/3 and 4/5 - because when it's on angle, those are the sharpest and toughest to figure out which fret.