PDA

View Full Version : Will this CFS2 feature be included in PF?

TimTam27
07-12-2004, 03:17 AM
The announcement of PF got me interested in the Pacific theatre so I thought I would load CFS2 back on the hard disk and give it another go. Not all that good but there are a lot of third party AC you can download.
I downloaded a Fairey Swordfish because I wanted to see if I would be better at carrier landings if I used a slow biplane.
Anyway, there I am on final approach the little fellow in the corner waving at me furiously when I realize I had forgotten to lower the tail hook. I hit what I think is the Hook key but still miss the wire and have to go round. While flying back to make another approach I went to external view to have a look at the little blue animated exhaust flames when I am more than a little suprised to see that my wings have folded! To my suprise this in no way affected the flying qualities of the AC. Which is either a special feature of CFS2 or that the Swordfish was a more impressive plane than I had previously thought.
If this feature was implemented in PF then we would be able to have up to three aircraft abreast landing similtaneously, cutting down enormously on all the time we spend flying round in circles waiting for our turn to land.

I for one think this should be added to PF forthwith. I don't care if it adds another six months to the release date.

TimTam27
07-12-2004, 03:17 AM
The announcement of PF got me interested in the Pacific theatre so I thought I would load CFS2 back on the hard disk and give it another go. Not all that good but there are a lot of third party AC you can download.
I downloaded a Fairey Swordfish because I wanted to see if I would be better at carrier landings if I used a slow biplane.
Anyway, there I am on final approach the little fellow in the corner waving at me furiously when I realize I had forgotten to lower the tail hook. I hit what I think is the Hook key but still miss the wire and have to go round. While flying back to make another approach I went to external view to have a look at the little blue animated exhaust flames when I am more than a little suprised to see that my wings have folded! To my suprise this in no way affected the flying qualities of the AC. Which is either a special feature of CFS2 or that the Swordfish was a more impressive plane than I had previously thought.
If this feature was implemented in PF then we would be able to have up to three aircraft abreast landing similtaneously, cutting down enormously on all the time we spend flying round in circles waiting for our turn to land.

I for one think this should be added to PF forthwith. I don't care if it adds another six months to the release date.

Yellonet
07-12-2004, 03:49 AM
Folding wings is implemented in PF. Of course.

- Yellonet

Cess_Wizard
07-12-2004, 04:03 AM
But unlike that swordfish one would hope that wing folding affected the flight characteristics of the plane http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ploughman
07-12-2004, 04:24 AM
That just shows how accurate a sim CFS2 is. It was considered very bad manners to land on RN carriers without first folding your wings, a bit like wearing hats inside or tripping up old ladies. Aircraft handlers would often push aircraft that had landed with fully extended wings straight off the flight deck and into the drink. Offending pilots would have to swim after their carrier and climb up the anchor chains. Very few pilots made this embarrasing faux pas more than once. I've never seen this little known aspect of carrier aviation modelled before, Microsoft products are truely top notch and rarely more than a shadow's width short of perfection.

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/784.gif

Scottly666
07-12-2004, 12:12 PM
That Swordfish was set up in a strange way by the guys that made it. Until FSDS2 came out, it was impossible for 3rd party planes to have folding wings in the same way as the stock ones. The Swordfish guys simply mapped the wing folding animation to the flaps control, because the Swordfish didn't have flaps. So if you hadn't decided to drop the flaps on a plane that didn't even have them, there would have been no problem.

Actually, the stock planes and all those 3rd party ones done with FSDS2 use the standard wing fold animation/key command combination, which does alter the flight models. However, you can only fold the wings if you are on either a carrier deck or the ground.

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/5579/belushi_1941_4.jpg
"Pull my finger to hear what I think about Hellcats"