PDA

View Full Version : Of planes and cars

Unknown-Pilot
01-28-2006, 09:46 PM
I saw a Top Gear clip on the new V8 MG. Clarkson said it sounded like a Spitfire, and when talking about it's price, and crappy build quality, said that the Germans were laughing at it, then added "but the last time they challenged us, they came up against he Spitfire".

Although, Stig-y couldn't manage to beat the M-B or Porsches though. lol He said to the audience "The 109 has beaten the Spitfire", and they all booed. lol Apparently there's an option for a nitrous kit, from the factory, that gives up to a total 1000hp and they were planning to bring it back with that kit and see what it could do.

So it got me to thinking about such comparisons. And also why I like some planes, and not others.

I don't like the P-51. And it's not because I'm a GM guy, since I like the classic Mustangs. I don't like the P-51 because it's overhyped, doesn't deserve it's rep, and is just too damn over popular.

I really should like it - It's American, it looks nice, it's fast, and I like energy fighters. But... It just has no soul. It's fast, sure, but there's just nothing there. It's completely unsatisfying, and even unpleasant, to fly. I'm not talking about how it's modeled or isn't modeled. Other than the hyper strong elevators, I'm sure it's fine. And it's certainly a *very* capable ride, it's just boring.

The Jug is another matter entirely however. It has character. It's much more enjoyable to fly. It feels like a classic American Muscle car from the late 60's. Like a GTO Judge, or a 442, or a '68 Firebird 400, or a Yenko 427 SS. It's big, mean, and goes like a bat out of hell. It doesn't turn all that well, but isn't as hopeless as people claim, but takes much skill to get every last bit of capability out of.

It's no wonder I like it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

The 190 (another favorite ride), seems to me like a late model 911 Turbo, or Boxter S, or Cayman S. It's fast as hell, and incredibly agile, but, if you don't handle it properly, it'll "push" endlessly. (since the MR or RR design allows for the font to be very low inertia and change direction quickly, it reminds me of the 190's roll, but if you don't handle the weight transfer, you'll understeer right off the track/road, which reminds me of how you can bleed all the speed off the 190, and not go anywhere, if you don't also handle it properly)

Spitfires remind me of an XJ220 with a speed limiter. Tons and tons of grip for cornering, excellent acceleration under the right circumstances, but not very agile, despite the cornering grip. (that is, it'll do better on a skid pad than it's slalom scores would suggest, or vice versa)

The 109 is sorta like late model Pony cars. Snap your neck acceleration, and good nimbleness and cornering ability, but not particularly exceptional in either instance.

Haven't really thought too much about the others yet though.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Unknown-Pilot
01-28-2006, 09:46 PM
I saw a Top Gear clip on the new V8 MG. Clarkson said it sounded like a Spitfire, and when talking about it's price, and crappy build quality, said that the Germans were laughing at it, then added "but the last time they challenged us, they came up against he Spitfire".

Although, Stig-y couldn't manage to beat the M-B or Porsches though. lol He said to the audience "The 109 has beaten the Spitfire", and they all booed. lol Apparently there's an option for a nitrous kit, from the factory, that gives up to a total 1000hp and they were planning to bring it back with that kit and see what it could do.

So it got me to thinking about such comparisons. And also why I like some planes, and not others.

I don't like the P-51. And it's not because I'm a GM guy, since I like the classic Mustangs. I don't like the P-51 because it's overhyped, doesn't deserve it's rep, and is just too damn over popular.

I really should like it - It's American, it looks nice, it's fast, and I like energy fighters. But... It just has no soul. It's fast, sure, but there's just nothing there. It's completely unsatisfying, and even unpleasant, to fly. I'm not talking about how it's modeled or isn't modeled. Other than the hyper strong elevators, I'm sure it's fine. And it's certainly a *very* capable ride, it's just boring.

The Jug is another matter entirely however. It has character. It's much more enjoyable to fly. It feels like a classic American Muscle car from the late 60's. Like a GTO Judge, or a 442, or a '68 Firebird 400, or a Yenko 427 SS. It's big, mean, and goes like a bat out of hell. It doesn't turn all that well, but isn't as hopeless as people claim, but takes much skill to get every last bit of capability out of.

It's no wonder I like it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

The 190 (another favorite ride), seems to me like a late model 911 Turbo, or Boxter S, or Cayman S. It's fast as hell, and incredibly agile, but, if you don't handle it properly, it'll "push" endlessly. (since the MR or RR design allows for the font to be very low inertia and change direction quickly, it reminds me of the 190's roll, but if you don't handle the weight transfer, you'll understeer right off the track/road, which reminds me of how you can bleed all the speed off the 190, and not go anywhere, if you don't also handle it properly)

Spitfires remind me of an XJ220 with a speed limiter. Tons and tons of grip for cornering, excellent acceleration under the right circumstances, but not very agile, despite the cornering grip. (that is, it'll do better on a skid pad than it's slalom scores would suggest, or vice versa)

The 109 is sorta like late model Pony cars. Snap your neck acceleration, and good nimbleness and cornering ability, but not particularly exceptional in either instance.

Haven't really thought too much about the others yet though.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif