PDA

View Full Version : Which Stick to Get???

Faltalis
06-01-2008, 07:47 AM
Hi I'm about to buy this game and through my reascher on this game I have realized you need a stick(controler thing) to enjoy this game fully.

My question is: Which Stick should i get if im a new player in terms of, price and how well it preforms.

Thank You Faltalis

Faltalis
06-01-2008, 07:47 AM
Hi I'm about to buy this game and through my reascher on this game I have realized you need a stick(controler thing) to enjoy this game fully.

My question is: Which Stick should i get if im a new player in terms of, price and how well it preforms.

Thank You Faltalis

Lubcke
06-01-2008, 07:48 AM
ch

Faltalis
06-01-2008, 07:50 AM
Sorry I don't know what that is can you be more specific in your responses giving the products full name and where I can get it?

ImMoreBetter
06-01-2008, 08:02 AM
I suggest buying a Saitek AV8R.

Good quality and relatively cheap.

Many people who pick this game up, put in down within a month. No sense in buying an expensive CH stick if you are one of those people.

Faltalis
06-01-2008, 08:03 AM
K thanks I'll go look that up. =)

VW-IceFire
06-01-2008, 08:04 AM
Yep a joystick is a great thing to have for a game like this. A keyboard is absolutely not a good substitute.

Lubcke mentions CH Products which is probably the absolute best you can get (Google CH Products), however, CH is very expensive. The CH Products are rock solid and will last years and years but you pay the price for that kind of level of manufacture.

I'd recommend Saitek and I'd recommend avoiding Logitech. Saitek sticks run from about $20 to the $200 range depending on what you want to have. I have a Saitek X-52 that I'm very happy with...a bit on the expensive side but worth looking into. If the X-52 is a bit too much...the Aviator or the Cyborg are good options.

If you can get your hands on an old Microsoft Force Feedback 2 those are really good sticks as well...but hard to find as they don't make them anymore.

Faltalis
06-01-2008, 08:06 AM
Thanks For your imput. Do I order online or are there stores that sell them?

Faltalis
06-01-2008, 08:07 AM
O Btw im planing on getting the IL-2 1946 all in one game.

ImMoreBetter
06-01-2008, 08:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Faltalis:
O Btw im planing on getting the IL-2 1946 all in one game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, this is the one you want. You'll only be a single patch away from catching up to the current version.

Faltalis
06-01-2008, 08:55 AM
Anybody know if any stores sell them???
Either the Game or the Saitek Aviator?

Sirrith
06-01-2008, 09:39 AM
amazon or ebay should sell both for good prices, I dont know what stores would have them.

VW-IceFire
06-01-2008, 09:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Faltalis:
Thanks For your imput. Do I order online or are there stores that sell them? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Both are options. Just like any other consumer product. No idea what country you live in or where so stores and availability varies quite a bit no doubt.

AWL_Spinner
06-01-2008, 12:04 PM
On the CH thing. Yes they're a bit expensive but they REALLY LAST so if you're a long term simmer I'd say it'll probably save you a replacement or two.

I sold my analogue set (Flightstick Pro and Pedals) after a full decade of use from FS-98 and DID's EF2000 up to IL2:1946, they were still as sharp as ever but I thought it was about time I went USB!

Now Combatstick 568 and Pro Pedals... Amazon doing both together for $187 inc. free shipping (in the States) - Make that $157 if you have an Amazon Visa - That seems like a pretty good price to me!

PanzerAce
06-01-2008, 12:50 PM
Except you still need to buy a throttle. That really is what turned me off of CH, you have to spend close to 300 bucks to get a throttle, stick and rudder, but if you go with saitek, you get the twist rudder (which I personally like, and I don't have room under my desk).

AWL_Spinner
06-01-2008, 04:35 PM
Ah, well I'm the opposite. I can live with a rotary throttle on the stick base, and there's more than enough buttons and four/eight-ways on the stick.

I can't live without my feet on pedals!

Each to their own http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

joejoemonkey
06-01-2008, 04:47 PM
if you live in the united states, canada or mexico, and have a fast internet connection, you can buy it online here http://www.direct2drive.com/1/3021/product/Buy-IL-2-Sturmovik:-1946-Download

thats what i did, no problems or compatibility issues at all. though i would recommend burning the download file on a dvd as you cannot redownload the prog more than a couple times.

Bearcat99
06-01-2008, 04:54 PM
Thank You Faltalis </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Welcome aboard.. I recommend that you consider getting a stick from here (http://saitekusa.stores.yahoo.net/recprod.html).. at least initially.. I suggest that you go for something like an Aviator.. or an Evo initially.. IMO it is better to spend $30-$40 on a stick now... find out you really really like simming... and down the line decide to spend $100 + on a better setup with a better understanding of what you want and need whether CH, Cougar or Saitek or whatever... than to drop $70+ now and find you really dont like this simming thing at all....

You can easily spend in excess of $350 on controllers alone for this pastime once you consider a decent stick, throttle, and rudder pedals setup... and toss in TIR and you have another $150.. so take your time and concentrate on learning and enjoying the sim... the urge/need to spend more and get better hardware will come on it's own once the sim bug settles in.

As far as getting the sim.. if you are in the U.S. then just about any retailer will have it... or you can order it online .. but you want to get a hard copy of the disk. Don't do a DL... get a disk.

jayhall0315
06-01-2008, 07:18 PM
I agree with Bearcat wholeheartedly above while at the same time, saying that if you want quality, look to the CH HOTAS system. I have their Fighterstick/Pro Throttle/Pro Pedals and they are sweet ! No crazy deadband, no sloppiness, no failing pots, just rock solid precision. Yes, they are more expensive (about $270 for all) but then you dont have to replace them every six months or once a year. They are also built with the true simmer in mind and have nice high end features.

Jay

TheFamilyMan
06-02-2008, 12:56 PM
If you live in the USA and have Fry's stores in your area they carry a pretty decent selection of Saitek and Logitech joysticks at not-too-bad prices. They usually have demos sitting out so you can get a feel for the stick though they can be pretty trashed. I started with a logitech (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826102204) because I didn't know any better and it served me well for my $30 investment. I agree too that the Saitek aviator is a good 'starter' stick. I've since moved on to the complete triad: Saitek X52 Pro and pedals, and a TrackIR (http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/).

R_Target
06-02-2008, 02:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AWL_Spinner:
Ah, well I'm the opposite. I can live with a rotary throttle on the stick base, and there's more than enough buttons and four/eight-ways on the stick.

I can't live without my feet on pedals! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto on that one. First things first. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif Then get a refurb X52, chuck the stick in the closet, and just use the throttle.