PDA

View Full Version : Rome - Dusk: A glitch and an ethical question.

purrkinator
02-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Greeting Assassins!

First post, please be nice.

I think I finally found a game I'm decent at.

Last night I came across two glitches in two different games both on Rome - Dusk.

1.) Game 1 - no NPC loaded for the first six minutes and the game began with 2 pursuers on me which quickly increased to three. Shopkeepers loaded but the only other personas on the playing field were player characters (usually with big triangles over their heads). As I'm a stealth player I used this experience to learn how to run the roofs, and instead learned how to die with grace and humility over and over and over again. Has a game ever not loaded the NPCs for you? Is there a way to fix this without quiting?

2.) Game 2. With one minute to spare I was sitting in second. Three pursuers on me. I was in the market and watching a blend group w/ two courtesans getting ready to pass me (I play as the courtesan). Right as they're about to pass me and I was going to join them they freeze mid-animation and start to "blink." This is clearly a glitch in the game. As I walk up to them I notice I start to blink as well. Then the whispers start. So I stop and stand in this "glitch bubble". I get two lures - incidentally not from the other two courtesans in my blend group. And then my third pursuer shows up, is clearly confused so I go for the stun. His predator is my prey and they quickly arrive. I get my focus kill and rocket to first. Game over.

The subsequent lobby board was filled with cries of me being a cheater.

So, dear assassins, did I cheat that win or did I use an in-game glitch/anomaly to my advantage? It's not something that I can create, nor it would be something I would create if I could. I merely took an opportunity that presented itself at the last minute and used it to my advantage. Afterall, "nothing is true and everything is permitted."

Ethical or not?

purrkinator
02-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Greeting Assassins!

First post, please be nice.

I think I finally found a game I'm decent at.

Last night I came across two glitches in two different games both on Rome - Dusk.

1.) Game 1 - no NPC loaded for the first six minutes and the game began with 2 pursuers on me which quickly increased to three. Shopkeepers loaded but the only other personas on the playing field were player characters (usually with big triangles over their heads). As I'm a stealth player I used this experience to learn how to run the roofs, and instead learned how to die with grace and humility over and over and over again. Has a game ever not loaded the NPCs for you? Is there a way to fix this without quiting?

2.) Game 2. With one minute to spare I was sitting in second. Three pursuers on me. I was in the market and watching a blend group w/ two courtesans getting ready to pass me (I play as the courtesan). Right as they're about to pass me and I was going to join them they freeze mid-animation and start to "blink." This is clearly a glitch in the game. As I walk up to them I notice I start to blink as well. Then the whispers start. So I stop and stand in this "glitch bubble". I get two lures - incidentally not from the other two courtesans in my blend group. And then my third pursuer shows up, is clearly confused so I go for the stun. His predator is my prey and they quickly arrive. I get my focus kill and rocket to first. Game over.

The subsequent lobby board was filled with cries of me being a cheater.

So, dear assassins, did I cheat that win or did I use an in-game glitch/anomaly to my advantage? It's not something that I can create, nor it would be something I would create if I could. I merely took an opportunity that presented itself at the last minute and used it to my advantage. Afterall, "nothing is true and everything is permitted."

Ethical or not?

papartusedmcrsk
02-02-2011, 10:12 AM
1.) Never had this happen. Sorry.

2.) You didn't cause the so-called "glitch bubble," you just used it to your advantage. Don't sweat it, anyone would do the same. There is no one that would just think to themselves 'Oh there's a glitch around me, I guess I should set down my controller and wait it out so no one thinks I did something immoral."

So, to answer your question: nothing unethical about it.

El Zo1212o
02-02-2011, 11:34 AM
1. Never even heard of that happening.

2. The stun was a bit fishy. When Altaiir tried to use that phrase as an excuse for his actions, Al Mualim chastised him for misusing the idea. He goes on to explain exactly what that phrase means, but I can't recall what he said exactly.

On the whole, you didn't cause the glitch, so standing there seems reasonable, just to see what happens. But using it to get a stun(read: exploiting the glitch) was less than kosher in my opinion.

Welcome to the forums, by the way.

E-Zekiel
02-02-2011, 12:39 PM
Not unethical. Wasn't your fault it happened.

RebeccaLH
02-02-2011, 01:08 PM
You cant realy be a 'cheat' when you never caused the glitch.

MrGerbz
02-02-2011, 01:09 PM
You can't reproduce the glitch, so no worries.

Something that would get you banned however, is making use of a repeatable glitch multiple times, like (for example) a place where you can go outside the borders of a level so you can't be reached by people who don't know of the glitch.

Now if you did that once (hopefully by accident or when playing with friends), there would again be no problem.

purrkinator
02-02-2011, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the replies - I'm not losing sleep over this, I'm just the type of player who offers congrats when bested and tries a rematch to see what I can learn. Heck, if I'm griefing a player with stun after stun after stun I'll even let them know how they're revealing themselves to me. So, unanimous cries of "cheater" were suprising to me. Of course, it's Xbox live...

I liken it to a tactic I've used a few times when an NPC is running into a wall - if we're of the same persona and I hear whispers I'll also run into the wall to appear like a glitching NPC. It's only happened three or so times but I've gotten the escape/lure/stun each time. I'm just blending the best I can. Nothing like hiding in plain sight. ;-)

allyson9514
02-02-2011, 01:21 PM
1.) Never had that happen before.

2.) As for the glitch, no I don't think you did anything wrong. I mean its not like you hacked the server to glitch the game (or did you?). So why shouldn't you take advantage of what happened? To be honest, I have complained before that some people have killed me using what I felt were unfair advantages (well not online but still I have been known to swear frequently and loudly when having a bad round). But to be honest, this is a game about being the best ASSASSIN! And we're expected to use our skills to the best of our capabilities to achieve the highest score.

If that means hanging out in crowds and haystacks to ambush your targets, so be it. If that means running along the roofs to take shots at your targets so be it. And if that means utilizing glitches that appear in the game from time to time to achieve our goals, so be it. Its a game where you are expected to kill people. I don't think there's a great deal of moral high ground here in this instance. After all, it might be argued that the people who kept finding you so easily in your first game were unfairly taking advantage of the fact that no NPCs spawned.

You didn't cause the problem but you benefited from it; in my mind there's nothing wrong with that.

Assassinsyk
02-02-2011, 01:51 PM
Iīm a little drunk, but I canīt help but get a little moved by this.

break it down, we all belong to a community where one discusses ethics around winning/"taking advantage" in a "computer game".

letīs all give ourselves a pat on the back, and hug the homie to your left.

Cheers.

obliviondoll
02-02-2011, 03:15 PM
1. Never had that happen to me, but been in a game where it happened to someone else - they just walked around, because they were the only person who didn't see NPCs, so they had no trouble picking people out of Morphed groups, but they'd occasionally see a player nearby stab empty air and get a lure bonus.

2. As everyone so far has already said, if you knew what caused the glitch, and made it happen again to take advantage, then it would be cheating. As it is, with no real reference for what caused it and what exactly was happening, you had no way to even be sure that stun would land, so I call that fair. Particularly when you've had glitches spoil a previous game for you.

If you're accused of cheating, make sure you report the glitch to Ubisoft Support - just in case someone reports you as a cheater.