PDA

View Full Version : steam vs. electric torps

LANCER25
06-05-2005, 10:24 PM
Hey all I was wondering about something i've noticed in my torpedo solutions. When using steam torpedoes and using my weapons officer help on solutions I always seem to have good success with hitting ships right where I place the periscope on the ship. Now when I use electric torpedoes and have the same weapons officer draw up a solution they always seem to miss behind (astern?) the ship. With periscope locked on using both torpedoes steam usually always hit with the fast run setting while the electrics usually always miss. Is there something i'm missing? Just minutes ago I was 800 meters away from a small merchant with close to 90 degree aob and him steaming steady at 8 knots he never even saw me and never changed speed or course. I missed him with two electrics both passed behind and I even had both doors open before I fired. Changed to steam and and hit him right where I placed the periscope. What a wasted three fish on one small merchant.

LANCER25
06-05-2005, 10:24 PM
Hey all I was wondering about something i've noticed in my torpedo solutions. When using steam torpedoes and using my weapons officer help on solutions I always seem to have good success with hitting ships right where I place the periscope on the ship. Now when I use electric torpedoes and have the same weapons officer draw up a solution they always seem to miss behind (astern?) the ship. With periscope locked on using both torpedoes steam usually always hit with the fast run setting while the electrics usually always miss. Is there something i'm missing? Just minutes ago I was 800 meters away from a small merchant with close to 90 degree aob and him steaming steady at 8 knots he never even saw me and never changed speed or course. I missed him with two electrics both passed behind and I even had both doors open before I fired. Changed to steam and and hit him right where I placed the periscope. What a wasted three fish on one small merchant.

Frederf220
06-06-2005, 01:31 AM
Check your TDC window before firing.

Inside the dial where you set the target's speed, there is a window in the dial card. Inside this window is the torpedo's speed. Make sure it reads correct before firing.

It's a known bug that switching from a fast torpedo tube to a slow torpedo tube. The TDC doesn't always update the torpedo speed in its calculations.

gabriel_cd
06-06-2005, 04:24 AM
Click on the S-M-F torpedo speed switch to make sure that the right speed for TII's is selected. The switch won't move, but it will correctly set the speed to slow.

AVGWarhawk
06-06-2005, 01:22 PM
I stick to the steam torpedos. They are faster and I find more do their job when sent out. Even rough seas. I know they make a bubble trail but if you are close enough when using them, boats have little time to react and move out of the way. Just my deal with the torpedos. I used some of the homing torpedos in a scenerio...they are cool.

Xerx790
06-06-2005, 05:36 PM
t is a really odd buglet. In the game the T2 (not the T3) electric torp has a range of 5000m but it only moves at 28 knots (Not the 30 knots of the better made T3).

I assume you use the T2? Try it out with a T3 and you get better hits. And the TDC will not update speed unless always click on it.
Update: Confirmed as Frederf220 poster says. Make sure to always click.

Look, T2 moves at 28 knots = 14.4 m/s. So in traveling roughly 800 meters to target, 800/14.3 = 56 seconds. The TDC is usually pointing at the center of ship (unlock the view and shoot in front of it).

In 56 seconds to target, the ship moved at 8 knots moved 230 meters. At 30 knots it would have moved only 213 meters.Yep for a small merchant you just missed it by that error 17 meters.

Torp probably moved more than 800 meters in travel so it really is more like 22 meters off. Just about half the length of a small merchant.

Since the TDC points in the center and a small merchant is not very big, it will tend to hit in the rear and maybe even miss. Especially if you forget to OPEN the TUBE first (2 second delay). I see you did open tube. The AI officer is oblivious to this buglet. Manual target I nail it every time.

Trust me, I tesed this for a dev Elaniaba, the description for the T2 in game is wrong (30 knots for 1.8 km) under patch 1.3 but the game physics is corrected. But...

It was fixed and is historicaly correct for a cold T2 fish, it is 28 knots for 5 km.

Whether the silly TDC engine knows this, well....use T3 later in war when you can buy them, or use the fast T1 which gives away your position.

LANCER25
06-07-2005, 10:07 PM
thanks guys that did the trick