PDA

View Full Version : .50 cal MG in IL2

REDHAWK_1
08-23-2005, 09:52 PM
~S~ ALL!!!
I have been reading a lot of threads concerning the Browning .50 cal MG.in IL2. I see where many people feel that the 50 cals are over model or under model. Are they under or over model? And about the effect when u fire them and the bounces all over the place.
1st lets look at the question to whether they are over or under model.
To me in IL2 the 50 cals are ok, the reason I am saying this is because I think 1c is useing the standard 50 cal rounds.
There are 3 types of .50 cal rounds that was used.
1. the standard .50 cal round which a had a tracer every 5th round. Thses rounds where mostly used on the ground.
2.There was a Armour Piercing Round with every 5th round was a tracer, and was used for lightly Amanour things.
3.Then there was the Armour Piercing Incenataries Rounds with tracers every 10th round. The API where used mostly in the the American Fighters and in the Bombers. Almost every Amerincan Fighter where equip with API rounds. So when they hit an enemy plane the Incenataries would ingite and cause damage to that plane. So are the Browning 50 cal. MG under model in IL2, maybe they are if 1c isnt useing the API rounds in the American Planes.
After talking to Mustang Pilots such as Robin Olds, Charles McGee, and Chuck Yeager, they have said that the 50 cals with the API rounds had a great powerful punch to them. Chuck Yeager
shot down 5 Bf 109 in one battle in a P-51D and Maj.James Howard shot down 5 ME 110 in a half hour flying a P-51B on 11 Jan. 1944 and was awarded the Medal Of Honor for that mission. So the Browning 50 cal. MG with the API rounds do have a great punching power.
Now to the question about the plane bouncing and yawing when u fire them. I notice that quite abit in the game, but is it from fireing the MG or is it due to what kind of joystick u are useing. Plus to the fact of what kind of weather contions u are flying in.
In real life u have to to in consideration of the wind factor plus weather contions and all the other factors when in Air to Air Combat.
You can have the best sable gun platform and still have all thoes things happen because of the wind and weather factors involved.
So in away the Browning 50 cal MG are under model due to that fact that they are useing the standard 50 cal round and not the API rounds. plus also maybe the German planes DM are a little bit over model.
Hope this helps explain why the Browning 50 cal MG in IL2 are weak.

REDHAWK_1
08-23-2005, 09:52 PM
~S~ ALL!!!
I have been reading a lot of threads concerning the Browning .50 cal MG.in IL2. I see where many people feel that the 50 cals are over model or under model. Are they under or over model? And about the effect when u fire them and the bounces all over the place.
1st lets look at the question to whether they are over or under model.
To me in IL2 the 50 cals are ok, the reason I am saying this is because I think 1c is useing the standard 50 cal rounds.
There are 3 types of .50 cal rounds that was used.
1. the standard .50 cal round which a had a tracer every 5th round. Thses rounds where mostly used on the ground.
2.There was a Armour Piercing Round with every 5th round was a tracer, and was used for lightly Amanour things.
3.Then there was the Armour Piercing Incenataries Rounds with tracers every 10th round. The API where used mostly in the the American Fighters and in the Bombers. Almost every Amerincan Fighter where equip with API rounds. So when they hit an enemy plane the Incenataries would ingite and cause damage to that plane. So are the Browning 50 cal. MG under model in IL2, maybe they are if 1c isnt useing the API rounds in the American Planes.
After talking to Mustang Pilots such as Robin Olds, Charles McGee, and Chuck Yeager, they have said that the 50 cals with the API rounds had a great powerful punch to them. Chuck Yeager
shot down 5 Bf 109 in one battle in a P-51D and Maj.James Howard shot down 5 ME 110 in a half hour flying a P-51B on 11 Jan. 1944 and was awarded the Medal Of Honor for that mission. So the Browning 50 cal. MG with the API rounds do have a great punching power.
Now to the question about the plane bouncing and yawing when u fire them. I notice that quite abit in the game, but is it from fireing the MG or is it due to what kind of joystick u are useing. Plus to the fact of what kind of weather contions u are flying in.
In real life u have to to in consideration of the wind factor plus weather contions and all the other factors when in Air to Air Combat.
You can have the best sable gun platform and still have all thoes things happen because of the wind and weather factors involved.
So in away the Browning 50 cal MG are under model due to that fact that they are useing the standard 50 cal round and not the API rounds. plus also maybe the German planes DM are a little bit over model.
Hope this helps explain why the Browning 50 cal MG in IL2 are weak.

VW-IceFire
08-23-2005, 10:03 PM
Not sure on belt composition. You may be right...no idea.

I don't get alot of shake when firing the guns. Most people feeling alot of yaw effects while firing and correcting onto target should look at the sensitivity slider for their rudders in the game.

I've got mine on a custom curve...the default is 100% across the board.

FritzGryphon
08-23-2005, 10:40 PM
Please don't instantly assume that M2 is weak; it's not. On average it takes 3-4 bullets per 1 Hispano shell to shoot down planes, like historical data suggests. Aircraft damage models are a different story. Attack some P-39s instead of FWs, and you'll see what I mean.

As for the belt, it's 1 tracer every 4th round. The belt is APIT, AP, HE, AP.

http://members.shaw.ca/evilgryphon3/sync1.jpg

FritzGryphon
08-23-2005, 10:54 PM
Data posted by Oleg a while back. Values used in the game.

------------

Browning .50
// APIT - AP - HE - AP

APIT
mass = 0.0485
speed = 870.0
power = 0.002

AP
mass = 0.0485
speed = 870.0
power = 0

HE
mass = 0.0485
speed = 870.0
power = 0.00148

NonWonderDog
08-23-2005, 11:10 PM
I believe that that is *very* old, though, so it could have changed. It probably hasn't changed much, but it's hard to tell.

FritzGryphon
08-23-2005, 11:13 PM
I checked, it's the same. You can tell in arcade mode.

1st round is tracer, 2nd is a single arrow, 3rd is a 'boom' with 4 additional arrows, and 4th is another single arrow.

tigertalon
08-24-2005, 12:01 AM
IRL most common reason for planes to go down was being on FIRE. In this game it is lack of WING. Go figure.

quiet_man
08-24-2005, 02:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by REDHAWK_1:
Chuck Yeager shot down 5 Bf 109 in one battle in a P-51D </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

three of them crashed without Yeager shooting them.

One wingmen crushed into his lead and the last one failed to pull out of an dive. I remember as I was a little disappointed when reading the story about this 5 "victories"

quiet_man

quiet_man
08-24-2005, 02:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tigertalon:
IRL most common reason for planes to go down was being on FIRE. In this game it is lack of WING. Go figure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have set 109 aflame with a few hits, but it is not common.

Maybe shooting with slight deflection was much more common in real life than in the game because of the different visualls? With fixed viewpoint and limited monitor area it is very difficult to get the right timing to hit from the side.

quiet_man

HotelBushranger
08-24-2005, 02:23 AM
The problem in Il2 is that tracers are the only type thats fired I think. .50 cal planes have very low ROF

FritzGryphon
08-24-2005, 02:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The problem in Il2 is that tracers are the only type thats fired I think. .50 cal planes have very low ROF </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Negative. All rounds present, with their respective types of bullets. In the case of the M2, in order of APIT, AP, HE and AP.

IL2-chuter
08-24-2005, 03:23 AM
I don't have any references for a WW2 "HE" (I assume that's "High Explosive") round. All I have is a)armor piercing - black, b)tracer - red, c)incindiary - blue, d)armor piercing incindiary - silver, and e) ball - no code.

Early loadouts were often a mix of ball, AP, incindiary and tracer. Later, it was just API with a mix of tracers near the end.

We actually have HE .50 rounds in the game??? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Did the Russians use that? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Gosh I'm confused.

Oh, well . . . http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Diablo310th
08-24-2005, 05:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FritzGryphon:
I checked, it's the same. You can tell in arcade mode.

1st round is tracer, 2nd is a single arrow, 3rd is a 'boom' with 4 additional arrows, and 4th is another single arrow. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That test right proves we should ahve teh more standard US loadout of 4 API and 1 APIT belt loadout. Just think of teh impact of 4 API rounds instead of that HE and AP round.

Diablo310th
08-24-2005, 05:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by IL2-chuter:
I don't have any references for a WW2 "HE" (I assume that's "High Explosive") round. All I have is a)armor piercing - black, b)tracer - red, c)incindiary - blue, d)armor piercing incindiary - silver, and e) ball - no code.

Early loadouts were often a mix of ball, AP, incindiary and tracer. Later, it was just API with a mix of tracers near the end.

We actually have HE .50 rounds in the game??? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Did the Russians use that? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Gosh I'm confused.

Oh, well . . . http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

chuter......evidently a HE round did exist. One forum member posted awhile back that he had seen HE rounds in Viet Nam for teh 50 cal. I'm not too sure how much it was used by US fighters tho. All references I have seen are API, AP, and APIT. It would be nice if Oleg would ahve modeled in teh 4 API rounds instead of teh AP and HE rounds.

AlmightyTallest
08-24-2005, 06:12 PM
What Diablo said, plus glad to see others coming to the same conclusion. I think the belting for the .50 caliber for American aircraft may be incorrect.

I brought up the subject with what info I could find in this thread:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/5671059482/p/1

FritzGryphon
08-24-2005, 06:15 PM
No, what you want is all HE. The MG151 has shown us that boom=good!

The M2 is already one of the best at starting fires, so I don't think more API would help much.

AlmightyTallest
08-24-2005, 10:32 PM
Could this be a Damage model related issue?

Because I rarely even start fires on Zeroes with 6 .50 cal.

But then I was also thinking that if we got more API or Incindiary rounds instead of the HE rounds that might be in the belting for the .50 cal. that they would tend to cause more fires on the targets in the sim.

I don't know, Oleg never responds to my E-mails about the issue.

FritzGryphon
08-24-2005, 10:39 PM
The Zero doesn't survive long enough to see fires happen (de-wing in 2 hits or something). Try P-39.

fordfan25
08-24-2005, 11:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by quiet_man:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by REDHAWK_1:
Chuck Yeager shot down 5 Bf 109 in one battle in a P-51D </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

three of them crashed without Yeager shooting them.

One wingmen crushed into his lead and the last one failed to pull out of an dive. I remember as I was a little disappointed when reading the story about this 5 "victories"

quiet_man </div></BLOCKQUOTE>he downed them with out even hitting them http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif he was good.

Kuna15
08-25-2005, 11:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by quiet_man:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tigertalon:
IRL most common reason for planes to go down was being on FIRE. In this game it is lack of WING. Go figure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have set 109 aflame with a few hits, but it is not common.

Maybe shooting with slight deflection was much more common in real life than in the game because of the different visualls? With fixed viewpoint and limited monitor area it is very difficult to get the right timing to hit from the side.

quiet_man </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes... yesterday I set Zero on fire from .60k range with 3 bullets while in F4F. Gun convergence was 200m. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

But Zero is one story Bf-109 and especially FW-190 another.

Locutis_NJG88
08-26-2005, 03:54 PM
I think another factor in the effectiveness is how the game is transmitting the rate of fire from the .50 cals. The ammunition appears to hit targets in packets and it‚‚ā¨ôs entirely easy to see this by diving at the ground and shooting while you pull up .You will most likely be surprised to see that the ground indicates a large distance between groups of bullets hitting the ground. In RW scenarios the rate of fire was such that you would have a hard time flying through a stream of lead without being significantly destroyed. It was stated in this thread that deflective shots might be a better tactic and I would agree based on known Air Combat footage but in this simulator deflective shots actually increase the packeted scenario I just described.

The bottom line is that the load outs for the .50 seems off RW load outs and the damage is not RW. Now contrast that with the fact that I have been hit with 151 or 30mm fire, only hearing a single round hit my A/C and my wing comes off, my gun site breaks and im out of the fight. I am not disputing that a 108 cannon round can do this and I can hear the difference between 108's 30's and 151.

No one can tell me that the weapon damage models are not very poorly replicated on all US planes. I can hit a 190 and sometimes 109's with 3-5 37 MM rounds , being careful to ONLY count the ones that explode (every third round)and watch the aircraft fly away. I can't even count how many times I have counted 5 explosions on a 190 , discounted what others saw as explosions and I did not ( which indicates over 5 exploding rounds) and witnessed the aircraft just fly home and land.
Granted it has received damage but these are cannon rounds like the 108 that should not even be used on air craft but whatever... (Both were ground weapons). One round should blow an aircraft apart if you can get it to connect. I think the 108's are on track. I get hit by one and its lights out 90% of the time.

The fact is if the 50 cals were modeled right id be fine with leaving the P-63 and I would stick to the p-39 d-2 or N1

ColoradoBBQ
08-27-2005, 01:24 AM
The P-39 37mm cannon round is so slow that it actually needs high closure rate on the target just to damage it severely. If the Fw-190 was speeding away from you, the cannon rounds can explode on the aircraft with very little damage.

tttiger6BL
08-27-2005, 09:05 AM
FritzGryphon:

Would you please send me a link to ANY page that describes a .50 HE round for US guns?

There is not now, nor has there EVER been an HE round for the Browning .50.

To argue that all the rounds in the sim should be HE is just parading your ignorance. No such bullet ever existed.

(Trust me, I have a lot of experience with the Ma Deuce http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )

Want to do some research? Start here:

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/8217/fgun/fgun-in.html

Then come back and discuss it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

S!

ttt

By the way, here is a post I did in February on the same topic (this old thread is mentioned on Page 1 of the current thread):

Okay, here is the entire list of U. S. Caliber .50 ammunition found in Frank Barnes' Cartridges of the World (one of my Bibles when I used to load my own ammo):

Tracer, M1; Test, High Pressure, M1; Incendiary, M1; Blank, M1; Armor Piercing, M2; Dummy, M2; Ball, M2; Armor Piercing Incendiary M8; Armor Piercing Incendiary M8 Steel Case; Tracer, M10; Tracer, M17; Armor Piercing Incendiary Tracer M20; Armor Piercing Incendary Tracer M20, Steel Case; Tracer, Headlight, M21; Incendiary, M23; Ball, M33; Spotter-Tracer M48; Spotter-Tracer M48A1; Spotter-Tracer M48A2; Inert Loaded XM176; Practice, T249E2; Armor Piercing Incendiary, T49; Test, High Pressure T251.

There NEVER was a U.S. HE .50 caliber bullet.

What shall we discuss next? The Easter Bunny? Santa Claus? The Tooth Fairy?

ttt

"I want the one that kills the best with the least amount of risk to me"

-- Chuck Yeager describing "The Best Airplane."

FritzGryphon
08-27-2005, 04:16 PM
I know nothing about RL ammo, and wouldn't be aware of a HE M2 round.

But, it is in PF. It's in the belt list, and you can see it blow up in arcade mode. All it parades is the fact I actually looked it up, and tried it out, while you are content to gripe.

Perhaps there's something that blows up, but is not technically called a "HE" round. HE is just a generic term. Many of those rounds you listed have non-descript names; any one of them might explode.

Or maybe 1C invented a bullet, who knows. In any case, keep your attitude to yourself.

FritzGryphon
08-27-2005, 04:31 PM
And it turns out, there is an explosive round after all.

------

Cartridge, Caliber .50, Armor Piercing Incendiary (API), MK 211 Mod 0

Explosive: 13 grains (0.84 gm) Comp A-4
Incendiary composition: 13.1 grains (0.85 gm) #136

This cartridge is identified by green bullet tip identification paint. The projectile consists of a brass jacket surrounding a steel body and tungsten core with incendiary and high explosive charges.

http://www.inetres.com/gp/military/infantry/mg/50_ammo.html

--------

Don't think it's the one used in the game, though. It's 5g too light.

The amount of explosive is close. ~1.3g (TNT equivalent), versus 1.48g ingame.

AlmightyTallest
08-27-2005, 06:49 PM
Hi Fritz, your correct about that round, but it was created in the mid 1990's and if you look at it's penetration and explosive values I don't think this is the round we got in PF lol. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

From everything I could find, it was far more likely to use M-20 APIT and M-8 Incindiary rounds in Allied aircraft .50 caliber weapons during WW2.

M-20 APIT link:
http://www.rvow.com/m20%20API-T.htm

M-8 API link:
http://www.rvow.com/m8_api.htm

Here's another link on this Modern .50cal 211 Mod 0 round:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/mk211.htm

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The XM107 .50-caliber sniper rifle is capable of firing the entire family of .50-caliber ammunition, other than the SLAP round. It is specifically tailored to the Mark 211 (Mk211) .50-caliber multipurpose anti-materiel round. The Raufoss Multipurpose (armor-piercing, explosive, incendiary) Ammunition is the crown jewel of .50 caliber sniper ammunition. This multi-purpose round was developed by the Norwegian company Nordic Ammunition Company (NAMMO) Raufoss AS. It is manufactured under license by several American companies, including Winchester. It is said to be the most popular round with US military snipers, it was used to good effect by US forces in the 1991 Gulf War.

The round combines armor-piercing, explosive, and incendiary effects and uses a highly effective pyrotechnically initiated fuze that delays detonation of the main projectile charge until after initial target penetration‚‚ā¨"Ěmoving projectile fragmentation and damage effect inside the target for maximum anti-personnel and fire start effect. While the round can be used in sniper rifles similar to the Barrett M82A1/XM107, it has the equivalent firing power of a 20 mm projectile to include such targets as helicopters, aircraft, light armour vehicles, ships and light fortifications, and can ignite JP4 and JP8 military jet fuel.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.airsoftohio.com/printthread.php?s=4c21c34008...e34957&threadid=6103 (http://www.airsoftohio.com/printthread.php?s=4c21c340082d6df2572ec02f24e34957 &amp;threadid=6103)

from above:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> "Mk 211 MOD 0 AP-HEI "Raufoss"

Caliber:
.50 BMG
Projectile Mass:
43.48 g (671 gr)
Muzzle Velocity:
887.0 m/sec (2910 fps), @ 23.8 m (78 ft) from muzzle
Muzzle Energy:
17,105.0 J (12,616 ft.lbs), @ 23.8 m (78 ft) from muzzle
Description:
Developed by the Nordic Ammunition Company in Sweden, this cartridge replaces all incendiary rounds currently in service. Also known as the Multi-Purpose NM140, the round is capable of penetrating 11mm of armor at 1000m and will give approximately 20 effective fragments after hitting 2mm of Dural. It contains both incendiary and high explosive compositions plus a tungsten core for superior penetration and lethality. The ammunition is drop-safe from 15m height and is identified by a green tip."

"M903 SLAP (Saboted Light Armor Penetrating)
Caliber:
.50 BMG
Projectile Mass:
23.33 g (360 gr)
Muzzle Velocity:
1219.2 m/sec (4000 fps), @ 23.8 m (78 ft) from muzzle
Muzzle Energy:
17,339.6 J (12,789 ft.lbs), @ 23.8 m (78 ft) from muzzle
Description:
Developed in the late 1980's and standardized March 31, 1993, the SLAP round is the most powerful anti-armor small arms cartridge available. Pushing a saboted .30 caliber 360 gr tungsten projectile to 4000 feet per second, M903 is capable of penetrating up to 34mm of hard armor at 500 meters range - almost twice that of standard M2 ball ammunition. "

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tttiger6BL
08-27-2005, 07:03 PM
API and HE are not the same thing. Yes, APIs burst after they penetrate the armor, but they are designed to set fire to fuel, not blow up the target with their explosive. They carried phosphorous rather than an explosive.

As noted in the post above, there are some modern rounds like the AP-HEI but that's still not the same as HE.

The terminology in the list I provided certainly is not vague. They are very specific. Here are some accepted definitions:

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/8217/fgun/fgun-am.html

The Mark 211 you describe is still classified as an API round. And, if you had copied all of the text from your link, you will note it was adopted in 1996.

I retired from the Army in 1995 and, by then, was too old and feeble to be playing with heavy machine guns. So, I never fired a Mark 20 or a SLAP, for that matter. But one of my many jobs over the years was "validating" (testing) ammo at Yuma Proving Ground. I really do know this stuff. And, yes, the nomenclature is specific and important.

There certainly are HE machine gun rounds. The Italians had them for their WWII .30 cal machine guns.

But never for the .50 Browning. The smallest U.S. HE round was for the 20mm.

If Oleg calls them HE, he's wrong. They never existed.

I'm not trying to put you down.

I'm just trying to set the record straight. It would be wrong for people to leave this thread believing there actually is a .50 HE round.

This is a sim and the models, including bullets, should be accurate.

Accuracy is a good thing, don't you agree? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

S!

ttt

FritzGryphon
08-27-2005, 07:30 PM
I agree totally. But a rose by any other name would smell just as sweet.

The 'HE' in PF might just be another API round. If it goes 'boom' you can't blame them for calling it HE in the code.

tttiger6BL
08-27-2005, 07:36 PM
Yes, I agree. He may simply have given it the wrong name and the performance of the round may be based on something that really exists.

If you've read posts from Oleg, you know English clearly is not his first language http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Peace!

ttt

IL2-chuter
08-28-2005, 03:25 AM
Loadouts in Europe became standardized as ALL API with tracers near the end to to warn the pilot he was near end of belt. To counter jets the T48 round was tested. It was a concentrated incendiary round intended to ignite jet fuel. Muzzle velocity was 3400fps. It was tested by the 56th FG.

"The P-39 37mm cannon round is so slow that it actually needs high closure rate on the target just to damage it severely. If the Fw-190 was speeding away from you, the cannon rounds can explode on the aircraft with very little damage."

The velocity of a round becomes next to meaningless with an explosive round as the self destruction of the round effectively ends its energy transfer. The rounds explosion is also way more damaging than the kinetic effect of a non-explosive round. What velocty does do for a cannon round is make it easier to hit the target. The MK108 is a rather high explosive round and it did much more damage than the less explosive MK103, but the higher velocity MK103 was more likely to hit. (In the game it's a little back asswards)

The bottom line: velocty shouldn't count for much when calculating the damage of cannon rounds. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

PS. Darn EMKAYs . . . http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

IL2-chuter
08-28-2005, 03:26 AM
Another PS. I'm an expert. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif (Not sure in what, though. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif)