PDA

View Full Version : Real Footage from the Pacific Theatre

lronSight
01-16-2005, 07:43 PM
This compilation of clips really gives you a tremendous appreciation for people who took part in WWII (This video focusing on the Pacific)

Loads of great 'Real Life' guncam footage hosted here: http://pauke.ee.ethz.ch:8732/oberstguncam/Frameset/index.htm

More specific to this board is these two Pacific Oriented documentaries:
http://pauke.ee.ethz.ch:8732/oberstguncam/Frameset/../Movies/ww2vlerk.WMV

Carrier Landings:
http://pauke.ee.ethz.ch:8732/oberstguncam/Frameset/../Movies/Pcific-WW2-footage.wmv

Bluedog72
01-16-2005, 08:55 PM
Thanks for posting that, cool footage.

lronSight
01-16-2005, 09:29 PM
Here's a more worldly take:

http://pauke.ee.ethz.ch:8732/oberstguncam/Frameset/../Movies/WWII.wmv

Cornay
01-16-2005, 09:35 PM
Very brave men.
The second clip really shows some very average weather including the squally rainshowers that are prevalent in the Pacific.

Great footage. Thank-you.

m.manson2004
01-16-2005, 10:19 PM
thanks
manson

EagleDeer
01-17-2005, 05:50 AM
Thanks for that. Now I don't feel so bad about some of my **** landings http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

SeaFireLIV
01-17-2005, 07:23 AM
Everyone should watch footage like this at least once so they`ll realise that it happened for real - it was not JUST a game. This way, when we fly we do it with respect to all pilots who did it for real in WWII.

I would say they should watch that carrier-landing film too. I reckon Oleg`s got the reality of landings and takeoff pretty well, considering how much difficulty some of these guys had. I also particularly enjoyed the little `discussion` those pilots were having about landing on the deck:

"Do I land like this?"

"No, land like this!"

"Wha?"

Sharpe26
01-17-2005, 10:54 AM
the footage of those Corsairs is spooky, and it definetly shows why they were called "ensign eliminators"

Nero111
01-17-2005, 11:20 AM
Ooo, my rips are doing the rounds I see.Good.
I ripped those from the History channel.
What you dont see there is the actual pilots accounts of their eperiences during the war.
The program on the Corsair was particularily informative. I sit and watch it and get frikkin goosebumps when these old flyers sit there and chat ( all very flippently) about the stuff that went down. They were most definately a different breed, and deserve the utmost respect. That goes for all sides and divisions of the armed services during that period.
Salute

J_Weaver
01-17-2005, 11:37 AM
Wow those are some great vids! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif Thanks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Fliegeroffizier
01-17-2005, 11:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lronSight:
This compilation of clips really gives you a tremendous appreciation for people who took part in WWII (This video focusing on the Pacific)
... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ironsight: I support your intention of giving folks an better appreciation of the difficulty of the air war in the Pacific(and how accurately PF simulates a lot of that)...however, I Really would Appreciate that you refrain from posting Direct links to Movies contained in folders on my Site...certainly without my permission.

In this case, at the aprropriate Page of the site where I "showcase" these two movies, I have given Credit to Nero111 for his being the "compiler" of the videos.

You could have simply directed people to the homepage of my Site, where they would immediately see the flashing-arrow Shortcuts pointing to the pages with the Pacific and Carrier movies. Additionally, such an appropriate link leading to the Homepage would expose visitors to the MANY other multimedia elements available on my Site.

I could go to the trouble of "locking" portions/folders of my Site, but have not found it necessary..yet.

I would, politely, request that you Edit your Original Post in this thread to direct folks to my Splash/Entry page(see my SigBlock below for the correct URL), rather than directly to my Site's internal folder/movie files.

Thank you.

SeaFireLIV
01-17-2005, 11:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fliegeroffizier:

In this case, at the aprropriate Page of the site where I "showcase" these two movies, I have given Credit to Nero111 for his being the "compiler" of the videos.

Thank you. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I`ve made your site a FAVOURITE. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

VBF-83_Hawk
01-17-2005, 12:26 PM
Why do guys want a !@#$% pat on the back about "link this" and "credit that"? Screw you guys and get a !@#$%^& grip. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

You are no fifferent than the copyright issue garbage Oleg is dealing with about using aircraft names like Grumman, Curtiss or whatever.

I purchase 8 x 10 photos for as much as $75 and post them on my personal web page. I could care less if someone copies them. I post them for poeple to enjoy...I could care less if they use them on thier web site without giving me credit or a link to my web site.

Nero111
01-17-2005, 12:26 PM
Fliegeroffizier
Hi there. No credit necessary for me m8, my name is in the end of the fliks somewhere, but thx anyway. More credit to the folks that had to do that stuff.
Anyhow, I have a lot more footage from various programs that I can put into short compilations (time permitting) if you have the capacity to host them. I just dont have the ability to host things that eat bandwidth, so if you would like more, it can be done, then I could send it to you or provide a url that you can dl and then host. up to you.
cye

Nero111
01-17-2005, 12:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VBF-83_Hawk:
Why do guys want a !@#$% pat on the back about link this credit that? Screw you guys and get a !@#$%^& grip. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Its his website, with his bandwidth, I think asking folks to come in the front door is a reasonable request.
Next time you imply something to somone, be more specific, 'you guys' just doesnt cut it.

VBF-83_Hawk
01-17-2005, 12:36 PM
If "you guys" makes you feel guilty, than so be it!

I get so sick of seeing..."Thats MINE". http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Nero111
01-17-2005, 12:52 PM
Chicken!!

VBF-83_Hawk
01-17-2005, 01:01 PM
Is it not obvious who is crying here about not getting credit for something? If you are so blind then go read the reply by Fliegeroffizier.

As far as being chicken...lol, come visit me in person...then we will see who is chicken http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Nero111
01-17-2005, 01:05 PM
Haha
Lighten up, go get laid man

hook,

S.taibanzai
01-17-2005, 01:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sharpe26:
the footage of those Corsairs is spooky, and it definetly shows why they were called "ensign eliminators" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm

Only US footage

Why can we get some japs footage when they shoot planes up

would you then say zero eliminators huh?

Asgeir_Strips
01-17-2005, 01:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VBF-83_Hawk:
If "you guys" makes you feel guilty, than so be it!

I get so sick of seeing..."Thats MINE". http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I Agree with you, if those brave men didn't do military service during the war, or if not one brave photgrapher wanted to take a shot, while he really should search for cover, we wouldn't be able to se those amazing videos and pictures to day! And im sure they did it for the photpgraph's sake, whats the point of filming, if you aren't going to show it to others?? I Think we should admire those photographers, soldiers, airmen,seamen and so on, instead of arguing about a person who "forgot" to post the link to the main page, its a shame!

lronSight
01-17-2005, 02:47 PM
Sorry about that. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I was simply trying to make it easier for the board members, not trying to discredit your webpage.

joeap
01-17-2005, 03:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by S.taibanzai:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sharpe26:
the footage of those Corsairs is spooky, and it definetly shows why they were called "ensign eliminators" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm

Only US footage

would you then say zero eliminators huh? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Huh??? I don't understand your point, Corsairs were called "Ensign Eliminators" because they were dangerous for inexperienced pilots. I actually would love to see some Japanese footage but think guncams were not used in the IJN or IJA.

VBF-83_Hawk
01-17-2005, 06:55 PM
lol, your right neo...waaayyyyy past time to get laid http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

VF-3Thunderboy
01-17-2005, 06:59 PM
Truly Buck Rogers stuff. The most amazing job you could ever have!

Anyone ever get any of these DVD's?
they have one with "Corsair" footage, although I heard corsairs didnt have guncameras...?

http://www.rareaviation.com/airwarpathof.html

Fliegeroffizier
01-17-2005, 07:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>... I actually would love to see some Japanese footage but think guncams were not used in the IJN or IJA. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That is correct.

As for the other posts concerning whether or not it is proper to directly link to folders/files on any individual's Site, I am not about to get into an argument. Some people understand what is right, some don't....and some make an honest mistake, which is what happened here.

I didn't claim any special rights, as was stated by someone(who was wrong). Anyone visiting my site will clearly see that I have taken no steps to prevent free downloading of everything hosted there...in fact, on most of the added movies/pages over the last year or so I provide special instructions and Separate Distinct Links to facilitate people Downloading files/movies of all types for their personal collections.

As I said in my earlier Post, by entering thru the "front Door" of the Site, people become aware that there is a Lot more available to download(for free) than merely linking to and viewing just one or two specific movies.

It seems the nature of some forums that certain people simply go out Looking to stir up trouble...Quite amazing and quite sad.

Fliegeroffizier
01-17-2005, 07:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lronSight:
Sorry about that. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I was simply trying to make it easier for the board members, not trying to discredit your webpage. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No problem, mate....No discredit, whatsoever...
Thanks for modifying your original post.

Fliegeroffizier
01-17-2005, 08:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nero111:
Fliegeroffizier
Hi there....
Anyhow, I have a lot more footage from various programs that I can put into short compilations (time permitting) if you have the capacity to host them. I just dont have the ability to host things that eat bandwidth, so if you would like more, it can be done, then I could send it to you or provide a url that you can dl and then host. up to you.
cye <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Love to have some more...I currently don't have the ability to capture TV and convert to AVI(or WMV) format. If you put together some "documentary compilations", I'd recommend keeping them at under10 minutes duration and/or under 100Mb or so; the two you have done so far are Well under those suggested limits. I'd appreciate if you could send me any new ones in Both AVI(your raw footage) and WMV format(your final version with music) if that is possible.(Also, I'd love to have the Carrier Operations movie in AVI format if you happen to have that available.(The two which you have released, as you know, are both in WMV format).

The Best way to send me such large files would be to use YouSendIt (http://s7.yousendit.com/), inputting my email address: fliegeroffizier@cox.net

S.taibanzai
01-17-2005, 10:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by joeap:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by S.taibanzai:

Hmm

Only US footage

would you then say zero eliminators huh? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Huh??? I don't understand your point, Corsairs were called "Ensign Eliminators" because they were dangerous for inexperienced pilots. I actually would love to see some Japanese footage but think guncams were not used in the IJN or IJA. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

rgr my fault

Bartsimpson-
01-18-2005, 02:16 AM
Thanks ironsight , enjoyed those best iv'e seen in awhile just wondering if theres anyway of saving them save them to file once you have loaded them on window's media player ??

Thanks in advance .

Bartman .

Bluedog72
01-18-2005, 02:28 AM
Right click the links and 'Save Target As' worked for me.

Bartsimpson-
01-18-2005, 03:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bluedog72:
Right click the links and 'Save Target As' worked for me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks bluey , your a true heeler

Bartman .

m.manson2004
01-18-2005, 04:42 AM
i looked very carefully time and again at the shock absorbers of the Corsair at work when hitting the deck and i found them quiet soft and responsive, as a matter of fact the Brittish never had problems with them in 1943 and used them well on their carriers in the pacific,i wonder wether the film is of the USN corsairs after spring 1944.
manson

Nero111
01-18-2005, 05:59 AM
Manson
In the doccy that some of the clips were ripped from, the US had actualy stopped using the Corsairs from the carriers, they just couldnt get it right. The Brits were the ones who fine tuned the landing technique. If you look carefully at the footage on the carrier clip ( around 2 minutes 15 sec) you will see that those are infact British Corsairs, not US planes.
Only after the Brits fine tuned the carrier ops with this aircraft did it find its way back on the decks of US Carriers.
As for the time frame of the indivdual clips, im not sure.
Also as the footage is in slow-mo, it might also appear to be softer maybe.

btw: A bit of useless info that I never knew before watching the doccy, the Corsairs wing shape was primarily to accomodate the massive propellor, normal wings and the prop was to long, so with the slight bend it gave extra ground clearance

Flying_Nutcase
01-18-2005, 06:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
Everyone should watch footage like this at least once so they`ll realise that it happened for real - it was not JUST a game. This way, when we fly we do it with _respect_ to all pilots who did it for real in WWII.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nicely said.

Sharpe26
01-18-2005, 08:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nero111:
Manson
In the doccy that some of the clips were ripped from, the US had actualy stopped using the Corsairs from the carriers, they just couldnt get it right. The Brits were the ones who fine tuned the landing technique. If you look carefully at the footage on the carrier clip ( around 2 minutes 15 sec) you will see that those are infact British Corsairs, not US planes.
Only after the Brits fine tuned the carrier ops with this aircraft did it find its way back on the decks of US Carriers.
As for the time frame of the indivdual clips, im not sure.
Also as the footage is in slow-mo, it might also appear to be softer maybe.

btw: A bit of useless info that I never knew before watching the doccy, the Corsairs wing shape was primarily to accomodate the massive propellor, normal wings and the prop was to long, so with the slight bend it gave extra ground clearance <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

about that footage, some of it looks like some of the early US Corsairs landings ( you'll notice the "bounce" in some cases.) Whereas the British footage shows the Corsair touching down and staying on the deck.

Nero111
01-18-2005, 08:25 AM
Yes Sharpe26
From what I can remember of the program, the US commisioned the plane for active service, had major hassles on the flight deck with it. During this time planes were being sent to the UK.
The yanks had other things on their minds at the time and scrapped the idea of the carrier part for the Corsair. The Brits continued with carrier ops (they might of aquired more planes in this time or newer ones). In the end the Brits perfected the technique (coming in sideways not straight on) with the Corsair and then the Yanks followed suite and redeployed the Corsairs to their own fleet with this knowledge.
The one big problem with the Corsair coming straight in, was that the pilots couldnt see nuthin over the nose.
As for the rip, its in no real chronogical order, and i dont know enough about the planes to comment what models they are, but your theory is quite possible, might be early footage of the US planes during the early trials.

Skarphol
01-18-2005, 12:38 PM
btw: A bit of useless info that I never knew before watching the doccy, the Corsairs wing shape was primarily to accomodate the massive propellor, normal wings and the prop was to long, so with the slight bend it gave extra ground clearance <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some more useless info regarding this:
The propeller of the Corsair has (if I remember correctly) a diameter of 4.01m (13.15 Ft). Making an undercarriage long enough to provide groundclearence, and strong enough to withstand the impact of such rough landings seemed inpossible without makeing the undercarriage very heavy. This was solved by the crank in the wings. This also helped reduce drag in the connection between the wings and the fuselage, as the angle between the wing and fuselage became more faverable.

Skarphol

Fliegeroffizier
01-18-2005, 01:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bartsimpson-:
Thanks ironsight , enjoyed those best iv'e seen in awhile just wondering if theres anyway of saving them save them to file once you have loaded them on window's media player ??

Thanks in advance .

Bartman . <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For ANY movie which you view in Windows Media Player(call it streaming), i.e., any link on the internet which you click and your WindowsMediaPlayer opens and a movie(WMV or AVI or MPG format, etc)begins playing, when the movie has completed playing, simply go to the MediaPlayer "Edit" Dropdown menu, select the "Save Media As" option, and it will ask where you want to put it on your hard drive. The actual download/file has already been completed...the File is stored someplace in a Windows temp folder until you tell it where you want it permanently; if you don't do the "Edit/SaveMediaAs" step, it sorta 'goes away' when you close your Windows Media Player.

As noted in teh otehr post, if you JUST want to Download the movie/file directly, without "Seeing" the movie as you do so, simply Right-Click on the URL link for teh movie and select the "Save target As" option, and tell it where you want it to go.

|CoB|_Spectre
01-19-2005, 04:49 PM
It had been awhile since I'd visited Wiley's Guncam World and I've got to check it more often. I enjoyed the intro and the documentary footage is mesmerizing. Great IL-2 movies as well. Much thanks to those of you who had a hand in making it happen and, most of all, to Wiley for hosting it.

fabianfred
01-20-2005, 05:44 AM
[/QUOTE]

For ANY movie which you view in Windows Media Player(call it streaming), i.e., any link on the internet which you click and your WindowsMediaPlayer opens and a movie(WMV or AVI or MPG format, etc)begins playing, when the movie has completed playing, simply go to the MediaPlayer "Edit" Dropdown menu, select the "Save Media As" option, and it will ask where you want to put it on your hard drive. The actual download/file has already been completed...the File is stored someplace in a Windows temp folder until you tell it where you want it permanently; if you don't do the "Edit/SaveMediaAs" step, it sorta 'goes away' when you close your Windows Media Player.

As noted in the other post, if you JUST want to Download the movie/file directly, without "Seeing" the movie as you do so, simply Right-Click on the URL link for teh movie and select the "Save target As" option, and tell it where you want it to go.[/QUOTE]

every pic/movie that you view on-line goes into a temp file which is normally 'hidden'.... to see it all .....select drive C in my computer... right click... properties.... disc cleanup.... select temporary Internet files... then click View files.... look at all the stuff...save it elsewhere to keep... going ahead with cleaning will wash it all.... make a desktop shortcut to the content IE5 folder to get to it easier later on

I realy enjoyed both those clips.... its nice to see the planes explode/break up/fall/splash looking just as it does in PF... they did a good job with this sim...my landing crashes are just like that... often, but I can press refly... those guys couldn't....
sobering.... and good music too
I have the one on midway put out by france-simulation.... that's good too!

Aztek_Eagle
01-20-2005, 06:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
Everyone should watch footage like this at least once so they`ll realise that it happened for real - it was not JUST a game. This way, when we fly we do it with _respect_ to all pilots who did it for real in WWII.

I would say they should watch that carrier-landing film too. I reckon Oleg`s got the reality of landings and takeoff pretty well, considering how much difficulty some of these guys had. I also particularly enjoyed the little `discussion` those pilots were having about landing on the deck:

"Do I land like this?"

"No, land like _this_!"

"Wha?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

dude shut the hell up, u got to find something to whine about on every topic