PDA

View Full Version : ?The most Modest Aircraft?



The_Stealth_Owl
09-27-2009, 01:18 PM
???


Like an ugly plane that performes like a beast.

The_Stealth_Owl
09-27-2009, 01:18 PM
???


Like an ugly plane that performes like a beast.

joeap
09-27-2009, 01:20 PM
Ugly planes are modest?

Well, ok then...how about the Stuka or the P-47 to start?

BillSwagger
09-27-2009, 02:18 PM
Macchis are fairly modest, and usually later models can be quite dangerous with some good piloting.

The P-47 is a beautiful plane in my eyes, and is in no way modest. It looks like it can kick your a** and it probably will. I suppose its a pretty subjective question, but that's just my opinion.



Bill

AndyJWest
09-27-2009, 02:20 PM
I'm tempted to suggest B-17 for the medium bomber category, but that would be such an obvious troll that I won't.

The manufacture of really ugly planes seems to have reached its peak by the early 1930s, as increasing attention to streamlining reduced the tendency to fit external wardrobes and roof-gardens to front-line aircraft. That asymetric <STRIKE>Arado</STRIKE> recon plane (number escapes me - can't be bothered to Google) is possibly a good starting point for ugly, but I don't think it was great shakes in performance, so that rules it out.

Some planes are neither beautiful nor ugly, but just pure character like my old friend the Walrus, and anyone seeing her swooping down to pull them from the drink probably thought she was better looking than the Andrews Sisters or whoever the pinups of the time were.

Edit ------

I've cast an inexcusable slur on Arado here, the asymetric ugly I was thinking of was the Blohm & Voss BV 141.

TinyTim
09-27-2009, 02:24 PM
MiG-9. Ugly as a sin, but deadly.

Treetop64
09-27-2009, 03:05 PM
The Lerche, for pete's sake...

Waldo.Pepper
09-27-2009, 03:26 PM
Gotta be the Rata/Moskva.

DuxCorvan
09-27-2009, 04:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AndyJWest:
I'm tempted to suggest B-17 for the medium bomber category, but that would be such an obvious troll that I won't.

The manufacture of really ugly planes seems to have reached its peak by the early 1930s, as increasing attention to streamlining reduced the tendency to fit external wardrobes and roof-gardens to front-line aircraft. That asymetric <STRIKE>Arado</STRIKE> recon plane (number escapes me - can't be bothered to Google) is possibly a good starting point for ugly, but I don't think it was great shakes in performance, so that rules it out.

Some planes are neither beautiful nor ugly, but just pure character like my old friend the Walrus, and anyone seeing her swooping down to pull them from the drink probably thought she was better looking than the Andrews Sisters or whoever the pinups of the time were.

Edit ------

I've cast an inexcusable slur on Arado here, the asymetric ugly I was thinking of was the Blohm & Voss BV 141. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Curiously enough, its performance was really good, comparable or even superior to its competitor Fw 189, but its ungainly looks made it look suspicious.

ElAurens
09-27-2009, 04:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AndyJWest:
I'm tempted to suggest B-17 for the medium bomber category, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Huh?

The B17 was a heavy bomber, and it is by far the best looking bomber ever devised by man.

WTE_Galway
09-27-2009, 05:06 PM
stringbag ... to be sure


not flyable in game yet though

AndyJWest
09-27-2009, 06:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ElAurens:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AndyJWest:
I'm tempted to suggest B-17 for the medium bomber category, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Huh?

The B17 was a heavy bomber, and it is by far the best looking bomber ever devised by man. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Erm what I actually wrote was <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
I'm tempted to suggest B-17 for the medium bomber category, but that would be such an obvious troll that I won't.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It wasn't meant to be taken too seriously - beauty is in the eye of the beholder after all, and I wouldn't suggest a B-17 was anything but heavy. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Or is this some kind on new reverse-troll tactic? Are you trying to draw me into something? Do you have graphs that prove Boeing aircraft were 57.5% more beautiful than anything else produced during WW2? I can provide transcripts of German pilots who refused to shoot down B-24s because they were so beautiful, and camera-gun footage of German night-fighters fleeing from Lancasters after being confronted with their subtle charms. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

WTE_Galway
09-27-2009, 06:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AndyJWest:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ElAurens:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AndyJWest:
I'm tempted to suggest B-17 for the medium bomber category, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Huh?

The B17 was a heavy bomber, and it is by far the best looking bomber ever devised by man. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Erm what I actually wrote was <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
m tempted to suggest B-17 for the medium bomber category, but that would be such an obvious troll that I won't.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It wasn't meant to be taken too seriously - beauty is in the eye of the beholder after all, and I wouldn't suggest a B-17 was anything but heavy. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Or is this some kind on new reverse-troll tactic? Are you trying to draw me into something? Do you have graphs that prove Boeing aircraft were 57.5% more beautiful than anything else produced during WW2? I can provide transcripts of German pilots who refused to shoot down B-24s because they were so beautiful, and camera-gun footage of German night-fighters fleeing from Lancasters after being confronted with their subtle charms. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>


at least its not effete and girly like the Spitfire http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

AndyJWest
09-27-2009, 06:28 PM
WTE_Galaway, that is such a weak attempt at trolling, I won't bother to respond http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

WTE_Galway
09-27-2009, 06:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AndyJWest:
WTE_Galaway, that is such a weak attempt at trolling, I won't bother to respond http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>


http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

TSmoke
09-27-2009, 08:43 PM
WTE_Galway wins because you did respond by saying you won't bother to respond. LOL

Treetop64
09-27-2009, 10:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
stringbag ... to be sure


not flyable in game yet though </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FTW ^^^

Worf101
09-28-2009, 07:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BillSwagger:
Macchis are fairly modest, and usually later models can be quite dangerous with some good piloting.

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Plus 100 on that. Late model Italian steeds are frightenling dangerous. I'd rater go up against 109's any day of the week. I just can't seem to down Macchis no matter how hard I try. Wow.

Da Worfster

Esel1964
09-28-2009, 11:47 PM
Fiesler Storch,or the Stearman,now those are modest.

Xiolablu3
09-29-2009, 05:43 AM
An Ugly plane that performs like a beast?

Gotta be the Corsair.

JuHa-
09-29-2009, 12:28 PM
Hs-129B3 (75mm antitank cannon version)

RegRag1977
09-29-2009, 12:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
An Ugly plane that performs like a beast?

Gotta be the Corsair. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree, but i would add ugly in a frightening way http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif