PDA

View Full Version : SH3 on my New Laptop

Kaleun1961
04-06-2006, 02:13 PM
I installed SH3 last night on my new laptop and for the most part it seems to be alright, [I briefly played part of a single mission] although it suffers a drop in frame rate as water washes off the periscope lens, dropping to about 16 FPS until the water clears.

My laptop is based on the AMD 64 bit mobile CPU, the Turion ML-37, which runs at 2 GHz. AMD's latest naming convention makes it more difficult to directly compare CPU performance to an Intel CPU. My desktop Athlon 64 3200+ is comparable to an Intel Pentium 4 3.2 GHz, for instance. I don't know which Intel chip the ML-37 compares to. Anyhow, my laptop also has 2 GB of RAM and 128 MB dedicated video based on ATI Radeon Express 200M. It also features two 80 GB SATA 5400 RPM drives. When I can, I think I will swap the C drive for a 7200 RPM drive.

Now I have SH3 installed cleanly, patched to 1.4b and the forbidden-to-mention anti-SF deal. I've downloaded IuB 1.03, the NYGM mods and the latest SH3 Cmdr and JSGME. My plan is to first install JSGME, then IuB, NYGM and last of all, SH3 Cmdr. I'm just curious to know if anybody has tried this particular combination of mods and what your experience has been.

Kaleun1961
04-06-2006, 02:13 PM
I installed SH3 last night on my new laptop and for the most part it seems to be alright, [I briefly played part of a single mission] although it suffers a drop in frame rate as water washes off the periscope lens, dropping to about 16 FPS until the water clears.

My laptop is based on the AMD 64 bit mobile CPU, the Turion ML-37, which runs at 2 GHz. AMD's latest naming convention makes it more difficult to directly compare CPU performance to an Intel CPU. My desktop Athlon 64 3200+ is comparable to an Intel Pentium 4 3.2 GHz, for instance. I don't know which Intel chip the ML-37 compares to. Anyhow, my laptop also has 2 GB of RAM and 128 MB dedicated video based on ATI Radeon Express 200M. It also features two 80 GB SATA 5400 RPM drives. When I can, I think I will swap the C drive for a 7200 RPM drive.

Now I have SH3 installed cleanly, patched to 1.4b and the forbidden-to-mention anti-SF deal. I've downloaded IuB 1.03, the NYGM mods and the latest SH3 Cmdr and JSGME. My plan is to first install JSGME, then IuB, NYGM and last of all, SH3 Cmdr. I'm just curious to know if anybody has tried this particular combination of mods and what your experience has been.

hueywolf123
04-06-2006, 03:37 PM
K1961,
G'day bud, I have SH-III on my lap-top, AMD athlon + radeon 9000 graphics. All works well but the busier the screen, the lower the frame rate (no rocket science there).
Watch out for warm weather, during our summer hol's, mine crashed a couple of times. This apparently is due to heat. I bought a lap-top cooling pad, and it hasn't happened since
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Kaleun1961
04-06-2006, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the advice, Wolf. I also use laptop coolers, one for me and one for my daughter's laptop. Both of ours have fans in the bottom of the chassis to draw air up into the case, so it's alright on a flat surface. When I have to put it on a soft surface like my bed or carpeted floor, the cooler mat is great. I have the ones that have twin fans in them.

hueywolf123
04-06-2006, 04:40 PM
I haven't tried that mod combo, all I have is SH-III update patch + commander. No more bugs though, just really wild weather at times. Not a game for those prone to sea-sickness.
Good luck with the mods, hope they don't slow up your frame rate or chew up too much memory. If it works, let me know

Kaleun1961
04-06-2006, 06:11 PM
Nearly there. I've installed IuB, some of the optional mods with IuB, the Das Boot crew mod and a custom mod I have clipped from another mod suite, the 3000 metre bearing tool, which in my opionion is superior to the one more popularly in use. I'll have to post a screenshot sometime to show what I mean.

Next I am going to install the NYGM Tonnage mod and finally SH3 Commander. I'm hoping to get it done tonight.

Virtual_Adept
04-06-2006, 06:51 PM
I would like to see that screenshot. Be aware though, that the NYGM Tonnage Mod (the 'full' release) is likely to overwrite that with the 1500 meter bearing ring. Thought I'd try to warn you ahead of time.

Kaleun1961
04-06-2006, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I realized I was going to have to uninstall one or two of those mods first. I have to wait another half hour before I can download the other one. There is a limit to how much you can download within a certain time on those free download links.