PDA

View Full Version : I can't even complete the Navigation exam! Help!

AStotzer
03-30-2005, 06:47 AM
I've tried the Navigation Exam about 3 times now, always failed it.

The two I can't seem to complete is 2 & 4.

2) Navigate the Channel.
I'm not sure which direction I'm supposed to navigate. The 1st Exam task has you Navigate SSE through the small channel, and I complete that. I get a second radio message to continue SSE at periscope depth 'P', and '5' speed. I do that until I get near land, but now, where am I supposed to navigate?? If I go northeast, I hit a dead end. Am I supposed to go West towards the Atlantic??

4) Navigate South at 25 meters.
I get out where it's deep enough, then set a course south, and dive to 25 meters. I stay there for about 30 miles. I don't complete this Exam task. So I surface, recharge batteries, and try again. Nothing!!

jet6r6
03-30-2005, 07:10 AM
Check your radio messages often as there will be further instructions "M" key.

If you reach land you've gone to far, this exercise is reletively quick.

Step by step:-

Task 1
Plot a course throught in SSE direction throught the channel at ahead standard. You will complete task one before you clear the channel.

http://img218.exs.cx/img218/2586/n14ck.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

Task 2 & 3
Stay on tha same course, SSE and hit "P" to dive to periscope depth and set engines to ahead flank. You will receive another message to tell you to maintain course and depth, use time compression to speed up the process. This should complete both tasks 2 and 3.

Task 4
Now change your heading to due south and dive to a new depth of 25 meters. Use time compression and stay on this heading. You will receive a new message telling you that once you've surfaced, the training is complete. Surface the sub and exit.

Hope that helps :-)

AStotzer
03-30-2005, 07:17 AM
Thanks. I got the first two messages and followed them, but it didn't work. Maybe I deviated from course a little or something... I never got the 'training complete' message.

Good to know I don't have to navigate for hours like I have been. I'll try again tonight.

RedTerex
03-30-2005, 07:19 AM
As a veteran of SHI<<many many hours of gameplay>> and SHII<<many many hours of game play<< and SHIII<< already many hours of gameplay>>
Hell!........I'm a Virtual Vet !

I still failed that nav course to a grade of average !!!!!!!!

Passed excellent in all else though. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

dont worry about it, just as long as torpedo and deck gun exams were passed EXCELLENT, you are welcome on my sub any time !

Dominicrigg
03-30-2005, 07:28 AM
No hope for you red terex!

You are hereby demoted to type II's only.

Fail again and it will be a darth vader style punishment!

RedTerex
03-30-2005, 07:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dominicrigg:
No hope for you red terex!

You are hereby demoted to type II's only.

Fail again and it will be a darth vader style punishment! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

eeek !
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v463/RedTerex/gocrazy.gif
then.....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v463/RedTerex/bottom.gif

NaturalBornGoth
03-30-2005, 07:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AStotzer:
Thanks. I got the first two messages and followed them, but it didn't work. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you sure you followed them by the letter? The ordered course is just the half of it. It's also imperative that you use the ordered speed setting, otherwise the task doesn't count as completed.

That's what i did wrong the first time. After really carefully following the orders i passed the test with an "excellent"-rating. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

jet6r6
03-30-2005, 08:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AStotzer:
Thanks. I got the first two messages and followed them, but it didn't work. Maybe I deviated from course a little or something... I never got the 'training complete' message.

Good to know I don't have to navigate for hours like I have been. I'll try again tonight. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Strange, it works for me, and you receive an "excellent" too.

AStotzer
03-30-2005, 08:03 AM
The first time I tried it, I didn't even know about the messages. But last night I read the messages and may have gone off course (south) for about 10-20 miles before I started following the message orders.

I'll try again tonight and follow them to the letter, and nothing else at all.

jet6r6
03-31-2005, 09:18 AM
AStotzer, how did you get on???

Shark....
03-31-2005, 09:22 AM
Yes I tried the lessons which are all bugged up!

So I just started a career and learned as I went which was much easier then the tutorial.

This game needs a 2nd patch badly.

NaturalBornGoth
03-31-2005, 09:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shark....:
Yes I tried the lessons which are all bugged up! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, now it's the game's fault that you don't get it right? Sorry, but i didn't have a single problem once i followed the orders. I just can repeat myself: it's imperative that you do exactly as ordered. Even the game says so in the navigation mission briefing. You receive radio messages that tell you exactly what you have to do next, and you have to do exactly as they say. If you divert only a little bit from your orders, for example moving flank speed ahead instead of full speed ahead, you fail. It's military training after all, and not some petty pleasure cruise.

AStotzer
03-31-2005, 09:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jet6r6:
AStotzer, how did you get on??? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I haven't tried it yet. I had surgery on a deviated septium (cartlege between your nostrils) last week, and have had to sleep in a recliner chair until 2 nights ago. Could only get about 2 hours sleep at a time, but last night was my first night to sleep in bed since a week, and it was fantastic! Hope to try it soon!!

AStotzer
04-03-2005, 02:12 PM
Ahh, at last, sweet success!! That navigation one can be kinda picky. But after following the messages to the 'T', I succeeded. Didn't learn anything at all... Was a waste of time, if not for the Frosty mug of my favorite Canadian malted beverage which accompanied me... But I did it!

The other Exam were even fun. I didn't expect that. I had been avoiding the Training figuring actual gameplay would be more fun.

?? - In the Torpedo Training it explains how to do Manual Targeting. But when I pointed the Periscope at the target it always did Assisted Targeting automatically. So, how do you get it to let you do Manual Targeting?? Are you 'not' supposed to point the periscope at the target to do it manually or something.

Also, in the Flak Gun training, it said to use the Left-Mouse Button to Fire the gun. But that does not work. I finally got the spacebar to fire. Does the Left-Mouse button work for anybody?

Guidon666
04-03-2005, 03:54 PM
Did you do anythiong special to fix the "problem" you were having?

I am running into the same thing. I get a non-completed for the 2nd part, but still end with a satisfactory evaluation.