PDA

View Full Version : OT: help with overheating

MadRuski
03-27-2007, 07:01 AM
Well i upgraded from a Nvidia Ge Force 5300 128MB to a NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS 512MB (LINK (http://www.sparkle.com.tw/product_detail.asp?id=55&sub_id=93))

and now i seem to be getting overheating problems.
i can play BF2 on highest graphics with no lag what so ever, but 15 mins in the computer just freezes, always happens.

So i was wondering if it is a hassle to install another fan, and is it easy as it looks.

also, i dont know much about computers not the technical "in box" hardware so i am sorta at a loss of what to do with it.

here are my specs:

AMD Athlon 64 processors
3000+
2.00GHz
1 GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS 512MB

MadRuski
03-27-2007, 07:01 AM
Well i upgraded from a Nvidia Ge Force 5300 128MB to a NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS 512MB (LINK (http://www.sparkle.com.tw/product_detail.asp?id=55&sub_id=93))

and now i seem to be getting overheating problems.
i can play BF2 on highest graphics with no lag what so ever, but 15 mins in the computer just freezes, always happens.

So i was wondering if it is a hassle to install another fan, and is it easy as it looks.

also, i dont know much about computers not the technical "in box" hardware so i am sorta at a loss of what to do with it.

here are my specs:

AMD Athlon 64 processors
3000+
2.00GHz
1 GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS 512MB

horseback
03-27-2007, 08:36 AM
One, I'd make sure that there is a flow-through type fan setup on my case. A decent dust filter (cleaned regularly) on the intake fan is also a good idea...since I've built all my computers over the last 6 years, I've learned what to look for in a case, and the better airflow/distribution you can manage, the better. I love 120mm fans front and back.

Two, I'd take a close look at Zalman cooler fans for both my processor and video card. I have a Zalman cooler/fan on my Athlon 3500+ and it dropped my average temps from the mid/high 50s to the low 40s Centigrade last summer here in my un-air conditioned San Diego apartment.

That encouraged me to get a Zalman fan for my new 7900GT video card (on my other system) when it seemed to get a bit too warm when playing video intensive games, and it, too, was very effective.

You'll need an ESD wrist strap (I work in electronics production and test, where we use them religiously), a fine tipped Phillips screwdriver and the ability to read and follow directions...and about $50 USD for each Zalman fan, depending on where you buy it.

cheers

horseback

PS-make sure you have enough space for the fans you buy: those Zalman fans have BIG fans and fins for heat dissipation. If you buy online, get a clear idea about the actual dimensions they involve vs how much you have inside your case.

TgD Thunderbolt56
03-27-2007, 09:12 AM
Installing a case fan is as easy as 1..2..3. Most cases are made to accommodate multiple case fans (even if they come with some already installed). I would suggest you get them in pairs though and install an exhaust fan for every inlet fan you install as well.

Basically, you install them in the brackets provided or hard-mount them in the corresponding holes in the case (typically 4 holes for each fan) and connect the appropriate connector...done.

GreyBeast
03-27-2007, 10:06 AM
Maybe it's much simpler than that...

Have you checked your AGP Fast Write settings?

I know I thought I was overheating, so I bought a ****load of fans and fitted them all inside the case, only to find out SmartGart was making my game freeze intermittently because I had FastWrite set to ON.

MadRuski
03-27-2007, 03:18 PM
how would i check these Fast Write settings?

fordfan25
03-27-2007, 04:02 PM
what is your power supplie? a low powerd or cheapo PSU will cause over heat and lock up's with these new GPU's.