PDA

View Full Version : Q about wingmen in a formation

Ba5tard5word
09-29-2009, 03:26 PM
So obviously in this game you generally get a flight with a max of 4 planes in it. I've noticed that within that flight, plane 2 is obviously plane 1's wingman and will tail him the whole time...but does plane 4 act as 3's wingman? 4 always seems to stick with 3 for a while though eventually it seems like they might get split up and fight on their own...

Also if I am playing co-op and we have three humans as 1, 2 and 3, and the AI as 4, does player 3 get control over 4 as a wingman? Can 1 give 4 some orders? I've never tried it out so I'm not really sure.

Ba5tard5word
09-29-2009, 03:26 PM
So obviously in this game you generally get a flight with a max of 4 planes in it. I've noticed that within that flight, plane 2 is obviously plane 1's wingman and will tail him the whole time...but does plane 4 act as 3's wingman? 4 always seems to stick with 3 for a while though eventually it seems like they might get split up and fight on their own...

Also if I am playing co-op and we have three humans as 1, 2 and 3, and the AI as 4, does player 3 get control over 4 as a wingman? Can 1 give 4 some orders? I've never tried it out so I'm not really sure.

BillSwagger
09-29-2009, 03:47 PM
from what i've read in the past, though i've never tried, all human players with in the same element can control the AI, but the flight leader aka #1's commands takes precedence.

Ba5tard5word
09-30-2009, 11:46 AM
But what about a flight of 4 planes that are all AI? Does 4 act as wingman for 3? They always seem to break into two pairs but often eventually break up.

Let's say I am fighting a group of 4 enemy planes, is there an advantage to going after #3 first, or #4? What about #1?

Tully__
10-01-2009, 05:22 AM
As far as I can make out, 4 acts as 3's wingman until 1 calls a "Rejoin" while 3 is busy in a fight. At that point 4 will abandon 3 and reform on the 1 & 2 pair.

Edit: If you're building missions and want to avoid this, make all the flights only two aircraft.

Ba5tard5word
10-01-2009, 05:01 PM
I was in a co-op the other night with one other player and we couldn't order the AI planes to land! It was a mission that definitely had a landing waypoint.

Anyway I was #1, and ordered the AI (#4) to land and he said he would, but he just kept flying around. The other guy I was flying with was #3, and he ordered the AI to land and he said he would but just kept tailing #3. #3 went to land and #4 did that dumb AI thing where they fly below you as you are landing. #3 eventually landed and #4 flew up instead of smacking into the ground like they sometimes do though.

Usually the AI will go through the waypoints and land when ordered to, but not this guy. Weird.

Tully__
10-02-2009, 03:03 AM
If you have trouble getting them to land it sometimes helps to issue the "Next Waypoint" command a lot of times. It seems that they don't like landing if they think they've missed a waypoint, issuing the Next Waypoint command forces them to ignore it and go on to the next..and the next...etc until you get to the landing point.