PDA

View Full Version : Ubi demanded a perfect review for AC2?

Choopius
11-08-2009, 12:48 PM
Here's the link (http://www.destructoid.com/ubisoft-demands-high-assassin-s-creed-2-review-score--154456.phtml) to an article about a German gaming magazine that claims that UbiSoft demanded a high score or they wouldn't receive the game for review.

Maybe I'll start a rumor of my own: The fact that it's some off-the-wall German mag claiming this and not any of the major mags or sites makes me think that it's just sour grapes on the part of the German mag. I wonder if they found out that they wouldn't be receiving a copy and decided to retaliate or maybe one of their rivals received their copy first and this is the the mag's way of complaining. It just seems odd that if this was happening, this weird 4th-tier "gaming mag" would be the one's to publicize it.

What's REALLY ridiculous is that this idiot Jim Sterling at Destructoid that wrote this article emphasizes "journalistic integrity" yet doesn't offer a counter point from Ubi's side. Nice job Jim, way to spread unsubstantiated rumors.... moron.

Choopius
11-08-2009, 12:48 PM
Here's the link (http://www.destructoid.com/ubisoft-demands-high-assassin-s-creed-2-review-score--154456.phtml) to an article about a German gaming magazine that claims that UbiSoft demanded a high score or they wouldn't receive the game for review.

Maybe I'll start a rumor of my own: The fact that it's some off-the-wall German mag claiming this and not any of the major mags or sites makes me think that it's just sour grapes on the part of the German mag. I wonder if they found out that they wouldn't be receiving a copy and decided to retaliate or maybe one of their rivals received their copy first and this is the the mag's way of complaining. It just seems odd that if this was happening, this weird 4th-tier "gaming mag" would be the one's to publicize it.

What's REALLY ridiculous is that this idiot Jim Sterling at Destructoid that wrote this article emphasizes "journalistic integrity" yet doesn't offer a counter point from Ubi's side. Nice job Jim, way to spread unsubstantiated rumors.... moron.

TheEpicWolf
11-08-2009, 12:54 PM
I seriously doubt Ubi would need to do that especially with AC2 as it quite clearly has surpassed it's predecessor. So it wouldn't make sense for Ubi to push the mags for a good review, because if the reviewers do there job properly they will indeed see that it's an amazing looking game.

Choopius
11-08-2009, 12:59 PM
Yeah, the rediculous thing though is that there are about 50 comments below the article and EVERY SINGLE ONE that I read slams Ubi. Even though there is NO EVIDENCE to suggest that they did anything wrong.

I REALLY hope someone in publicity at Ubi sees this "article" and takes action against Jim Sterling and Destructoid for this hatchet job. I'm pretty sure that this could be construed as Libel. Lawsuit anyone?

LaurenIsSoMosh
11-08-2009, 01:01 PM
I said it on the Game Informer forums and I will say it again here:

Eidos actually did this with Batman: Arkham Asylum as well.

The way magazines are putting it, this is a really terrible scandal and a sleazy move on the publisher's part. But underneath the surface it really isn't that bad.

What the publisher is, in essence, saying is, "if you're excited about this game and you plan on giving it a great score, then by all means, open up your review copy. But if you're just going to trash on it, you're not allowed to touch your review copy until the date of."

That magazine is making it out to be Ubisoft trying to bully them into giving it a great score, but in actuality Ubisoft is simply telling them to back off if they're not going to be nice about it. This can still be seen as sleazy since it deprives the gamer from reading an honest review until weeks after the game's launch, but it's the publisher's right to maintain or withdraw the expiration date on the review copy as they see fit.

JudgeQwerty
11-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Not to be disrespectful to Ubi, but they've had plenty of of badly reviewed games in the past. If you can't deal with bad reviews in this business and just sit down to tinker with the product until they get it right, then you'll never make it in this business. And judgeing by the Prince of Persia and Assassin's Creed series, they'ere not afraid to let their developers put in the hours on improving gameplay and story.

So no, I don't really believe Ubisoft would do something idiotic like this.

Choopius
11-08-2009, 01:18 PM
You know, it's not only because I'm REALLY excited for this game. I just get ****ed when I see garbage one-sided reporting disguised as "news".

It's spreading lies and rumors and as you can see by the comments on that site it's also costing a company a number of sales because most people are really stupid and blindly believe everything they read.

LaurenIsSoMosh
11-08-2009, 01:27 PM
Yeah, but out of millions and millions of people, how many of them go to places like Destructoid or Kotaku?

Most of those people probably don't care about gaming politics. They'll buy the game so long as it gets good reviews and people say good things about it. Regardless of what's said about the people who made it.

El_Sjietah
11-08-2009, 03:08 PM
Crap like this has been going on for years now. It's the way the industry works. People simply need to learn how to judge stuff themselves and stop relying on pretty numbers in a random magazine written by random people.

This goes for all decision making matters btw, from choosing what game to buy to voting. It's like people have forgotten how to think for themselves and find it much easier to let others do their thinking for them.

caswallawn_2k7
11-08-2009, 03:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Eidos actually did this with Batman: Arkham Asylum as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
yeh but Edios and Atari are the two worst firm's for this (I actually know places that now have to buy the games to review because the 2 firms wont send them review copies due to a couple of bad reviews)

this type of thing has been going on for years but Ubi is one of the few firms I haven't actually heard of doing this yet and it seem's a bit pointless with a game such as AC2 as it should get good reviews no matter what.

the only way I could see a statement along those lines being made is if a firm planned to slate the game without actually looking into it properly. (see the Turkish review that made no sense)

LaurenIsSoMosh
11-08-2009, 03:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Choopius:
Yeah, the rediculous thing though is that there are about 50 comments below the article and EVERY SINGLE ONE that I read slams Ubi. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I know what you mean. There are fifty-two comments and counting over at Game Informer that have practically taken the article as gospel. Only one so far said he wouldn't purchase it if this is true, but it's been unanimous across the board that all of them think Ubisoft is the scum of the earth for this.

Totally ignored what I wrote, even after a GI Editor jumped in and reminded people that this is an unconfirmed rumor, and an especially shady one at that.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by caswallawn_2k7:
yeh but Edios and Atari are the two worst firm's for this </div></BLOCKQUOTE>From what I'm aware, this tactic is actually pretty commonplace among developers and publishers, but the rare amateur/unprofessional magazine takes it the wrong way and totally blows it out of proportion.

WhiteKnight77
11-08-2009, 04:39 PM
The last fiscal report Ubi put out stated that sales were down 52% this year over last. That is a huge chunk of sales. Now lately, you have people signing up to the Ubi forums wanting help and not getting it and stating that they would not buy another Ubi game again. It happened just 3 days ago in the Ubi General Discussion forum for a CSI game.

Couple that with the fact that quality of the games Ubi has been releasing has dropped dramatically and you can see why there is a drop in sales, not to mention the current economies in the various countries Ubi does business with. Would any of you buy a game from a company that does not support the game over one that would such as Valve or Epic? Heck, just this past week, Epic released a Unreal 3 Developer's Kit for free so people could make games with it. What has Ubi given anyone outside of terrible support and substandard games?

Ubi is perfectly capable of demanding a good review for a review copy.

caswallawn_2k7
11-08-2009, 04:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Epic released a Unreal 3 Developer's Kit for free </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
it's only the UT3 editor with the added ability to make a exe, rather than a map/mod file. they also have really harsh regulations in place for the use of the UDK to make sure no1 can ever make money from it.

AnotherJonSmith
11-08-2009, 05:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sheppy:
Here is the saddest part. Having the Assassin's Creed review means **** for [the magazine's] bottom line. But now that they've "taken a stand" and "all teh blogs be wif us," they've now sold more copies of their magazine, increased "street cred" by calling out Ubisoft.

It amuses me that publishers still attempt this tactic. It's immoral to begin with but gaming fans do so love the "righteous stands" and all they've accomplished is making a villian of themselves and a madre of the magazine.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is probably the only guy on those comments that said something might be wrong here. It sucks because people are going to be saying crap like, "ACII looked okay, but since Ubisoft are d-bags, I'm not going to get this game."

WhiteKnight77
11-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Ah, but a person can use it to create a game to sell, you just have to agree to a licensing deal. What you are not is getting any source code, but what you do get is enough to make a game. Royalties are paid after you start selling depending on how much you make. Now if you do not intend to sell a game, but use it for another commercial application, it's $2500 up front.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
If you are creating a game or commercial application using UDK for sale or distribution to an end-user or client, or if you are providing services in connection with a game or application, the per-seat option does not apply. Instead the license terms for this arrangement are US $99 (Ninety Nine US Dollars) up-front, and a 0% royalty on you or your company's first $5,000 (US) in UDK related revenue, and a 25% royalty on UDK related revenue above $5,000 (US). UDK related revenue includes, but is not limited to, monies earned from: sales, services, training, advertisements, sponsorships, endorsements, memberships, subscription fees, rentals and pay-to-play. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

UDK Commercial Terms (http://www.udk.com/licensing)

kew414
11-08-2009, 11:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Choopius:
Yeah, the rediculous thing though is that there are about 50 comments below the article and EVERY SINGLE ONE that I read slams Ubi. Even though there is NO EVIDENCE to suggest that they did anything wrong.

I REALLY hope someone in publicity at Ubi sees this "article" and takes action against Jim Sterling and Destructoid for this hatchet job. I'm pretty sure that this could be construed as Libel. Lawsuit anyone? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Meh, it just means there's at least 50 idiots that won't be enjoying an amazing game http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Would be horrible if this did actually significantly effect AC2 sales though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Well, when it's revealed this was all a publicity stunt for the magazine, I shotgun a front-row seat so I can watch all those mindless sheep come flocking back trying to act like nothing happened http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

DimmuB0rgir
11-09-2009, 12:34 AM
Why do you think there are no reviews for Modern Warfare 2 out? Activision cracked the sads because IGN gave DJ Hero a bad review.

It happens a lot, however I have seen a couple of reviews for Assassins Creed, and they were up in the 90's. By no means a PERFECT score, but still a very good one.

Laurenissomosh has it though, they aren't saying you cant have it. They're saying we don't want to just hear nothing but complaints.

People forget, this is a business, big companies aren't out to get the respect of "Mr 28 and lives at home with mummy".

UchihaKarasu
11-09-2009, 05:57 AM
I call it Blasphemy!

WhiteKnight77
11-09-2009, 07:54 AM
Y'all should venture forth into other parts of the Ubi forums to gauge the feeling of other Ubi customers and their intent towards purchases of future Ubi products. Like I said, Ubi sales are down 52%. There has to be a reason why they are down that much.

caswallawn_2k7
11-09-2009, 08:18 AM
I do go round the other forum's but you have to remember the people here are a very very small minority of the people who actually buy the game.

look at the number of forums users (now this includes bot's and other people banned from the forum) there is little over 1million user's, yet AC1 sold 8million copies as of april (source) (http://www.ubisoftgroup.com/gallery_files/site/270/574/1956.pdf) so now assuming every person who has made an account on these forums actually bought the game your still only accounting for 1 in 8.

now when you take into context those 1 million accounts are spread over all the Ubi games you end up with a much much lower ratio.

you see official forums are mainly came to by some1 who had a problem, now this means these people coming to the forum are having a problem with something. it may be simple to fix the problem but if you have ever tried to help people here you would realise there are also some very simple people.

now these people who cant follow a simple instruction or bought the game despite their hardware not supporting the game and it being stated on the box that the hardware wasn't supported, they still feel the need to complain the game is a pile of crap because they don't understand the problem is their fault.

so by using a forum as your main source of proof is heavily flawed. now if you go across all the fan sites on the internet and find the same thing you have proof.

but there will always be pockets of people who don't like a game (look at any 360/PS3 exclusive they all get slated by fanboys for the other console) but if you look at the much wider audience you find people are enjoying the game.

Jazerri
11-09-2009, 08:26 AM
I wouldn't put this kind of thing past the marketing department of any company, but I also think there's a substantial difference between demanding a good early review in exchange for a free copy of the game, and demanding that any reviews released early are good. One requires dishonesty in exchange for the game and an exclusive, the other requires them to keep their mouths shut until after release if they don't like it. Considering they're getting something for free before its official release, and the chance to bump their sales with exclusive access to a new game, I don't think that's an entirely BS exchange. Of course, none of the articles I've seen on this are clear as to which it was, or can even confirm that it happened at all. Add to that the fact that the mag in question promptly went around advertising how very ethical they are, and it paints a pretty fuzzy picture.

Even if it turns out to be the worst case scenario with regards to Ubi's behavior it just doesn't strike me as boycott-worthy material. It's the publishers misbehaving, not the devs, and I tend to assume that the people whose job it is to increase sales however they can aren't ever going to be entirely honest about everything anyway.

Anyway, this won't affect my purchase of the game as I don't own any consoles and by the time the PC version comes out there will be plenty of unbiased reviews to read. Not that... any of those will affect my purchase either... I've spoiled too much of this game for myself already to be swayed much by reviews, unless they're all just overwhelmingly terrible. Seems unlikely.

UBOSOFT-Gamer
11-09-2009, 08:45 AM
I think it is true. But i don't care. Will buy it this or the other way, no matter was any game mag says. But ever wondered why they don't publish a demo of the game?
And maybe it's not one of the international gamer magazine. but it's far away from a off-the-wall magazine. It's number one in germany, with the most sells of all german game mags. For regular and from to time players. So if UBI-Soft would demande a prefect review, it's quite logic, to the game magzine with the most sells in germany.

But as i said, i don't care, I will buy the game. Scandal, no Scandal, bah! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ImperialDane
11-09-2009, 09:35 AM
Not really that much into Assasins creed 2. But i will say this, something smells rotten.

I mean just look at it this way, who has the most to gain ? The small magazine who can stand forward as the small gaming magazine with integrity ? Or "big bad ubisoft" who would just influence the scores in a magazine yet with higher chances of backfiring as has been seen in the future.

While most likely the magazine itself, if caught in the lie, will never really suffer from it.

So i don't know, perhaps Ubisoft did influence the scores, perhaps they did not, but why would it be a gaming magazine in Germany then to reveal the big secret and not some bigger magazine ? And why the "scandal" headline then on the front cover ? It's not exactly as if it is new that publishers try to influence.. But it almost seems here as if the magazine wants it to be huge.. Perhaps due to dwindling subscriptions ? Who knows ?

I just hope this doesn't mean gaming magazines will turn into tabloids.

Grandmaster_Z
11-09-2009, 12:37 PM
who cares about reviews. i never go by game/movie reviews. its so easy to rent a game and see if you like it instead of reading someone else's opinions. i read previews and things like that but ratings mean nothing to me.

WhiteKnight77
11-09-2009, 01:15 PM
Game companies have pulled ads from gaming sites for bad reviews in the past. Game companies withhold review copies if they can't be guaranteed a good score and they withhold copies in the future if scores are low. this is part of the business and not long ago, a reviewer at GameSpot was fired for dropping a dime about it (if memory serves me right). Game companies try to eke out what ever they can from media as they are trying to sell a product.

Seems to me that game companies could sell more product if they actually produced a decent product with features that gamers want and without moving a franchise to far from where it was originally started from. Microsoft did that for more than 25 years with one game. Why can't other companies do that?

Cjguy156
11-09-2009, 04:39 PM
And? It looks like a bunch of bull on Ubi, its kind of aggervating since it has nothing to back it up, I beleive. Its sad to see people beleive this cause I mean really, its one review, nothing important just as long as people buy it right? I bet half the people will get the game at least even if they "hate" Ubi in a way.

I dont see Ubi actually made a threat of any kind, demand could mean something totally different http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif.