PDA

View Full Version : SOS Problems with ATI resolution

TIBUSH
04-02-2005, 04:08 AM
I've just bought and installed an ATI 9800 Pro (coming from an NVidia GeForce TI4200)

My monitor is a 21' CRT Eizo

Allways have the desktop at a 1024x768 resolution

And my prefered FB-AE-PF in game resolution is 1600x1200

But I can't play with the new card and its catalist drivers because when I activate
the game, and the resolution changes from the desktop to the game, the game doesn't
fit the screen. Part of the game "outfits" the screen.

I've tried changing many options using the Display Properties without result.

I've tried it with 6.14.10.6458 and the newest catalist drivers.

Can anybody help me?

NEED FLYING!!!!

Thanks in advance (sorry my english)

Von_Rat
04-02-2005, 04:42 AM
i have this problem to. whats happening is since you are running the game at a differant res than your desktop, windows is defaulting to 60hz refresh rate.

theres 2 sloutions that im aware of. one is to get a program called reforce, i think thats its name, that locks your refresh rate. theres also a refresh rate overide under the displays tab of the advanced settings, but im not real familar with how safe it is to use.

or you can do what i do, before you start the game, simply temporarly change your desktop res to the same res as the game, don't forget to also set proper refresh rate.

after your done playing, change it back.

x6BL_Brando
04-02-2005, 08:41 AM
Desktop resolution must always be set at equal to, or more than, the in-game resolution. That's in all the manuals I have ever read.

icrash
04-02-2005, 09:32 AM
Tyr the omega driver for the Radeon card. Once installed, it puts a tab so that you can change resolution there. I run these & even got slightly better frame rates.

tsisqua
04-02-2005, 10:21 AM
Hi!

Here's your (and everyone else's) solution to that problem. Use the buttons on the front of your monitor to stretch the vertical and horizontal size, along with V. and H. positioning to fit it to your monitor. You won't have to change it back when you return to the desktop, it will remember its settings for desktop res (in your case, 1024x768) and will be just fine.

Good luck, Mate
Tsisqua

Vacillator
04-02-2005, 10:46 AM
Something else springs to mind but forgive me if it's not relevant. To get my monitor to play PF at 1280x1024 I have to edit the conf.ini file and put in those values. To get this to 'cover' the screen properly I also have to edit the line that says SaveAspect=1to read Save Aspect=0. During the loading screen I get black bars top and bottom but in-game these disappear.
If none of the above suggestions help, try this one, editing in your resolutions and the SaveAspect.
As for refresh rate, you can now fix it in the CCC as far as I recall? In any case this would not cause the problem you describe.

Wilburnator
04-02-2005, 07:54 PM
It seems to me that most of you guys aren't getting what his problem actually is. He doesn't need to "stretch" anything, I don't believe, and it has nothing to do with refresh rate. I had this problem with both my Radeon cards, it is easily solved. Right click on your desktop, go to properties/settings/advanced, the click the displays tab. Now click the button labeled monitor. Uncheck the box labeled "Use DDC Information". The previously greyed out box for setting maximum resolution will now be usable. Set the max. resolution at least as high as you want to play your game at, 1600 x 1200 or higher. Apply and exit.

I've had two Radeon cards, a 9800 Pro and now an x800 Pro. For some reason the maximum resolution in that box was set 1280 x 1024 by default. When I tried 1600 x 1200 in game, I was only seeing part of the screen I should have been seeing. Like the original poster said, the image was too big to fit on the monitor. There wasn't any "stretching" of the image to be done... and no amount of fiddling with the monitor controls could do anything. I just reset it to 1600 x 1200 as I have instructed you to do. I did a little reading at Omega Corner and this is what I learned.

I hope this helps you out. I could be wrong, but as soon as I read your post I thought "Here we go. I know EXACTLY what the trouble is", lol

Von_Rat
04-02-2005, 08:49 PM
I think he might wanna be careful messing with that. doesn't using ddc info keep you from exceeding your monitor max res.

you can do it but you should be careful not to exceed max res your moniter supports.

if you start game with your desktop at a differant res than game, your refresh rate goes to 60hz. that causes the screen not to fit. if you resize screen you still are playing at 60hz, which is to low.

you can check it by letting game finish loading. then minimize game and look at your refresh rate, it'll be at 60hz. at least it is on mine, since i don't bother using reforce or disabling anything. i just temporaly change desktop to game res.

Chuck994
04-02-2005, 11:11 PM
Check this out for the resolution problem. It worked for me
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=23110283&m=8781085992

Vacillator
04-03-2005, 10:27 AM
Wilburnator might be on to something there. I have Extended Display Indentification Data (EDID) unchecked in Monitor Properties (ATI Cat 5.1 with CCC) and I have a vague recollection that this helped sort my problem. I don't have the option for unchecking DDC information which is a bit odd. Is this OS or driver specific?

Wilburnator
04-03-2005, 01:26 PM
This option is in the catalyst control panel... just right click on the desk top and go to your display properties, or go there in the Windows control panel. I don't have the CCC installed on my machine, but I have used it. I don't know if it has this option or not, but you should still be able to set it this way, I think. Properties/settings/advanced/displays/monitor... there you are.

About exceeding the max res of the monitor... I guess I assumed his 21 in. monitor supports 1600 x 1200 resolution. My 19 in. monitor does, yet unless I uncheck the "Use DDC Information" box and setting max. res. to 1600 x 1200, my Radeon card will not allow me to go beyond 1280 x 1026 in game and still see the entire screen I am supposed to be seeing. This is an issue (I think, from what was originally posted) of the picture being waaaay too big to fit on the screen when a higher resolution is chosen...not merely that it isn't the correct size and aspect ratio.

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

A quote from the FAQ page at the Omega Drivers site-

"I€m experiencing the 60Hz refresh rate bug after installing the drivers...
In Windows 2k/XP, ALWAYS disable DDC in the ATI "Displays/Monitor" CP after installing drivers to be able to use ALL the refresh rates and resolutions your monitor supports.

Why my Windows desktop goes into panning mode when I select a custom resolution?
With the new resolutions I added some people may experience a "virtual" desktop when selecting those resolutions (960x720, 1280x960, 1360x1020, 1400x1050 and 1520x1140), the problem is that your monitor's INF file is ONLY reporting the supported resolutions to Windows and ONLY those resolutions will be chosen when Windows changes the resolution. If a resolution is NOT in the monitor's supported resolutions list, then Windows will set one of the monitor's resolutions and change to your selected resolution, but in a virtual desktop.

There is a way to fix it:
1- Make sure you monitor is identified as Plug & Play or using your Monitor driver.
2- Right Click an empty space in your desktop and click PROPERTIES, in the display properties, click the followings: SETTINGS, ADVANCED, DISPLAYS, MONITOR. On monitor attributes, you will see that "USE DDC INFORMATION" is marked, and you will also see that the maximum resolution and refresh rate for your monitor are selected. Uncheck "USE DDC INFORMATION" and click APPLY.

Now you can select ANY resolution used in my drivers with no virtual desktops." -End quote

All I can say is, I followed this advice when I got my 9800 Pro a year or so ago, and that was it. Problem permanantly solved.

Good Luck!