PDA

View Full Version : Bombing online with keyboard

DortanAmethius
02-23-2009, 01:27 AM
Hi, I'm new to the community here so this'll be my first post.

I only recently discovered IL2 after not having played a proper flight sim since around the late 90s and it's rekindled my love for the genre.

As a result of my long break from sims I don't have a working joystick anymore and probably won't be getting one any time soon due to my current financial situation.

Anyways, my question is pretty much just what the topic says. I've read in several posts that a joystick is absolutely essential for online play. While I can see how this would certainly effect anyone flying a fighter I'm just wondering if it makes as much difference to a level bomber pilot. How handicapped would I be compared to a bomber pilot who used a joystick?

DortanAmethius
02-23-2009, 01:27 AM
Hi, I'm new to the community here so this'll be my first post.

I only recently discovered IL2 after not having played a proper flight sim since around the late 90s and it's rekindled my love for the genre.

As a result of my long break from sims I don't have a working joystick anymore and probably won't be getting one any time soon due to my current financial situation.

Anyways, my question is pretty much just what the topic says. I've read in several posts that a joystick is absolutely essential for online play. While I can see how this would certainly effect anyone flying a fighter I'm just wondering if it makes as much difference to a level bomber pilot. How handicapped would I be compared to a bomber pilot who used a joystick?

Xiolablu3
02-23-2009, 01:44 AM
You are likely to wear out your keyboard by constantly 'tapping' (holding down the up/down keys will result in a stall) but its possible.

Before I had a joystick I flew fighters online with the keyboard and did well on servers with easier settings.

If you dont have much money then get onto ebay and pick up a MS Precision 2 for 5-10.

If you have an old gameport then you will be able to get a MS FF Pro for around 10 and its a very good stick.

Lt_Letum
02-23-2009, 02:23 AM
If you live in the UK send me your address to reedkiller 'at' hotmail 'dot' com and I will see if I can sort you out a stick from my spares cupboard.

Xiolablu3
02-23-2009, 07:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lt_Letum:
If you live in the UK send me your address to reedkiller 'at' hotmail 'dot' com and I will see if I can sort you out a stick from my spares cupboard. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very nice offer mate, are you the same Letum from Ukdedicated?

danjama
02-23-2009, 07:45 AM
I also started on a keyboard but i seriously recommend sorting out a joystick.

However i did use the keyboard for bombing controls. If you want i could write down the keys i used.

DortanAmethius
02-23-2009, 08:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lt_Letum:
If you live in the UK send me your address to reedkiller 'at' hotmail 'dot' com and I will see if I can sort you out a stick from my spares cupboard. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's very generous of you and I appreciate the offer, but unfortunately I'm an Aussie so I can't accept. :/ I'm thinking that I might just end up picking up a budget one from ebay as Xiolablu3 suggested.

I think I'm fairly comfortable with using the bombsight for the moment, thanks for the offer though Dan.

Lt_Letum
02-24-2009, 09:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xiolablu3:

Very nice offer mate, are you the same Letum from Ukdedicated? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was. I mostly just fly in the dedicated bomber squad now.
We fly highly organized, large bomber formations over long distances until our legs go numb.