PDA

View Full Version : I16 engine cutting out

MrPingwin
04-07-2007, 11:08 AM
Sometimes for no apparent reason I'm finding that the engine of the I16 cuts out and then usually cannot be started again. On one of the occasions when this has happened, pressing the ignition key restarted it but most of the time when it happens the ignition will make the propellor spin briefly but then it stops again.

Is there any reason why this is happening? It's definitely not due to running out of fuel, the plane getting damaged or some extreme manoeuvers as it has sometimes happened shortly after starting a mission whilst flying pretty much straight and level at about 90% throttle.

Also when it does happen, is there anyway to get the engine to restart or are my only options bailing out or crash landing?

MrPingwin
04-07-2007, 11:08 AM
Sometimes for no apparent reason I'm finding that the engine of the I16 cuts out and then usually cannot be started again. On one of the occasions when this has happened, pressing the ignition key restarted it but most of the time when it happens the ignition will make the propellor spin briefly but then it stops again.

Is there any reason why this is happening? It's definitely not due to running out of fuel, the plane getting damaged or some extreme manoeuvers as it has sometimes happened shortly after starting a mission whilst flying pretty much straight and level at about 90% throttle.

Also when it does happen, is there anyway to get the engine to restart or are my only options bailing out or crash landing?

Zeus-cat
04-07-2007, 11:16 AM
I believe the I-16 has a carborateur. Therefore, if you push the nose down (even slightly) the engine wil be starved of fuel and it will cut out. Don't push the nose down. Read the manual for tips on flying aircraft that are not fuel injected.

stanford-ukded
04-07-2007, 11:20 AM
That is correct - no fuel injection + negative G (pushing the nose down) will cut the engine.

To restart it, gain speed in a gentle dive, fuel mix to 120%, tap "I" once, see if it catches, rinse and repeat. It will catch eventually.

horseback
04-07-2007, 11:21 AM
The I-16 has a carburated engine. Since carburetors are gravity fed, anyaction or maneuver that tosses the pilot around will toss the fuel around inside the carburator.

Negative G dives and dips are a big no-no. You must fly smoothly with this aircraft, and some others with the same 'flaw'. Roll into a dive or turn, and she'll treat you right.

If you still manage to flood or starve your engine into cutting out, get into a level condition, cut your throttle back to 0%, and try to toggle your engine on (the 'I' key for most of us). It may take a couple of tries.

If that doesn't work, you better have the Magnetos mapped in your controls menu.

Save those bad flying habits for the fuel injected aircraft...

cheers

horseback

WWSpinDry
04-08-2007, 06:54 AM
It's really embarrassing when you're in a Fiat C42 and, as you're watching the Gladiator you just hammered go down, you dip the nose and kill your engine (and it obstinately refused to re-start). Heh. A few seconds after he crashed into the ground I was dead-stick landing nearby. Learn from my mistake! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Zonama
04-08-2007, 06:57 AM
Planes affected are usually biplanes or 1930s monoplanes (e.g. early Hurricanes).

VW-IceFire
04-08-2007, 08:20 AM
...and in Storm of War: Battle of Britain we'll all have to get used to it as both the Hurricane Mark I and the Spitfire Mark I suffered from the same problems. The issues were somewhat mitigated by a stop gap measure near the end of the battle. Hopefully Oleg graces us with Hurricane and Spitfire Mark II models which partially solve that particular issue.

LEBillfish
04-08-2007, 08:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire: Hopefully Oleg graces us with Hurricane and Spitfire Mark II models which partially solve that particular issue. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hopefully not, as that was a very important tactic used by the LW.......In kind was a big shock to them when fixed.

So maybe we'll get lucky and have it both ways.

F19_Ob
04-08-2007, 10:54 AM
Since pushing stick forward is the fastest possible evasive move one can make when tracers passes your head it would be regretfull not being able to use it. Be advised it may be done in the I-16 and the other planes with similar engine problems. One have just have to Idle throttle first.

I would practise a bit first so u get some experience doing it, and thus can avoid that embarrassing moment that occurs when engine quits, while u have a Luftwaffe ace on your six, trying to re-arrange your tailfeathers.

LEXX_Luthor
04-08-2007, 11:14 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

IceFire::<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hopefully Oleg graces us with Hurricane and Spitfire Mark II models which partially solve that particular issue. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You get teh roxOr pwnz radar. Be Happy. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/inlove.gif

LEXX_Luthor
04-08-2007, 11:24 AM
Also, MrPingwin, you have to have airspeed above maybe 200km/hr to reliably start engine. You want to fly I-16 (and I-153, just as bad and possibly worse) always with the thought that your engine can cut at any time, either by pushing too much on joystick, or bumping up and down in bad weather (turbulence). Never get caught low and slow with engine cutting out, cos if you don't have the airspeed, you need to dive to get that airspeed. If I want to lose some altitude, I bank and lose it, but never push on the stick except maybe for the most gentle attitude changes.

Learn your cockpit engine guages and their behavior, and you learn to predict when you may or may not have a successful engine re-start, and maybe have to try again (all the while, you get closer to the ground, or get slower, or both). This extra flying challenge to master is one primary reason why I-16 is about my fave aircraft to fly in the sim. I don't have a sound card, no engine sound in game, so I depend on the guages. Its actually kinda neat.

Some carb aircraft that cut out have the ability to start at any airspeed, even zero airspeed off airfield in the terrain far beyond Official FB/PF International Airports (even the Eastern Front airfields look like US Army Air Force strategic bomber bases http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ). Hurricane is one example I recall that can do this..

All this unless something has changed in 1946+, as I never got those addons.