PDA

View Full Version : 2 Combat Questions

Freakie1
02-17-2005, 04:55 PM
-When I fly in a combat situation I use no flaps but most planes have combat flaps. What are they good for?
-On whitch distance do I need to conf my guns and cannons (default for both is 500.0) What if I rais or lower this?

Freakie1
02-17-2005, 04:55 PM
-When I fly in a combat situation I use no flaps but most planes have combat flaps. What are they good for?
-On whitch distance do I need to conf my guns and cannons (default for both is 500.0) What if I rais or lower this?

Echo50
02-17-2005, 05:03 PM
combat flaps will bleed your airspeed, but allow you to make a tighter, quicker turn. They are also usefull for getting over the top of a vertical manuever, when your airspeed is really low.

500 meters is a prettly long shot in my book. my convergence is set to 250 meters. as a general rule never shoot more than 2X your convergence setting. So for my setup, ideally i would shoot at 250, but will take shots out as far as 500, if i think i can hit.

JunkoIfurita
02-17-2005, 08:28 PM
Convergence (i.e. where the two streams of bullets meet) is a matter of personal taste on most fronts, but bear in mind that even if the guns are set to converge further away, the act of gravity on the bullets and natural dispersion will make your shots more innacurate.

As a general rule, you don't have to compensate for gravity if the shot is closer than 300m. With that in mind, I set my machine gun convergence at 300, and my cannons at 200, or sometimes 100 (Cannons drop more quickly, and are meant for close combat whatever the case).

Try not to use cannons until, as Hartmann might put it 'the target fills your vision'.

The only time I'd set the convergence as far out as 500m is if I was in an American plane (large stream of .50cals), and I was hunting bombers where I wanted to be able to start firing out of the range of the gunners.

But even then, that's a bad tactic, as side on boom/zooms with a close convergence are still the safest way to take on bombers.

Cheers,
Junko 'Kimura' Ifurita

J_Weaver
02-17-2005, 08:50 PM
I have mine set on 200m for PF. When I play FB I put them on 150m. The reason for this is that I find myself firing on the frail Japanese planes sooner than I would a tougher German or Russian plane.

civildog
02-17-2005, 11:51 PM
Convergence works in two ways that you need to consider when setting it:

1) All things being equal it's the point at which all the rounds fired will intersect in the smallest area. Also the farther out you set the convergence the larger this intersecting area becomes(called "scatter")due to gravity and friction plus the plane shaking, etc., which nullifies some of the benefit of having those rounds land in one spot. So you want it tight and short.

2) Planes with wing guns have the annoying property of bracketing the target inside and outside the convergence point. Especially the ones with the really wide gun mounts like the P-47 or only a couple of guns like the Spitfire. That means you can't be sloppy about getting the target lined up in that point. Planes with nose guns have a really nifty way of handling convergence, though: because the guns are firing straight off the nose they don't have a wide spread when off the convergence point. So a convergence of say 200m (mine) is really good for effective hits from point-blank out to around 300-400m. Naturally you want to still get those really effective "in the zone" hits, but the nose guns are more forgiving and allow for you to make some effective marginal shots.

Make an "X" with two lines. The farther apart the lines are starting at (the gun muzzles), the farther apart the ends will be after they cross. Do the same with the narrower start points like the nose mounts have and see the difference it makes.