PDA

View Full Version : Helldiver where the hell is it?

Flydutch
12-01-2004, 06:23 PM
Not wanting to be abusive but, is anybody working on the Son of A B*Tch 2nd Class?

VW-IceFire
12-01-2004, 09:05 PM
Its definately MIA right now. Maybe we'll see it later.

VBF-83_Hawk
12-01-2004, 09:08 PM
It would be nice to have it. It would also complete the inventory for Air Group 83 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

-HH- Beebop
12-01-2004, 09:49 PM
It took a dive. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Aaron_GT
12-02-2004, 03:07 AM
AFAIK all work has been ordered to be stopped on the Helldiver so that an F4U-4 can be created :-)

Tobus75
12-02-2004, 06:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aaron_GT:
AFAIK all work has been ordered to be stopped on the Helldiver so that an F4U-4 can be created :-) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stop with the fighters already, gimme divebombers and torpedoplanes!

aminx
12-02-2004, 07:04 AM
Torp bomber dev team
DECLARATION
Everyones sick and broke until further notice.

Kamikaze1111
12-02-2004, 11:53 AM
This was never referred to or promised . . . so dont hold yer breath. A better hope would be for the Avenger and Kate.

Now if they would put the Helldiver and other aircraft and maps as an add-on . . say for $20. That way they make some more money for their effort and we get more aircraft and more maps.

Bolt40
12-03-2004, 06:54 PM
I would gladly have done without 4 or more variants of the same aircraft & the B1 , P80
and others that we really didnt need in exchange for a { flyable } Ju88 , Pe2 , TBD , TBF, B5n ,Judy & Helldiver ..oh dont forget the Ki44 ,Ki45 too all these planes that REALLY factored in the war , Oleg has done wonders for the flightsim , but he needs to quit going the easy route on making planes . http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/354.gif

heywooood
12-03-2004, 06:55 PM
if its just a matter of time....whats the damm difference

Stiglr
12-03-2004, 11:07 PM
If you guys ever get a load of how crappy these planes really were, they're not gonna be so popular.

PlaneEater
12-03-2004, 11:48 PM
Hey, Stiglr, would you preferr the A1 Skyraider prototype that flew 3/18/45?

The A5M6 is integral to early war missions. I'm glad it's being added, and personally, I would have preferred it over, say, the Ki100.

VBF-83_Hawk
12-04-2004, 03:05 AM
I'm sure the Stinson L-5 would be the less flown, but I would love to go sight seeing in it. I have about 40 hours logged flying a real one. I'm sure the only chance I will ever have to fly anouther one will be in a flight sim.

Athosd
12-04-2004, 03:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stiglr:
If you guys ever get a load of how crappy these planes really were, they're not gonna be so popular. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The SB2C replaced the Dauntless late in the war - what I've seen about it indicates it was quite an advanced design.
Even if it does fly like a pig I'd love to take it for a spin.

Acme70
12-04-2004, 08:11 AM
Advanced design or not, Most if not all the crews hated this plane,Some did like it but most would still have still flown the Dauntless, Check out this link for more info

http://www.acepilots.com/planes/helldiver.html

ElAurens
12-04-2004, 08:22 AM
Most of the "bad press" surrounding the Curtiss Helldiver comes from the shortcomings of the early models. Starting with the SB2C-3 the four wing mounted .50" Brownings were replaced with 2 20mm cannon, one in each wing. The previous 3 blade prop was replaced by a Curtiss 4 blade unit, and the engine changed to the upgraded Wright R2600-20. Rated at 1900hp, the -20 had 200 more hp than the previous engine.

The next version, the -4, had provision for 4 underwing rockets, or one each underwing 500lb. bomb.

The final variant, the -5, differed by having increased fuel capacity.

Specifications for SB2C-4:

Maximum speed: 295mph (475kph) at 18,700ft. (5,090 m.)

Service ceiling: 29,100ft. (8,870 m.)

Weights: Empty, 10,547lb. (4,784kg.) Max T/O, 16,616lb. (7,537kg.)

Armament: 2 wing mounted 20mmcannon, and 2 flexible .30 Brownings in dual mount in rear cockpit. Up to 2,000lb. (907kg.) of bombs accomodated in internal bomb bay, and underwing.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

duffys_tavern
12-04-2004, 08:41 AM
If we get the SB2C we'll need a catapult.

VW-IceFire
12-04-2004, 09:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Acme70:
Advanced design or not, Most if not all the crews hated this plane,Some did like it but most would still have still flown the Dauntless, Check out this link for more info

http://www.acepilots.com/planes/helldiver.html <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah thats the first line you run into about this plane. But you rarely hear about how crews didn't mind it so much later on when its performance and capability improved. By wars end it had better range than its predecessor, heavier firepower (20mm cannons and HVAR rockets to name a few), was relatively tough, and had a reliable engine.

I'm sure it handles like a pig...the Dauntless was known for being manuverable despite its size and weight...but I'd more or less expect that from a plane toting the weight and firepower that it does have around.

Snootles
12-04-2004, 10:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If we get the SB2C we'll need a catapult. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True. I was counting on one eventually.

It's interesting how planes like the Helldiver get "bad raps" based on their very early careers when they actually go on to attain some measure of success later on. The F3H Demon is another example. Everyone can tell you what a terrible plane it is based on the crashes and failures of the F3H-1N. In fact, as the F3H-2N and later versions pilots found it a rather enjoyable plane, apart from engine problems. And every Navy jet in the 1950's had engine trouble.

VBF-83_Hawk
12-04-2004, 10:52 AM
The only chance I will ever get to fly an SB2C will be in a flight sim...sure, I'll take one from Oleg!

SkyChimp
12-04-2004, 03:01 PM
All of the SB2Cs, except the last one, were considered dogs. They had directional instability, were unstable in a dive, and had unreliable subsystems (fuel, electrical, hydraulics,...). The problems were so bad that a second production line had to be set up just to remanufacture completed planes with appropriate fixes. Curtiss made poor use of space in the Helldiver, meaning it could never be adapted to other roles, a la TBF Avenger.

Yet not one of these issues detracts from the fact that the Helldiver was supremely successful, and sank a helluva lot of Japanese vessels.

Only the SB2C-5 incorporated all the fixes, and upgraded subsystems, which made it a truly good, airworthy, and reliable plane. But very few saw service in WWII, it was simply too late. The Helldiver had no future. Dive-bombing was dying, the Helldiver could not be adapted to other roles, and Douglas was perfecting its superb AD Skyraider.

Still, it was a very important USN/USMC type and certainly deserves inclusion in this sim.

Snootles
12-04-2004, 03:32 PM
Whether it was the Second Coming or KR@PP Incarnate, seven thousand is a lotta Hellcat. I'd say numerically that merits its inclusion.

DaBaTT
12-04-2004, 06:00 PM
Not wanting to be abusive but, is anybody working on the Son of A B*Tch 2nd Class?

Not wanting to respond abusive but IF IT WAS UP YOUR *** YOU'D KNOW RIGHT?

dAbAtt