PDA

View Full Version : Do-17 fact #6, 20mm cannon mounted in nose!

Frantish
05-31-2006, 11:21 PM
YES!
Do-17's did mount a 20mm cannons to the nose (bottom middle glass plane) in gound attack missions!

I have seen numerous pictures of 20mm armed 17's, mostly the MG/FF, but I do know of one MG151/20!

The Do-17 was used in many of the same rolls as the He-111 & Ju-88 (except verticle dive bombing).

And it was a BRITISH magazine, "The Aeroplane" that reported on the Do-17 as "At the higher speed the Do-17 seems to be pleasant on the controls and very maneuverable."
Obviously it was no sitting duck, perhaps very much like the Ju-88 in flight performance.

The MG151/20 picture is on my website, but here for your viewing pleasure.
http://web.wt.net/~kikuko/Do17depot/images/LIC_images/LIC-24_20mm_front.gif

S!

Frantish
05-31-2006, 11:21 PM
YES!
Do-17's did mount a 20mm cannons to the nose (bottom middle glass plane) in gound attack missions!

I have seen numerous pictures of 20mm armed 17's, mostly the MG/FF, but I do know of one MG151/20!

The Do-17 was used in many of the same rolls as the He-111 & Ju-88 (except verticle dive bombing).

And it was a BRITISH magazine, "The Aeroplane" that reported on the Do-17 as "At the higher speed the Do-17 seems to be pleasant on the controls and very maneuverable."
Obviously it was no sitting duck, perhaps very much like the Ju-88 in flight performance.

The MG151/20 picture is on my website, but here for your viewing pleasure.
http://web.wt.net/~kikuko/Do17depot/images/LIC_images/LIC-24_20mm_front.gif

S!

leitmotiv
06-01-2006, 03:30 AM
Frantish, I applaud your heroic efforts for a flyable Do 17Z, and I support its inclusion in B OF B. The Dornier raid on Kenley was certainly the wildest medium bomber raid of the Battle and for this reason alone the Dornier deserves to be in the order of battle! I have a question for you---have you seen a photo of the armored seat KG 2 put in their Dorniers as a field modification? I have a photo of a KG 2 aircraft which clearly shows the back of the armored seat visible above the edge of the cockpit, but that is all I've found on this interesting subject. I'd appreciate any help---cheers!

Frantish
06-01-2006, 07:59 AM
YES, just like the 111 and 88, the 17 also had armor retrofits!
The pilot seat gained large plates of steel to protect the back and head of pilot (the 217 went so far as a body shaped cavity).

leitmotiv
06-01-2006, 09:42 AM
Ah ha---so it was part of the general upgrading of the bomber force's protection! If you happen to come across a photo of the 17's particular armored seat, please let me know!

LEXX_Luthor
06-07-2006, 01:17 AM
* thumpe *

Frantish
06-19-2006, 12:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by leitmotiv:
Ah ha---so it was part of the general upgrading of the bomber force's protection! If you happen to come across a photo of the 17's particular armored seat, please let me know! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ARGH!! Cant find any online pic!!

Oh, well, time to warm up the scanner, some day when I have time...

My post is well hidden in GD :/