PDA

View Full Version : Special plea to prospective skinners of Japanese aircraft

TimTam27
08-11-2004, 02:55 AM
For those people who might be intending making some skins for PF I would like to make this special plea. Please consult actual photos of the aircraft and don't just rely on an artists profile. Apart from the fact that many old profiles of Japanese aircraft are totally ficticious. Notably the 29th Sentai wave marking. Often the profile artists add a lot of weathering that was just not there. The artists in the Osprey publications are particularly guilty.
There seems to be a belief that Japanese aircraft started losing great chunks of paint the moment they left the factory. This is a myth. Up until mid 43 when primer was no longer used, many aircraft, especially those of the Navy, were beautifully painted. I have copies of documents that show that some parts of the Zero got as many as seven coats of paint.

The key to whether an aircraft lost paint or not was the red-brown primer and if paint was field applied over an un-primed surface.

So please skinners, consult those photos before going nuts with the weathering.

TimTam27
08-11-2004, 02:55 AM
For those people who might be intending making some skins for PF I would like to make this special plea. Please consult actual photos of the aircraft and don't just rely on an artists profile. Apart from the fact that many old profiles of Japanese aircraft are totally ficticious. Notably the 29th Sentai wave marking. Often the profile artists add a lot of weathering that was just not there. The artists in the Osprey publications are particularly guilty.
There seems to be a belief that Japanese aircraft started losing great chunks of paint the moment they left the factory. This is a myth. Up until mid 43 when primer was no longer used, many aircraft, especially those of the Navy, were beautifully painted. I have copies of documents that show that some parts of the Zero got as many as seven coats of paint.

The key to whether an aircraft lost paint or not was the red-brown primer and if paint was field applied over an un-primed surface.

So please skinners, consult those photos before going nuts with the weathering.

Feathered_IV
08-11-2004, 04:14 AM
Good post!
Have you ever noticed how at il2skins.com convincing A6M skins are pretty thin on the ground? It dosent help that good Japanese aircraft reference is still hard to come by compared to European counterparts.

Personally I'm looking forward to CannonUK getting a copy of PF - Then we'll see some skins! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
http://www.mangareaders.com/forums/uploads/post-8-1066587078.gif

"If you tell me that it is necessary that we fight, then in the first six months to a year I will run wild, and I will show you an uninterrupted succession of victories. Should the war be prolonged for two or three years....I have no confidence in our ultimate victory" - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto.