PDA

View Full Version : Night Attacks & No map contact update

ESPY05
06-29-2005, 07:22 AM
As a newbie to this sim I started off at about 62% realism and have been increasing the realism with each patrol. Now I'm at either 72 or 77%, don't remember which. But the only non-realistic settings I'm using are the Map Contact Update, the noise meter, and the external view.

At my current realism settings I've been able to get pretty good at using the hydrophone contact information to do night/poor visibility attacks. I plot the target's position using the end of the hydrophone contact line on the chart. I determine the target's course and speed, plot an intercept, and move in to about 400m from the targets predicted location. I manually set the target bearing, speed, and AoB for a low gyro angle shot and then have SO track nearest target. When he calls out the bearing that I've pre-set for the solution I fire. I'm taking a risk that I might be firing at a friendly/neutral ship, or even a small tug boat or something. But sometimes I'm able to get a visual in the final seconds before I fire.

I'm wondering if this is a realistic practice or not. I see that with the map update disabled that you don't get hydrophone info. Were hydrophone operators generally able to estimate target range or not? Without a contact line, the range to target would be the missing piece of info. For those with the map update turned off, how do you estimate target range when you can't see?

ESPY05
06-29-2005, 07:22 AM
As a newbie to this sim I started off at about 62% realism and have been increasing the realism with each patrol. Now I'm at either 72 or 77%, don't remember which. But the only non-realistic settings I'm using are the Map Contact Update, the noise meter, and the external view.

At my current realism settings I've been able to get pretty good at using the hydrophone contact information to do night/poor visibility attacks. I plot the target's position using the end of the hydrophone contact line on the chart. I determine the target's course and speed, plot an intercept, and move in to about 400m from the targets predicted location. I manually set the target bearing, speed, and AoB for a low gyro angle shot and then have SO track nearest target. When he calls out the bearing that I've pre-set for the solution I fire. I'm taking a risk that I might be firing at a friendly/neutral ship, or even a small tug boat or something. But sometimes I'm able to get a visual in the final seconds before I fire.

I'm wondering if this is a realistic practice or not. I see that with the map update disabled that you don't get hydrophone info. Were hydrophone operators generally able to estimate target range or not? Without a contact line, the range to target would be the missing piece of info. For those with the map update turned off, how do you estimate target range when you can't see?

S VIIC_41
06-29-2005, 07:46 AM
I guess you could just go towards the contact and alter your course at its bearing changes.

Wouldn't work with faster ships though...

ESPY05
07-01-2005, 07:01 AM
Any more suggestions out there???