PDA

View Full Version : rudder pedals

iceman2374
02-26-2005, 03:08 PM
I just got rudder pedals and was wondering if u use rudder when you turn I never really tried it when I had it set to the twist function of my stick Thank You

kuebelwagen
02-26-2005, 03:22 PM
Yes, when banking 'step on the ball' if the ball in the turn and bank indicator rolls right give it a little right rudder, same if rolls left.

iceman2374
02-26-2005, 04:23 PM
thank you for the reply will that make u turn faster

kSetuni
02-26-2005, 07:53 PM
It will depend on which point you are in teh turn and how steep your bank is. If in a steep bank the rudder actually serves to keep your pitch axis in check and maintian a desired nose attitude. For instance when you are rolled over in a 70+ degree bank, many times to keep your altitude you add in opposite rudder. In the beginning of a turn or if not bank hard, then yes the rudder will make your turn tighter.

S.M.

Crash_Moses
02-26-2005, 09:43 PM
Also, it lets you turn more efficiently. In a turn you're fighting inertia and this tends to slow you down. Using the rudder will help you turn without losing as much speed.

iceman2374
02-27-2005, 06:14 AM
thanks for the info it is definately a lot more natural using the pedals for rudder than the twist. worth the money for them in my opinion

PriK
02-27-2005, 10:55 AM
It helps a bit to think of rudder as a handbrake in a car insomuch as it helps you skid around corners along with the more accurate descriptions above.

Rudder helps you dodge shots from behind and line up better on final approach to the runway.

Rudder is essential for evasive maneuvers when trying to shake someone off your six.