PDA

View Full Version : BnZ demonstrational tracks, please!

eddiemac0
12-07-2004, 06:59 PM
Ok, I give up, no amount of reading is going to help me. Please, someone show me a 1-on-1 between a boomer and a turner (Hellcat vs. Zero..??). Tracks, vids, anything, please, but I'm running PF stand-alone (yes, I'm getting FB and Aces soon, I love this game!). Please show me how to Boom and Zoom, because, clearly I'm not getting it.

Thanks all.

P.S. Where can I find corner speeds for aircraft?

Stiglr
12-07-2004, 10:59 PM
Not Pacific, but boom and zoom nonetheless...

Track file of a 109 vs some Hurricanes (http://www.naysayers.com/HurrisMalta.zip).

Hope this will work still, it was recorded in AEP.

VF-29_Sandman
12-08-2004, 06:01 AM
1st run in on the hurricane was a classic z/b. a '1 pass and haul azz'. note he always keeps his speed up and stayin at relatively high alt. imperative to keep up the z/b style. to be effective at it, u need to have accurate gunnery. if u miss, that bandit might get to friendlies that will make ur job much harder.

seems ur good in the german crates, can u do the same in a p-38 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

eddiemac0
12-08-2004, 06:42 AM
Thanks so much for the track, but I won't be able to play it for a month at least... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

If anyone' is willing to do a PF stand-alone one... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Sakai9745
12-08-2004, 06:59 AM
Hey Eddie. I'd post a track if I knew how, but BnZ is actually a lot easier than you might think. You probably already know that the Zero was a top-notch performer in the ring of maneuverability, but relatively slow. BnZ was a tactic that could be employed to neutralize that advantage. The key was to use the speed advantage that many US fighters had over the Zero to decide when and where to attack, and to not slow down and try to turn with it. Think of it as making a slashing attack; one pass, get away, turn around and repeat.

Full Mission Builder is a great place to start for learning the classic Boom-n-Zoom attack.

----------

1. Pick any map, then place a single Betty somewhere and give it a waypoint; make sure it has a way to go. Use an altitude of 1000m and a speed of 300 kph for both waypoints.

2. Insert a Lightning-J with no waypoint slightly behind the Betty (practically right on top of him). Your initial altitude should be between 1500 to 2000m.

3. When you start the mission, be sure you have a key mapped to AIRBRAKE.

Find the Betty once in mission. Once you have him, throttle to idle and dive down on it, aiming for a point just ahead of his flightpath. The idea is to intercept paths when you have closed to firing range. Keep your speed up, no less than 500 kph, no more than 700; you'll need all of it once you've completed your pass.

Once in range, you get 1 - 2 secs worth of firing time. This is the BOOM portion of the attack, and properly executed, it's all you get. US pilots learned defection shooting (leading the target), since they rarely tried to latch onto the tail of a plane with a maneuverability advantage. Do not give in to the temptation of leveling out on the Betty's tail. Give it a burst, then continue on diving past it.

Immediately after you are past the target, hit your airbrakes to recover from the dive (in the Lightning, you'll need it). Once level, pour on the power and climb somewhere between 30 - 45 degrees. This is the ZOOM portion. Ideally, you should be able to get back to your initial altitude before you stall.

Level out and reacquire target. If it's still airborne, repeat.

----------

Against a fighter, this becomes a bit more difficult. It it turns during your attack, you'll have to correct on the fly, or outright abort the attempt and zoom away if trying to keep a bead would bleed off too much speed.

Just remember this when you BnZ: Slow is bad. If your slow enough to where a Zero can keep up with you, you're in it's element. Add in a good stick in that Zero and most US fighters in that scenario are in for a struggle.

Stiglr
12-08-2004, 10:51 AM
Actually, Sandman, that first hurri victim was not a "one pass, and haul ***" affair. I had to make two or 3 passes to kill him, and after the first, I pulled up steeply into a lag displacement roll. Which I likely would NOT have done had there been more planes around.

The last pass, over the island with all the AAA and where I run out of ammo and begin to head home (just as the server scenario ends).... now that's a one pass get out of dodge B&Z attack.

As for a P-38, I dunno...I wouldn't set foot in one of those. They're just *targets* to me.