PDA

View Full Version : Spitfires...whats the differnce?

lucas_valentine
03-11-2004, 01:43 PM
I've just got AEP and I've been trying to work out what the difference is between all these spitfires and which is the best. The L.F. seems to be the fastest but doesn't handle very well...whereas the normal Vb is slower but turns very tightly. Is this really the only difference and if so which is the best of them to fly?

lucas_valentine
03-11-2004, 01:43 PM
I've just got AEP and I've been trying to work out what the difference is between all these spitfires and which is the best. The L.F. seems to be the fastest but doesn't handle very well...whereas the normal Vb is slower but turns very tightly. Is this really the only difference and if so which is the best of them to fly?

willyvic
03-11-2004, 04:53 PM
The Vb is a killing machine. Turns on a dime, damn near impossible to stall, can stand on its nose, and plays heck with opponents who fly with the throttle fire-walled.

http://www.geocities.com/mompeepers/willyvic/mig3u.jpg

lucas_valentine
03-11-2004, 05:05 PM
Is it better than the L.F. then?

willyvic
03-11-2004, 05:06 PM
That's relative. I like it better.

T4T-TheProf
03-11-2004, 06:55 PM
"The Vb is a killing machine. Turns on a dime, damn near impossible to stall, can stand on its nose, and plays heck with opponents who fly with the throttle fire-walled."

You do mean damn near impossible NOT to stall don't you ? The flick stall on it is just awful, ruins the plane for me. Please tell me my config is bad or something .....

Oso2323
03-11-2004, 08:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by T4T-TheProf:
You do mean damn near impossible NOT to stall don't you ? The flick stall on it is just awful, ruins the plane for me. Please tell me my config is bad or something .....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, in real life, the Spit Vb was optimised for higher operations in the 20,000 ft and up range. Not that it was particularly poor down below (for a 1941 vinatage plane).

Two things changed the RAF's tactical requirements: 1. the introduction of the FW-190, which ooutperformed the Vb in everything except turn rate. Apparently fighter command thought that roll rate was particularly important, so they introduced the clipped wings: roll increased, turn decreased (but was still better than the LW planes).

Secondly, in 1942 the LW started making very low-level 'nuissance raids" using the FW-190 as a fighter bomber. To counter this, the RAF developed the Spit LF Vb, optimised for battles below 10,000 ft (and particularly good at low levels).

As far as the game goes, try a few battles at 7500 to 10000 Metres and compare how the different planes react. Which plane is better? Depends on your fighting style and how high you are. Hope this helps.

P.S. And at first I managed to stall the Spits quite a bit. I think the trick is to enter into turns gently and then pull the stick until you're on the verge of a stall. Also I've had better luck when my plane is a full 90 degrees from the ground. I could be wrong on this.

T4T-TheProf
03-12-2004, 05:11 AM
"P.S. And at first I managed to stall the Spits quite a bit. I think the trick is to enter into turns gently and then pull the stick until you're on the verge of a stall. Also I've had better luck when my plane is a full 90 degrees from the ground. I could be wrong on this."

I think your right with this. I've noticed the same thing. I'm trying to figure what the "rules" are for turning because in some circumstances it really turns well, i.e. High Speeds. Also I notice the 1941 model seems to be the best, the clipped wing version is the worst. Whats annoying is there is there seems to be a "zone" where you get "buffeting" through the joystck, and thats where the best turn rate is, but pull a little harder and the flick stall happens, but there doesn't seem to be any warning and I haven't figured out any way of predicting it.

willyvic
03-12-2004, 06:41 AM
I enter the turn smoothly and then pull hard. She reverses direction like no other bird for me. And I do not fly with the throttle to the firewall all the time. If she does try to stall out and enter a spin I immediately release stick pressure and she'll recover. I find her a very forgiving ride.

No601_Zulu
03-12-2004, 06:54 AM
Re TNT-The Prof

"I think your right with this. I've noticed the same thing. I'm trying to figure what the "rules" are for turning because in some circumstances it really turns well, i.e. High Speeds. Also I notice the 1941 model seems to be the best, the clipped wing version is the worst. Whats annoying is there is there seems to be a "zone" where you get "buffeting" through the joystck, and thats where the best turn rate is, but pull a little harder and the flick stall happens, but there doesn't seem to be any warning and I haven't figured out any way of predicting it."

That buffeting is the warning. From the many reports and video's I have read and seen that was the characteristic as the flow over the wings started to break. A trembling feeling in the stick and a loosening of the stick load proceeded the stall. Have'nt got AEP yet as I'm from the UK but if the stall feel is as you describe thats not a bad FM

No601-Zulu

T4T-TheProf
03-12-2004, 07:42 AM
I guess the conclusion is that it's a very tricky plane in a turn fight. It has a very good turn rate, BUT, it takes a lot of practice not to flick stall it. Above all, when in a turn fight you can't afford to get excited, lose concentration and pull a little to hard, because you'll end up dead if you let that happen.