PDA

View Full Version : Saitek Pro Pedal mini review

BrotherVoodoo
02-12-2007, 06:10 PM
Since I have had them for a few weeks now, here is the review I promised you guys.

I used to to use the CH Pro Pedals and wanted something that had a slightly wider stance and a more realistic feel. I always found my self flying with my feet on the outer rims of the foot rest, not too comfy. When you push in on the CH it feels loose and springy, not to realistic. Not too comfy or realistic, time to find something else. Thats when I was immediatly drawn to the new Saitek Pro Pedals. They looked cool with a wide stance and boasted a tensioning knob to adjust the stiffness of the pedal motion. Exactly what I was looking for! Good deal too, delivered for 118$ http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I waited my week and got my new box in the mail. Out of the box they felt nice and heavy. I didn't find any metal parts really as described in their propaganda, but still at least as heavy duty as my old CH's. The first thing I did was crack up the tesioning knob up to its tightest position and gave them a try. It felt wonderful. Smoooooth and it really felt like I was pushing against a control surface. This has added much immersion for me in and of itself. They came with velcro to secure to the pedal to the floor. I suppose that would work once you find exactly where you want them, but mine is worn from moving a few times. I need to do something about that still, but no biggie. The CH did the same. They also come with heel rests and holes to actually mount to a pit. I installed the software and drivers with no probs. I went through the calibration in windows and have not had to touch it since.
I assigned the toe brakes in IL2 and recieved some excellent advise on the forums here (can't remember posters name) on how to get IL2 to see both toes to work. I think the post got nuked with the forum crash. Basically I went into the settings file in the user/doe dierctory where the joystick settings are kept. I added another line for my other toe brake to look something like

AXE_X JoystickDevice2=brakes
AXE_Y JoystickDevice2=brakes

Even though they arn't true differential brakes, it is still better than nothing. That's as good as I could do with the CH.
The programming software is kind of clunky, but it works. Not as cool as the CH control manager and its scripting abilities, but these are rudder pedals. How much fancy scripting could one need? I do use a CH Pro Throttle and Yolk so I can still reap those benifits.
All in all, I would suggest anyone looking for rudder pedals to consider these. I feel these to be an upgrade to my USB CH Pro Pedals in several ways. First is the wider stance. The it feels like a more natural place to put your feet. I play with the stick between my legs so this is imprtant to me. The foot rests are adjustable to 3 sizes. Next is the tensioning knob...to me this is a the most important feature. When I flew a Cessna with my buddy I realised what real rudders should feel like. They were stiff to move in and out and were very sensitive. To me, these Saiteks feel 1000% better than the CH in this respect. It takes a little getting used to but it is kinda like FFB for your feet. Not really FFB but you feel the pressure, which I like.
OK I am done I guess. If you have any questions let me know.

S!

BrotherVoodoo
02-12-2007, 06:10 PM
Since I have had them for a few weeks now, here is the review I promised you guys.

I used to to use the CH Pro Pedals and wanted something that had a slightly wider stance and a more realistic feel. I always found my self flying with my feet on the outer rims of the foot rest, not too comfy. When you push in on the CH it feels loose and springy, not to realistic. Not too comfy or realistic, time to find something else. Thats when I was immediatly drawn to the new Saitek Pro Pedals. They looked cool with a wide stance and boasted a tensioning knob to adjust the stiffness of the pedal motion. Exactly what I was looking for! Good deal too, delivered for 118$ http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I waited my week and got my new box in the mail. Out of the box they felt nice and heavy. I didn't find any metal parts really as described in their propaganda, but still at least as heavy duty as my old CH's. The first thing I did was crack up the tesioning knob up to its tightest position and gave them a try. It felt wonderful. Smoooooth and it really felt like I was pushing against a control surface. This has added much immersion for me in and of itself. They came with velcro to secure to the pedal to the floor. I suppose that would work once you find exactly where you want them, but mine is worn from moving a few times. I need to do something about that still, but no biggie. The CH did the same. They also come with heel rests and holes to actually mount to a pit. I installed the software and drivers with no probs. I went through the calibration in windows and have not had to touch it since.
I assigned the toe brakes in IL2 and recieved some excellent advise on the forums here (can't remember posters name) on how to get IL2 to see both toes to work. I think the post got nuked with the forum crash. Basically I went into the settings file in the user/doe dierctory where the joystick settings are kept. I added another line for my other toe brake to look something like

AXE_X JoystickDevice2=brakes
AXE_Y JoystickDevice2=brakes

Even though they arn't true differential brakes, it is still better than nothing. That's as good as I could do with the CH.
The programming software is kind of clunky, but it works. Not as cool as the CH control manager and its scripting abilities, but these are rudder pedals. How much fancy scripting could one need? I do use a CH Pro Throttle and Yolk so I can still reap those benifits.
All in all, I would suggest anyone looking for rudder pedals to consider these. I feel these to be an upgrade to my USB CH Pro Pedals in several ways. First is the wider stance. The it feels like a more natural place to put your feet. I play with the stick between my legs so this is imprtant to me. The foot rests are adjustable to 3 sizes. Next is the tensioning knob...to me this is a the most important feature. When I flew a Cessna with my buddy I realised what real rudders should feel like. They were stiff to move in and out and were very sensitive. To me, these Saiteks feel 1000% better than the CH in this respect. It takes a little getting used to but it is kinda like FFB for your feet. Not really FFB but you feel the pressure, which I like.
OK I am done I guess. If you have any questions let me know.

S!