PDA

View Full Version : Question about PCs.



TheJoyStick
11-21-2004, 05:41 PM
I bought a PC from a dude next door for 180$. He says it's 6 months old, and he was installing RAM into it and somehow fried the mobo.

He says the PC was off, but he took it to bestbuy to get them to fix it, but they told him he fried the mobo becuase he wasn't "grounded".

Anyway, this PC isn't too great, but it came with a really badass flat panel monitor that I've always wanted, and a wireless keyboard/mouse combo.

I could care less about the PC honestly, but I figure since I've got it, I might as well see if I can get it going.



Here's what happens -

I press the power button, the PC light under the power button comes on, the drives spin for a second or two, then they stop. However, fans keep working, DVD/CD drives keep working, but nothing else does. No picture, etc etc.


I thought he put in the wrong RAM or something, but wasn't sure, so I opened it up. Everything's connected right, everything looks good, however he's got two sticks of completely different RAM.

I took one out and left the original, but that didn't fix it either, so what do you think the problem is?

I think PSU, or something similar. I don't think the HD is damaged cuz I never get a picture and I never see the BIOS.



Any input would be great.



NOTE: It's an HP Pavallion 7955


http://www.computergeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=HP7955

x6BL_Brando
11-21-2004, 06:38 PM
Like bestbuy said - fried mobo or cpu. Really, looking at the spec, it's a pile o' sh1te and not worth messing with. Salvage the HD for a storage solution, the CD/RW, and the floppy and anything else you think might be useful; recycle the rest. It'd make a good maximum-security prison for anti-social hamsters.

At least you got a groovy monitor....http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

LuckyBoy1
11-21-2004, 06:54 PM
Scrap it for parts because those symptoms are classic dead motherboard signs!

steve_v
11-21-2004, 07:25 PM
If you report what beep codes you hear on startup, that should eliminate most guessing.

TheJoyStick
11-21-2004, 08:45 PM
No beeps.

steve_v
11-21-2004, 09:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheJoyStick:
No beeps. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>PSU

TheJoyStick
11-21-2004, 09:25 PM
That's my thought too, but how can I verify that?

STENKA_69.GIAP
11-22-2004, 06:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheJoyStick:
That's my thought too, but how can I verify that? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Take the PSU out of your good PC and put it in the new cheap wreck - 10-15 minutes work and not a lot of expertise.

Also - while you have the lid off remove the battery - move the jumper to clear CMOS then put it back.

If you're lucky it will start up afterwards (if you're unlucky it will fry or blow fuse in your PSU and then you will have two wrecks).

ASM 1
11-22-2004, 07:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by x6BL_Brando:
Like bestbuy said - fried mobo or cpu. Really, looking at the spec, it's a pile o' sh1te and not worth messing with. Salvage the HD for a storage solution, the CD/RW, and the floppy and anything else you think might be useful; recycle the rest. It'd make a good maximum-security prison for anti-social hamsters.

At least you got a groovy monitor....http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif thats not really much of a spec - and in any case it is a Socket 423 which means that you cant really do much in terms of upgrading.....

I am afraid, looking at that spec it is a good bit older than "6 months" - so your neighbour is telling you fibs - try 3 years.


As LB says - salvage parts and bin the rest, not really worth messing around with IMHO.

Vengeanze
11-22-2004, 07:56 AM
I'm with Stenka. Take your PSU from your comp and test it in the new wreck comp.

Love the anti-social hamster comment. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

TheJoyStick
11-22-2004, 11:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ASM 1:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by x6BL_Brando:
Like bestbuy said - fried mobo or cpu. Really, looking at the spec, it's a pile o' sh1te and not worth messing with. Salvage the HD for a storage solution, the CD/RW, and the floppy and anything else you think might be useful; recycle the rest. It'd make a good maximum-security prison for anti-social hamsters.

At least you got a groovy monitor....http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif thats not really much of a spec - and in any case it is a Socket 423 which means that you cant really do much in terms of upgrading.....

I am afraid, looking at that spec it is a good bit older than "6 months" - so your neighbour is telling you fibs - try 3 years.


As LB says - salvage parts and bin the rest, not really worth messing around with IMHO. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


Yeah, it has a TNT card in it, so I figured that out pretty quick. Oh well, the monitor kicks ***, and mine had a few BB holes in it, and was about to **** out anyway.