PDA

View Full Version : Secret hint in Ezio's name?

SBRedFlag
08-19-2009, 11:54 AM
I was curious because we're told that Ezio means eagle, so I typed his entire name into Google Translate and got the following result:
Ezio hearing from florence

So assuming Ubisoft was telling the truth about the meaning of Ezio, this means Eagle Hearing from Florence.

Which makes absolutely no sense.

Well actually, if you take into account that from Florence means that he is "of florence" then it make more sense:

A person named "Eagle Hearing" that comes from Florence.
So in the first game we had Eagle Vision. Is this a hint that Ezio will have an ability called Eagle Hearing? Or am I just stupid?

Just felt like sharing this, in case any italian speakers can make better sense of it or others want to speculatehttp://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

SBRedFlag
08-19-2009, 11:54 AM
I was curious because we're told that Ezio means eagle, so I typed his entire name into Google Translate and got the following result:
Ezio hearing from florence

So assuming Ubisoft was telling the truth about the meaning of Ezio, this means Eagle Hearing from Florence.

Which makes absolutely no sense.

Well actually, if you take into account that from Florence means that he is "of florence" then it make more sense:

A person named "Eagle Hearing" that comes from Florence.
So in the first game we had Eagle Vision. Is this a hint that Ezio will have an ability called Eagle Hearing? Or am I just stupid?

Just felt like sharing this, in case any italian speakers can make better sense of it or others want to speculatehttp://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

Charlie_Romeo
08-19-2009, 12:08 PM
doubtful imo but u never know.

i would nt like it tho i have music while playing games so it would be anyoing.

SBRedFlag
08-19-2009, 12:11 PM
But it wouldn't be the first games to give audio hints.

Charlie_Romeo
08-19-2009, 12:26 PM
AC1 they did it tho so they might do it again but ....

SBRedFlag
08-19-2009, 12:31 PM
...The first game used audio hints? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif Do you mean when some speaker dudes were meant to be interrogated?

thekyle0
08-19-2009, 12:37 PM
You were right the second time. You are stupid. No offense though, if anything the online translator is misleading you with direct tranlations.
Ex: In english I can say, "I'm going to run the store." What it really implies is that I'm going to the store, not actually running.

In this case I think "hearing" is supposed to imply that he comes from there.
Ezio Auditore "Da Firenze".
Ezio Auditore "from Florence".

There was an inerview that explained this. I'll edit if I can find it.

Charlie_Romeo
08-19-2009, 12:44 PM
i misunderstood u i thought u were still on about his name meaning something like they did in AC1

SBRedFlag
08-19-2009, 12:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thekyle0:
You were right the second time. You are stupid. No offense though, if anything the online translator is misleading you with direct tranlations.
Ex: In english I can say, "I'm going to run the store." What it really implies is that I'm going to the store, not actually running.

In this case I think "hearing" is supposed to imply that he comes from there.
Ezio Auditore "Da Firenze".
Ezio Auditore "from Florence".

There was an inerview that explained this. I'll edit if I can find it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I guessed as much... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

But now I can laugh in your face if I turned out to be right and they do put in this extremely useless feature in the game http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Charlie_Romeo:
i misunderstood u i thought u were still on about his name meaning something like they did in AC1 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oh, I see, I actually misunderstood you.

Now that you mention it, even though Altair's last name meant son of none, that didn't play into the story. At all.

thekyle0
08-19-2009, 12:50 PM
So describe to me how you pictured "eagle hearing".

Is it used to listen in on some fashionistas gossiping about Ezio down the street? Is the catch that he doesn't need to sit down to gain this ability?

SBRedFlag
08-19-2009, 12:55 PM
You know, like an echolocation in the dark type of deal http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

thekyle0
08-19-2009, 12:59 PM
If I'm in the dark I'll turn the game brightness up.

SBRedFlag
08-19-2009, 01:14 PM
Dude, I wasn't being serious, chill out. I didn't directly attack you or something did I?

Atkamon
08-19-2009, 01:19 PM
Well, Ezio doesn't really mean eagle, or at least its not how italians say eagle... They said it means "Eagle, OR The Flying One", and they mentioned "Bird of Prey" too... So it doesnt exactly mean eagle, it just kind of relates to the word eagle. And you cant find the word Ezio in any internet dictionaries...

thekyle0
08-19-2009, 01:24 PM
No dude. I was just saying why add a feature to the game if it doesn't have much use since there is already an easy way out?

It would also be alot easier to write into the story that eagle vision lets you see in the dark then giving Ezio sonar like a bat which further reinforces the misconception that he is Batman.

Oh wait, a glider, a cape, a quest for veangence, gadgets, and a tricked out belt? Crap he is Batman. Sorry, I guess sonar was perfectly acceptable.

SBRedFlag
08-19-2009, 01:25 PM
Yeah, the italian word for Eagle is aquila, if I'm not mistaken.

Maybe the new ability is "The Flying One Hearing" or "Bird of Prey Hearing"

Eh, no.

DarkAutocon
08-19-2009, 01:28 PM
i am sure i heard that you dont translate it to "hearing" but rather "listener", so its "listener of Florence"

thekyle0
08-19-2009, 01:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Atkamon:
Well, Ezio doesn't really mean eagle, or at least its not how italians say eagle... They said it means "Eagle, OR The Flying One", and they mentioned "Bird of Prey" too... So it doesnt exactly mean eagle, it just kind of relates to the word eagle. And you cant find the word Ezio in any internet dictionaries... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
In developer diary 1 they said that the origins for his name come from Greece. I don't speak greek or do any research in online translators because they can often be wrong/skewed. It may be some kind of slang term or come from an abandoned dialect. Both are possibilities that that online translators dismiss. They only provide the rigid modern interpretations of language.

DarkAutocon
08-19-2009, 01:31 PM
#and also Ezio originates from the Greek or Latin (can't remeber which one) Aetos

Captain Tomatoz
08-19-2009, 06:29 PM
Im sure its Eagle Listener of Florence

(thats what i either read or heard but i cant remember which http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif)

SWJS
08-19-2009, 06:44 PM
Ezio's name is actually his title of nobility. His actual surname hasn't been revealed.

Ezio Auditore da Firenze
Ezio Auditor(Banker) of Florence.

SBRedFlag
08-19-2009, 07:28 PM
aha, good thinking. I will proceed to go hide in a corner http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Cornik22
08-19-2009, 07:40 PM
If you want my opinion, here’s what happened. Google translator tried to translate "Auditore" and "Da Firenze" (Which, as you already know, means "from Florence"). Auditore is an italian word that could be roughly translated as "the one who hears" or "the listener". Why? Because the word auditore comes from the latin "auditor", a person who in medieval times was a qualified accountant "hearing" the accounting records of a powerfull person and then putting them on paper because very few people knew how to write back then (I hope you understand what I’m trying to explain, because it’s kinda confusing)
So that´s where the confusion comes from. Ezio Auditore Da Firenze is translated as "Ezio hearing from Florence", wich of course doesn´t make any sense because Auditore is Ezio´s surname and wasn’t supposed to be translated http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif So no secret message here, just a bad translation. Sorry!

SBRedFlag
08-19-2009, 08:19 PM
Yeah, we figured that out on the previous page.

Grimm-X67
08-19-2009, 11:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cornik22:
If you want my opinion, here’s what happened. Google translator tried to translate "Auditore" and "Da Firenze" (Which, as you already know, means "from Florence"). Auditore is an italian word that could be roughly translated as "the one who hears" or "the listener". Why? Because the word auditore comes from the latin "auditor", a person who in medieval times was a qualified accountant "hearing" the accounting records of a powerfull person and then putting them on paper because very few people knew how to write back then (I hope you understand what I’m trying to explain, because it’s kinda confusing)
So that´s where the confusion comes from. Ezio Auditore Da Firenze is translated as "Ezio hearing from Florence", wich of course doesn´t make any sense because Auditore is Ezio´s surname and wasn’t supposed to be translated http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif So no secret message here, just a bad translation. Sorry! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, I only read a bit of this post but it makes enough sense.

First of all, ******* it, did we not agree that "Ezio Auditore da Firenze" meant "Eagle Listener of Florence"? Anyways I approve of this post as we already know Ezio is a rich boy because he's (presuming) apprentice and his family as a whole is in banking so this makes sense to me.

SWJS
08-20-2009, 02:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EzioTheAssassin:
Ezio's name is actually his title of nobility. His actual surname hasn't been revealed.

Ezio Auditore da Firenze
Ezio Auditor(Banker) of Florence. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll add on to my previous post. Ezio doesn't exactly translate to eagle. It is a word of greek origin that means several diffierent things in the Italian language, including eagle and bird of prey, so while Ezio does have meaning, it is a name, and therefore shouldn't be translated.

As I said before, Ezio's "surname" is really his title of nobility.

Ezio Auditore da Firenze
Ezio Auditor(Banker) of Florence

Ezio's family has long been into the business of banking, as Giovanni was also a banker, and Ezio inherited his father's title.

So as you now know, "Eagle Listener of Florence" is a false translation, and Ezio's surname isn't an actual surname, but a title. However, noble men always used their titles as a surname, so they never used actual surnames.

NoxieDC
08-20-2009, 04:53 AM
Also, in that period (at least, in some parts of the world I believe), having a surname meant being recognized for a trait or influence, so the Auditore title must have come pretty recently in the family.

Cornik22
08-20-2009, 05:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ezio's family has long been into the business of banking, as Giovanni was also a banker, and Ezio inherited his father's title. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not so long, since the first bank ever created was founded in 1407 at Genoa, Italy. Banking was something new in those times. Probably Giovanni was the first banker in the family.

Chiiru22
08-20-2009, 08:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sbredflag:
You know, like an echolocation in the dark type of deal http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since when do eagles have echolocation? lol http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif