PDA

View Full Version : Gunnery/Convergence question

Noxx0s
04-13-2011, 10:45 AM
Alright so I've been using 180 meters for both MGs and cannons on pretty much every aircraft except for the 262 (I use 250 meters on that so I don't ram the plane before I fire lol).

My question is, particularly when it comes to German 20mm (hispano 20mm seems to not fall as fast... am I wrong?) is does having the cannon range identical to MG range make it so that they won't actually converge at 180 meters? (because the cannon rounds fall faster obviously)... Sometimes it seems like when I'm directly behind someone and fire I miss with my initial shot and have to raise up/go down quickly to kill him before he can break off... which tells me I'm doing something wrong.

What about 30mm (like in a K4)? Is it stupid to set it to 180 meters because the rounds fall so fast?

I guess what I'm asking is, should I be setting my cannon slightly higher so that they actually hit the exact (more or less) same area as the MGs?

I'm not one who uses MGs and cannon separately 90% of the time... unless I'm in a K4, so I have no interest in having my MGs or cannons set at completely different convergences to allow me to target a/c at different ranges. I just want the damn things to all hit the same spot. That is, 180 meters, which I've found is just my personal "ideal" range to fire at.

Thanks for any help guys.

Noxx0s
04-13-2011, 10:45 AM
Alright so I've been using 180 meters for both MGs and cannons on pretty much every aircraft except for the 262 (I use 250 meters on that so I don't ram the plane before I fire lol).

My question is, particularly when it comes to German 20mm (hispano 20mm seems to not fall as fast... am I wrong?) is does having the cannon range identical to MG range make it so that they won't actually converge at 180 meters? (because the cannon rounds fall faster obviously)... Sometimes it seems like when I'm directly behind someone and fire I miss with my initial shot and have to raise up/go down quickly to kill him before he can break off... which tells me I'm doing something wrong.

What about 30mm (like in a K4)? Is it stupid to set it to 180 meters because the rounds fall so fast?

I guess what I'm asking is, should I be setting my cannon slightly higher so that they actually hit the exact (more or less) same area as the MGs?

I'm not one who uses MGs and cannon separately 90% of the time... unless I'm in a K4, so I have no interest in having my MGs or cannons set at completely different convergences to allow me to target a/c at different ranges. I just want the damn things to all hit the same spot. That is, 180 meters, which I've found is just my personal "ideal" range to fire at.

Thanks for any help guys.

Romanator21
04-13-2011, 02:38 PM
If you set the gun and cannon convergences to 180 meters then they should both be at the same place at 180 meters. The cannon has a lower muzzle velocity so beyond that distance is where you are going to have problems.