PDA

View Full Version : Online Wars - Some questions from a sorta-noob

SweetMonkeyLuv
01-06-2006, 09:42 AM
First off, S! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

So, my situation is thus: I've been doing WW2 era flight simming for about 4 years now, on and off. I've got a nice PC setup with a x45/CH pedal/trackIR3. Most of my time in the virtual cockpit has come in WorldWar2Online. While I have had FB/AEP/PF for quite a while, I've not played it all that much, and mostly done so in campaign mode (did some DF servers for a brief time, but pure DF kinda bores me).

I'm trying to find out more about IL2 Online wars, how they work, and figure out what I need to do to get involved in em. The IL2 Community Manual is sorta sketchy on the topic. I was wondering if someone could help enlighten me, or point me in the direction of good reading materials on the topic.

- As of now (Jan 2006), which ones are currently active and have regular participation? I've been to a few sites of some, and they've looked barren.

- How exactly do they work? Are they all based off of DCG, as in, the admin generates missions, then someone hosts the missions, everyone joins and plays, then the result file is somehow passed back to DCG? I don't understand how DCG works, so I guess I need to look into it, but a high-level overview would be nice.

- Are the missions for these generally all dogfights? Is ground support/attack emphasized? Strat bombing? Intercept?

- I generally prefer to fly close to "realistic" settings ( except icons and map stuff, which I like ). Are most of the online wars out there close to this? No external views & padlocking and stuff?

- Sounds like joining a squadron is STRONGLY encouraged, if not required. Is this the case? Better for me to go to the Squadron forum here and look around, or do the online wars themselves have their own squadrons?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

SweetMonkeyLuv
01-06-2006, 09:42 AM
First off, S! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

So, my situation is thus: I've been doing WW2 era flight simming for about 4 years now, on and off. I've got a nice PC setup with a x45/CH pedal/trackIR3. Most of my time in the virtual cockpit has come in WorldWar2Online. While I have had FB/AEP/PF for quite a while, I've not played it all that much, and mostly done so in campaign mode (did some DF servers for a brief time, but pure DF kinda bores me).

I'm trying to find out more about IL2 Online wars, how they work, and figure out what I need to do to get involved in em. The IL2 Community Manual is sorta sketchy on the topic. I was wondering if someone could help enlighten me, or point me in the direction of good reading materials on the topic.

- As of now (Jan 2006), which ones are currently active and have regular participation? I've been to a few sites of some, and they've looked barren.

- How exactly do they work? Are they all based off of DCG, as in, the admin generates missions, then someone hosts the missions, everyone joins and plays, then the result file is somehow passed back to DCG? I don't understand how DCG works, so I guess I need to look into it, but a high-level overview would be nice.

- Are the missions for these generally all dogfights? Is ground support/attack emphasized? Strat bombing? Intercept?

- I generally prefer to fly close to "realistic" settings ( except icons and map stuff, which I like ). Are most of the online wars out there close to this? No external views & padlocking and stuff?

- Sounds like joining a squadron is STRONGLY encouraged, if not required. Is this the case? Better for me to go to the Squadron forum here and look around, or do the online wars themselves have their own squadrons?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

x__CRASH__x
01-06-2006, 03:11 PM
THere are a number of them out there, and most, if not all of them, are based on the DCG. They all differ from one another in specifics, but the overall context is the same. Pick a mission type, fly the objective, make the objective, while at the same time trying to deny the enemy their objective, and that moves the front line. Missions depend on what you are trying to accomplish to meet overall goals. I won't speak on them specifically, but in general, you can search and detroy a bomber formation or resupply formation. You could attack ground targets such as tanks or columns. Or you can attack bases or other ground targets.

A lot of times the two sides will meet, and straight dog fighting will ensue. I've flown missions where I'm pickling a bomb on some tanks and then dog fighting moments later. It all depends what the scenario is.

If you want a list of what is out there... the best thing I can suggest is to look at the Hyperlobby. Every room in there, except for Ghost Skies, is an online campaign.

Good luck

carguy_
01-06-2006, 03:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SweetMonkeyLuv:
- As of now (Jan 2006), which ones are currently active and have regular participation? I've been to a few sites of some, and they've looked barren. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most active are Virtual Online war and CAD.Less active but still are "IL2 war".We`re trying to lure ppl in flying to "Europe in flames" which is also a very good war with a Cuban map and very interesting planesets.

All of them besides VOW are based on DCG.VOW is just a set of user-made missions in multiple theatres of operations.It`s too easy to get by a mission identical to this played two hours ago though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">- Are the missions for these generally all dogfights? Is ground support/attack emphasized? Strat bombing? Intercept? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That depends on planesets.If for example you get a Me109 vs La5 encounter there`s bound to be a big DF@5000m or so.If it`s Emil vs I16 thtere is basicly no dogfighting.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">- I generally prefer to fly close to "realistic" settings ( except icons and map stuff, which I like ). Are most of the online wars out there close to this? No external views & padlocking and stuff? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All on besides speedbar.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">- Sounds like joining a squadron is STRONGLY encouraged, if not required. Is this the case? Better for me to go to the Squadron forum here and look around, or do the online wars themselves have their own squadrons? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Basicly each and every player has to have a squad.That said,you don`t need to actually join a squad.If you`re alone,just register and ask any squad leader to let you fly "with them".It`s not in fact with them,your stats are just in the squad roster you joined.