PDA

View Full Version : Looking at graphics card upgrade...

Cobra427so
08-07-2007, 12:47 AM
Hi guys,

I've currently got a Geforce 6600GT 8x AGP 256 meg graphics card - Good card, has served me well and is still running strong. I'd like to stay in the Nvidia family, and I need to stay with the AGP slot cards.

My question is this, the highest card I have been able to find in the AGP configuration is a GeForce 7950GT 8x 512meg GDDR3 Dual DVI card... is there anything faster in the 8x AGP configuration or is this the top?

This card's stats show it to be literally three times faster than my 6600GT, so I would definitely see a major difference, but if there's something a little better, it might be worth it.

Regards,
Cobra427so

Cobra427so
08-07-2007, 12:47 AM
Hi guys,

I've currently got a Geforce 6600GT 8x AGP 256 meg graphics card - Good card, has served me well and is still running strong. I'd like to stay in the Nvidia family, and I need to stay with the AGP slot cards.

My question is this, the highest card I have been able to find in the AGP configuration is a GeForce 7950GT 8x 512meg GDDR3 Dual DVI card... is there anything faster in the 8x AGP configuration or is this the top?

This card's stats show it to be literally three times faster than my 6600GT, so I would definitely see a major difference, but if there's something a little better, it might be worth it.

Regards,
Cobra427so

stansdds
08-07-2007, 04:11 AM
8x AGP is the top of the line in AGP. My system uses PCIe and I went from a 6800 Ultra to a 7950GT with 512MB RAM. It increased my frame rates slightly, but the bigger impact was on graphics quality. With the 6800 Ultra I really could go no higher than 2x or 2xS with anti-aliasing and water=1 was the most playable, but the 7950 allows me to use 4xAA and water=2 or even 4 and still have good frame rates. Only problem with Nvidia is the stuttering issue. To see it demonstrated just run the F4Utt track and watch the stutters as the Corsairs fly low over land. I don't think this issue will ever be completely resolved.

K_Freddie
08-07-2007, 05:17 AM
The AGP hardware interface, AFAIK, is on the way out coz PCIe(enhanced) is faster. I've had an NVidia 7900 GTX 512MB Vram for about a year now and it runs flawlessly.

All games are set to maximum graphics configs and it's smooth. The big thing nowdays is the Vram (memory on the graphics card). The more of this the better as games load all the textures and stuff onto this ram.
If you don'thave enough of it the textures have to be loaded when needed from the PC memory, and this produces graphics 'stutters' and frame-rate drop.

It's worth it max out ($$) on the graphics card as it'll last you 3-4 years at least.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

TgD Thunderbolt56
08-07-2007, 09:07 AM
The 7950GT is an excellent card and would be a tremendous performance boost for you as long as your cpu doesn't bottleneck it.

Just bewre that this will likely be the last decent upgrade for the aging AGP interface (as has already been stated). It may come to pass that only mid-range cards will be available for the older architecture because putting a faster card into a pc that is running a P4 3.2 or something comparable would be a waste.

TB

Cobra427so
08-07-2007, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the input guys, Yes I'm running a AMD 3.2 and the graphics card is just the boost my system needs to hold me thru till I build myself a new rig next year.

The card is affordabe and will continue to make the rig useful even after I build a new one. Since I have alot of my work on this one, it will not be retiring for another couple of years.

Regards,
Cobra427so