PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a joystick?

tom157
02-09-2005, 07:23 AM
Hi
I am going to buy IL-2. Do I need a joystick to play the game?
Or is it no problem to play the game with my keyboard?
I have Battlefield 1942 and there it's better to play with the keyboard.
Can you help me?
And if I need a joystick, do I need a expensive one?

Bye

Tom

Ps: I am not really good in Egnlish so sorry for the mistakes http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

tom157
02-09-2005, 07:23 AM
Hi
I am going to buy IL-2. Do I need a joystick to play the game?
Or is it no problem to play the game with my keyboard?
I have Battlefield 1942 and there it's better to play with the keyboard.
Can you help me?
And if I need a joystick, do I need a expensive one?

Bye

Tom

Ps: I am not really good in Egnlish so sorry for the mistakes http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

VF-19
02-09-2005, 07:37 AM
Well, personally, from experience, I'd say, yes you DO need a joystick to properly play the game. Now, to get an expensive joystick, I'd say not really. Set a budget, (say $50 Canadian), and start looking around for a stick.

However, the game can be played from the keyboard, so you can try playing it that way first if you wish.

Now if you're looking for joystick reccomendations, you could consider one of Saitek's cheaper joysticks. I can't vouch for them (as I only own a X45), but they should do nicely as a stick.

reddevil49
02-09-2005, 07:41 AM
I would have to say yes you should get a joystick to play. You can use the keyboard but I don't recomend it. You don't have to get a high priced stick just make sure it has a twist grip and things should be fine.

TgD Thunderbolt56
02-09-2005, 07:55 AM
Get a joystick...period. Anything will be better than a keyboard, but try to get something decent.

A good starting point would be something like a Saitek EVO. You'll still need to use some keyboard commands, but you'll get the flavor of what's going on with some semblence of immersion.

Welcome aboard.

TB

Bearcat99
02-09-2005, 08:12 AM
Get a joystick....... this sim is cahllenging enough with a joystick.... a keyboard.. it can be done..... you can ride a Harley naked in the desert if you want to... but why would you?

Go for something no less that $50 like a previous poster said..... make sure it has a rudder function and stay away from Logitech.

Taylortony
02-09-2005, 02:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> you can ride a Harley naked in the desert if you want to... but why would you.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh thanks for putting that thought in my mind before I go to bed..... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

possibly to get a nice tan http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I would try it on the kboard first then get a jstick if you find it is hard to fly on the board.......... but a stick will definately be the preferred choice.

Skycat_2
02-09-2005, 08:23 PM
Technically, you can fly without a joystick. There are keyboard commands for everything, including rudder input and throttle.

The problem with 'keyboard only' is that there are a lot of inputs to worry about all at once. Also, your flying will be jerky using the up/down, right/left keys. A joystick definately helps. Definately.

I'd recommend a stick that has a throttle slider and several programmable action buttons besides only the trigger button.
Other useful features include an 8-way HAT switch (so you can 'look around' with your thumb while flying), and a z-axis that will allow you to control the rudder by twisting the joystick. (Rudder control becomes important during takeoffs and some aerial maneuvers.) These are fairly standard features that can be found on a stick in the $30-50 USD range.

heywooood
02-09-2005, 08:27 PM
flying without a 'stick is like driving a car using the buttons on the radio....same same.

-HH- Beebop
02-09-2005, 09:19 PM
Flying IL-2~ without a joystick is like writing without an opposable thumb.

Akronnick
02-09-2005, 09:29 PM
It's lke using windows withou a mouse

civildog
02-09-2005, 10:27 PM
Waddya, nuts?

A plane sim without a joystick is like, well....unthinkable! It's downright counter-intuitive.

Sabla
02-09-2005, 10:53 PM
Sure you can play it without a joystick,or a keyboard or mouse or even a computer for that matter.
It'simple.
Just go to the city park.
Put your arms out to your side.
And run around sputtering and making other "airplane" noises. (rata-tata-tata-tat!!!) Strafe dogs, bushes, and little kids to your hearts content!

You might soon find others joining in on the fun as they pursue you about the park!
Just be sure to holler out "I'm a Spitfire! or I'm a YAK3! so everyone will know what they are up against....