PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the JU-88

Woke_Up_Dead
12-12-2008, 04:53 PM
First of all, how do I access the rear machine-gun on the port side? Whenever I cycle through the possible positions in this plane I can only access the starboard rear-firing machine gun on the top, can't get to the one directly behind the pilot.

And second, what do you find is the best way to defend against an attacking fighter online: hit the level flight button and man the guns yourself or let the AI handle the shooting while you perform evasive maneuvers? Or a combination of the two?

Woke_Up_Dead
12-12-2008, 04:53 PM
First of all, how do I access the rear machine-gun on the port side? Whenever I cycle through the possible positions in this plane I can only access the starboard rear-firing machine gun on the top, can't get to the one directly behind the pilot.

And second, what do you find is the best way to defend against an attacking fighter online: hit the level flight button and man the guns yourself or let the AI handle the shooting while you perform evasive maneuvers? Or a combination of the two?

I_KG100_Prien
12-12-2008, 06:23 PM
You can't man the port side gun.. It wasn't modeled in the game, there was an explanation but I don't remember why.. I think it had something to do with the A.I.

Defending against fighters online:

Do NOT fly straight and level this makes an already big scrumptious target even easier to hit. You need to make evasive maneuvers and make the fighter work harder for his "kill".

You might have mixed results with using "Otto" (AI Gunner) online.. I personally don't because they don't seem to live up to their "deadly" reputation while flying online. I man the guns myself while I'm flying evasively. It takes practice, practice, practice.

I used to try the "fly level and just gun" routine and frankly.. after I gave that suicide practice up and began to actually "fight for my life".. I've been able to increase my survival chances..

One time I even managed to shoot up a fighter bad enough I was able to fly up on him and finish him with my forward gun.. It was satisfying.

Aaron_GT
12-12-2008, 07:04 PM
I think the explanation is something like there was actually only one crewman manning both guns in reality, but then the same was true of the waist guns in the He-111 and B-25.

The best defence against fighters online is to practice lots with level bombing then come in high. This is hard if you are attacking a target you don't know the exact location of because by the time you can see it you are too late to line up. In those cases use a fighter bomber instead. Once you can level bomb spend the first 20+ minutes of your sortie getting to at least 15,000 feet in a series of gentle turns over your own airfield. Then set course for your target and get up a good head of speed. If the target and lines allow then plot your bombing run so you are heading towards friendly territory at the end of it. Now if you spot enemies (given the icon range you might have to guess a bit but if you leave your gunners on auto at this point they will give you hints from where they train their guns, and you should cycle through the positions and use the hat switch to scan round as unfortunately the gunners are mute apart from in the IL-2 but the he just complains about your flying rather than telling you about the 109 creeping up on you) you can enter a shallow dive to pick up speed and make interception harder, but don't give up all your altitude until you are well within your own territory. Remember you won't outdive a fighter, but a shallow dive and a good head of speed might make them fluff the first pass or two and mean it will take longer to set up passes so you'll survive longer.

When the fighter is making a pass then Prien has the good advice.

Woke_Up_Dead
12-12-2008, 08:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by I_KG100_Prien:
I man the guns myself while I'm flying evasively. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is there a way to control the plane and the gunner at the same time? As soon as I switch to a gunner's seat the autopilot kicks in and I have no control over the plane.

ImMoreBetter
12-12-2008, 08:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Woke_Up_Dead:

Is there a way to control the plane and the gunner at the same time? As soon as I switch to a gunner's seat the autopilot kicks in and I have no control over the plane. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Turn 'Autopilot automation' off, you may need to assign a key for it.

Be aware that you will need to turn 'autopilot' on before leaving the gunner seat.