PDA

View Full Version : How to slow down your plane?

WildeSau
10-21-2004, 12:36 AM
Hi there,

In FB, I have always the problem of slowing down my plane in time after a mission when having 400KMh or so to land. I think in PF, this even becomes more important. Of course I am setting back the throttle and using flaps.

But what are the best ways to slow down your plane asap without having to make strange looking maneuvers? Anyone?

Michael the WildeSau

Yellonet
10-21-2004, 01:58 AM
It's a bug with the game that some planes slow down very slowly...

If you want to slow down fast you have to make "strange looking maneuvers" if you're going in for a landing you can always come in from the wrong direction and then make a big u-turn which will bleed off speed very nice.

1 Come in from the wrong direction
2 Lower throttle
3 down flaps
4 make u-turn
5 trim for a nice 3-point landing
6 lower gear
7 adjust throttle input as necessary
8 touchdown

KAMI_1
10-21-2004, 02:23 AM
Whitch plane?? thats the Question.

With a 109 with auto Prop Pitch u will slow down , with other one u have to reduce the prop-pitch manually ,

and i think its not a bug.

WOLFMondo
10-21-2004, 04:26 AM
Side slipping is a good way to shed speed.

A long landing approach is always good to. I can't remember who said it but it goes somthing like 'landings aren't made, there planned'.

AnaalNathrakh
10-21-2004, 05:25 AM
The answer is ofcourse to lower Prop-pitch. Prop-pitch can be a real pain to use but with hardship comes reward, and this time its in the form of having more controll of the plane - slowing it down.

Chuck_Older
10-21-2004, 05:34 AM
The prop pitch is slightly different for most Allied planes, compared to most Axis

The Allied planes have more of an RPM governor and it is MUCH different from say a Bf 109's manual prop pitch. Fly a P-51 and see what I mean. This is the 'bug' that was mentioned

In real life, the planes flew a 'circuit' of the landing feild, and on a carrier, they approached on a curve after passing the ship

In FB, I use a LOT of sideslip at a slight bank in my P-51s and P-47s to slow down. Flashing the rudder around seems a good tactic to lower speed in these planes, with or without some bank

But, if you find yourself coming in too fast, start your approach a little further away, a mile or couple km further away will help

Freycinet
10-21-2004, 05:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WOLFMondo:
Side slipping is a good way to shed speed.

A long landing approach is always good to. I can't remember who said it but it goes somthing like 'landings aren't made, there planned'. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In RL perhaps, but on-line it gets you killed!- Sitting duck! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

keithb77
10-21-2004, 05:44 AM
Use the circuit to slow down.
A traditional fighter recovery starts with a fast and low run along the runway axis, throttling back with a 4G break (in this case a tight climbing 180deg turn) into the circuit downwind, preferably lowering (raising?) the wheels whilst upside down.
By now speed should be low enough to drop the flaps, turn base-leg ASAP and home for tea and medals.

Long, flat approaches are for bombers.

Cheers,
Keith

IV_JG51_Razor
10-21-2004, 06:05 AM
Another thing to keep in mind, is that, whenever you reduce your throttle setting, the nose will pitch down a bit. If you're not watching your altimeter (the vertical speed indicator has alot of lag in it), you might not notice this loss of altitude. If not checked, your plane is starting a down hill glide, and you'll notice that it doesn't want to slow down. You've obviously noticed this, or you wouldn't be posting here http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Just take a look at your altimeter next time you pull off the power, and see what it does. Then start trimming the nose up to hold your altitude, and see just how fast you really can slow down. Once you're slow enough to get your gear and flaps down, you'll find that you have to ADD power to hold your altitude! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Not having all the tactile cues RL pilots have makes this a difficult manuver to get good at.

BuzzU
10-21-2004, 10:14 AM
The fastest way to slow down is pull the throttle all the way back, and put the nose up a lot. Use combat flaps at first and when the speed bleeds off lower more flaps. Keep the nose pointed up all this time. Once you get most of the speed bled off you can control it from then on with throttle, elevator and flaps. You can also side slip during all this. A couple of snap rolls will also put the brakes on.

Not very realistic I know, but this isn't real life, but Oleg's version of it.