View Full Version : Settings?

XyZspineZyX
09-16-2003, 08:50 PM
What kind of res and quality settings should I be able to accomplish with?:

P4 1.7
512 RDRAM
Radeon 9700pro
Running in Open GL

I have most on excellent and 1152 res, and fps have been less the stellar. Changing to 1028 res does next to nothing. Some missions in my career are practically unplayable because it becomes a slideshow. Very frustrating. Are their updates for OpenGL like DirectX? If so, what version should I be at?

"Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them!"
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
"America is a large, friendly dog in a very small room. Every time it wags its tail, it knocks over a chair."
Arnold Toynbee

XyZspineZyX
09-16-2003, 08:50 PM
What kind of res and quality settings should I be able to accomplish with?:

P4 1.7
512 RDRAM
Radeon 9700pro
Running in Open GL

I have most on excellent and 1152 res, and fps have been less the stellar. Changing to 1028 res does next to nothing. Some missions in my career are practically unplayable because it becomes a slideshow. Very frustrating. Are their updates for OpenGL like DirectX? If so, what version should I be at?

"Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them!"
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
"America is a large, friendly dog in a very small room. Every time it wags its tail, it knocks over a chair."
Arnold Toynbee

XyZspineZyX
09-16-2003, 09:52 PM
simplest way is try it, in game go into the settings ie in esc if it says excellent click on custom and try perfect in landscape, if it stutters along go back to excellent

XyZspineZyX
09-16-2003, 10:05 PM
Try high settings. It should help, and doesn't look that much different.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<center>
No Guts No Glory
<center>
http://www.jpmagazine.com/jpmag/eventcoverage/p95932_image_small.jpg

XyZspineZyX
09-17-2003, 02:27 AM
I'm like you but an Athlon 1.4 Ghz/512 ram/64 MB Geforce 420/Asus MB/SB Live 5.1, not much to work with, at best I get 30 FPS. I did however find that theres a big crunch with my sound. I turned all the sound off and got way better results, pointless but most computers now are still using a 8 bit PCI slot which is like 33 MHZ compared to the main processors at 1000+, they need to create a better MB architecture. Everything on "High" seems the best and the native texture resolutions are 1024X768, so depending on your video card lower or higher won't make a big difference. The big one is in the bus speed of your computer, the processor and amount of ram. This game is vector intensive and requires millions of polygons, memory for all the uploading of big textures and then processing them through the video card, in the past with lower clocked processors we needed bigger video processors to compensate for the games but now with 2 and 3 GHZ it doesn't really matter. A 300 or 400 MHZ processor on the video card is fine but what makes the difference there is the amount of stored textures that are used often, the game though is huge.

<center>http://www.luftwaffe-experten.com/backgrounds/Luftwaffe_poster.JPG
<marquee>Sturzkampfflugzeuge 66</marquee>

XyZspineZyX
09-17-2003, 02:50 AM
I have a P4 1.7GHz, 512 RDRAM, GeForce 3 under win98SE and I get 40-45 fps. Settings at excellent, 1280X960 resolution. Very few stutters except over big cities and parts of the Gulf of Finland.

You might try posting your DX Dialog in the Tech Forum. When I did my same system went from 30fps to current following steve_v and Hunter82's advice.

<center> Beebop-ProudBirds-VFW

http://www.escadrila54.com/logo_sm.jpg

<center> The ProudBirds ... Flying High and Proud