PDA

View Full Version : Ki100!!!

TgD Thunderbolt56
11-05-2004, 11:42 AM
With the patch announcement stating the inclusion of the Ki100, I thought I'd post a quick link here to enlighten any who are unfamiliar with it to some of its attributes.

Read it here (Particularly the 5th paragraph ): http://www.csd.uwo.ca/~pettypi/elevon/baugher_other/ki100.html

RedDeth
11-05-2004, 12:14 PM
bump.

although mainly experimental and not really produced much this plane should help balance online gaming in jap vs allied maps.

kind of a middle ground between zero and ki84C

horseback
11-05-2004, 12:23 PM
Given that there were over 300 of them in the inventory from May '45 to the end, they comprised a good sized chunk of the IJAAF's fighter strength during that period, fighting over the Home Islands. While not terribly fast in terms of top speed, the Ki-100 was a formidible dogfighter, well armed, and popular with Japanese Army fighter pilots.

It was considered a great improvement over the original Tony, and Allied fighters learned to approach it with respect. I look forward to taking it out for a spin (and hopefully a recovery).

cheers

horseback

kalo456
11-05-2004, 12:27 PM
Hey T-bolt,

Yipppeee

Yes this will help fill that big empty void between A6m Zero and Ki84 Frank. Everybody here knows the Ki-100 was a redesign of the Tony to accomodate a Radial engine?

Still a Ki44 Tojo or N1K1 George or Jm2 Jack flyable would have been more historical. Especially the Tojo. NeedTojo!!!

MojoTojo
lol

Kalo

Atomic_Marten
11-05-2004, 01:10 PM
Good news. Although not common Japanese ride in the end of WW2, that bird still left its mark. I was reading in one of Osprey's book that KI100 is sort of KI61 with better engine and different prop.(KI100 shares the mainframe with KI61).

Maj Yohei Hinoki (12kills) was flying KI100 (with Akeno fighter school marks on tail) when he scored P51D flown by Capt John W. Benbow of 457FS over Nagoya Bay on 16 july 1945. He fired his guns on extremely short range (~20m) from Mustang, due to problems with prop.vibration, which was rulling out precise use of gunsight. In the time of scoring that kill, Hinoki was without one leg, which he lost in one of his previous clash with mustangs.(like English pilot Douglas Bader) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif. (source: Osprey JAAF Aces 1937-45)

Gibbage1
11-05-2004, 01:21 PM
From what I read of the Ki-100, it was a Ki-61 with a radial engine. Very much like the P-36/P-40 but the other way around.

They built a lot of Ki-61's, but the body's were waiting for the engine. They were having lots of problems making the inline engine (Copy of the DB601?) and so they had all these complete airframes just sitting around! They made some modifications to the engine section to help accomidate the radial, and the rest is history!

From what limited knolege I have of this bird, I heard it was very competitive late war.

Very good news!

Saburo_0
11-05-2004, 01:22 PM
The KI-100 (also called Goshikisen or fighter type 5)is actually slower than the Tony IIRC. It was more popular becasue the Ki-61's engine was very unreliable-in part because ground crews were never properly trained on inline engines. Several respected Japanese pilots died when their Tony's lost power either in combat or on landing approach.

VW-IceFire
11-05-2004, 02:58 PM
Ki-100 I read has good altitude abilities too. So its a good ride to have...and apparently it was well liked and when compaired against the P-51 it did quite well except for speed. So it should be a great plane!

I'm excited!

k5054
11-05-2004, 04:18 PM
It's a 360mph plane about equal to a Spit Vb or something from 1942-3. It may well have been more reliable than anything else the IJAAF had, but really it's hard to see what makes it as special as some over-enthusiastic writers have made out.
What we get in the game, of course, may be different, but if accurately modelled it won't provide much relief for the late-war IJAAF pilot, who in this game has a Ki84 which doesn't have the reliability problems of the real thing.

geetarman
11-05-2004, 05:41 PM
just another target http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

ElAurens
11-05-2004, 07:19 PM
I'm already shooting down Spits and P38s online with the porked (no pun) Ki61. the Ki100 wil be a welcome addition.

Take note that the screenshots posted by Oleg of the Ki100 clearly shows that this is one based on the Ki61 II airframe. So it is not much of a stretch to hope for the Ki61 II Kai, which had the Kawasaki Ha140 engine that developed several hunderd more HP than the Ha40 in the Ki61 I series. while accurate performance figures are sketchy for it, a Ki61 II Kai was flown by TAIC, and they "estimated" it's top speed as in excess of 400 mph.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

heywooood
11-05-2004, 10:26 PM
something for the IJ pilots to kick a$$ in, eh?

very cool http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

VW-IceFire
11-05-2004, 10:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by k5054:
It's a 360mph plane about equal to a Spit Vb or something from 1942-3. It may well have been more reliable than anything else the IJAAF had, but really it's hard to see what makes it as special as some over-enthusiastic writers have made out.
What we get in the game, of course, may be different, but if accurately modelled it won't provide much relief for the late-war IJAAF pilot, who in this game has a Ki84 which doesn't have the reliability problems of the real thing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The trick is that it reaches 360 mph at a fairly good altitude. Better than the Hellcat's speed at altitude from what I can tell (I haven't looked specifically at the charts). So that puts the Ki-100 on fairly even footing against most of its opponents.

Its not a La-7 killer...but its still going to be good. It should be fairly agile...if you can make a Spitfire LF V a deadly machine against the 1945 crowd then this will be much easier. Its not quite the same comparison.

Giganoni
11-06-2004, 05:59 AM
The Ki-84 will still be top dog. The ki-100 was reliable, hence its popularity. However, I bet the Ki-100 might be able to fill the role of a High Altitude dogfighter. Not positive, but the Ki-84 sucks after 7500m and the Ki-61 is less manuverable.

DuxCorvan
11-06-2004, 06:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Giganoni:
The Ki-84 will still be top dog. The ki-100 was reliable, hence its popularity. However, I bet the Ki-100 might be able to fill the role of a High Altitude dogfighter. Not positive, but the Ki-84 sucks after 7500m and the Ki-61 is less manuverable. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oleg confessed they made a mistake with Ki-61 FM, which is totally wrong and porked. It will be fixed in next patch -I hope so. So estimations made in actual Tony charts are misleading. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

falco_cz
11-06-2004, 07:51 AM
What the fuss about Ki100? Too slow for late '44, Ki84 is much better

motorpool
11-06-2004, 08:19 AM
Apparantly the plant which manufactured the inline engines was damaged and there was an extra quantity of radial engines intended for medium bombers. The rest is history.

Fliger747
11-06-2004, 12:04 PM
It is always a combination of charcteristics that make a good plane. Every source I have read suggests that the Ki-100 was very good aircraft! Top speed may not have been enhanced, but durabiliy, reliability, and rate of climb combined in proper proportions made for a ballanced aircraft, much in the same fashion that a combination of factors all made the F6F a great plane.

VMF-214_HaVoK
11-06-2004, 12:18 PM
Any new Japanese aircraft added to PF is a great addition. Flyable ofcoarse.