PDA

View Full Version : General questions

SilentBobBMFJ
01-16-2011, 12:25 AM
Instead of making a thread for every question, I'll try to keep it to this one. Just skip to the last post I made.

First up is something that ****ed me off, as I didn't understand why it didn't work:

I jumped up onto this little ledge/frame thing, since my target was right on the other side and below it. I highlighted my target, walking right under me, so I highlight him and hit square.. square square?.. Then all of a sudden I'm being killed from behind. WTF is that about?

This game is by far more frustrating than any other game, because things in this game take forever. And by that I mean it's not as simple as hitting a button and seeing an immediate reaction on the screen. I've noticed that I very often can hit a button 3-5x and have nothing happen, and then I'm killed, whereas in any other game, there's no way I'd be able to get that many presses off. If the other dude did something that should technically beat me, fine, but what's with the massive amount of button pressing I'm able to do? It's like there's a silent wind up animation that nobody can see or something.

SilentBobBMFJ
01-16-2011, 12:25 AM
Instead of making a thread for every question, I'll try to keep it to this one. Just skip to the last post I made.

First up is something that ****ed me off, as I didn't understand why it didn't work:

I jumped up onto this little ledge/frame thing, since my target was right on the other side and below it. I highlighted my target, walking right under me, so I highlight him and hit square.. square square?.. Then all of a sudden I'm being killed from behind. WTF is that about?

This game is by far more frustrating than any other game, because things in this game take forever. And by that I mean it's not as simple as hitting a button and seeing an immediate reaction on the screen. I've noticed that I very often can hit a button 3-5x and have nothing happen, and then I'm killed, whereas in any other game, there's no way I'd be able to get that many presses off. If the other dude did something that should technically beat me, fine, but what's with the massive amount of button pressing I'm able to do? It's like there's a silent wind up animation that nobody can see or something.

Sps_Drake
01-16-2011, 12:31 AM
Lag. I don't understand the point of you getting mad about it. It's the way the game happens. Lag will always happen to someone.

E-Zekiel
01-16-2011, 12:37 AM
If your feet are in the air/not on solid ground you can't do an air assassinate. In case you were hanging from something, rather than sitting or standing on something.

obliviondoll
01-16-2011, 05:13 AM
Also, you can't assassinate a player who isn't your target.

Lag is unlikely to cause the problem as described.

SilentBobBMFJ
01-17-2011, 01:18 AM
I was not hanging, I was crouching on a beam, which was part of some little structure only about 8 feet off the ground.

I know you can't kill a player who isn't your target, but you can kill NPCs. Possible one was a player, but I don't think so.

I dunno, I think this is one of those games where lag just doesn't work in; in a shooter, the better aimer still wins, even with a little lag. But in this game, it is complete night and day when there is lag. Basically, the effects of lag in most games are bendable/gray, but in this game, it's the difference between winning and losing the entire match. Lag doesn't mix well with the mechanics of this game is what I'm saying.

I feel I can get better and learn how to kill my targets, but when it comes to defense, I'm completely clueless. Almost feels like you're not supposed to play defense, unless you're in a chase or it's extremely obvious somebody is making a b line for you. 90% of the time, nothing is obvious to me. So what this means is, it's basically down to spawns, of who finds who first, which is lame.

Maybe this game just isn't for me, even though I have no problem with stealth, and don't just run around like an idiot.

FearlessSpeach
01-17-2011, 03:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SilentBobBMFJ:
Almost feels like you're not supposed to play defense,

90% of the time, nothing is obvious to me.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In almost every thread on this board, the answer has ultimately been, learn to pay more attention.

You compared it to shooters, and honestly, shooters have very few visual cues. Some of the better ones use radars or shadows to let you know someone is there, but finding your target and target acquisition are almost never the challenge. You learn more about enemy position in most shooters that even offer the possibility for sneakiness (I am thinking specifically of MAG, CoD, and Killzone here) from sound cues - footsteps, reloading, grenade out, etc. Most games at least attempt to place some sort of emphasis on objectives and strategy. That's what makes this so much different. It's all about the literally dozens of tiny visual cues that give away targets and pursuers. This is why there are entire threads dedicated to how to look more like an npc, or tiny tricks (such as gentle push, using a pole to los one person in a morph group, learning to tell which persona is slightly out of place in a stationary group, watching for too much fast walking, individuals on the wrong side of the street) to figure out who your target is. Much as I hate to say it, if 90% of the time you aren't seeing things, then its a skill issue. Play more, pay more attention, and don't think of it as a twitch shooter. NOTHING in this game rewards hitting the button first (except perhaps the very rare mute lock duels, but even then, one of you screwed up if its an issue).

And, as has been said in probably half of all the posts on here, do not rely on stun. Stun is intended as a humiliation move. You use it only after you've vastly out played your pursuer. Yes, there are people such as dolly or Rainie or even me who like to get lots of stuns, but there are specific builds and strategies to doing it, and none of them rely on twitch reaction time. Cat and mouse, spider to the fly, bait and switch + every other cliche about tactics ever.

And your consern about button pushing, etc.... its not so much lag or mechanics issues, its more that YOU don't understand the mechanics yet. This game is extremely consistent (excluding the obvious moments of lag spike, in which case you are SoL in any game). There are very few moves and actions that have variable results given same circumstances, its a matter of learning what the game will decide to do in a given situation. For example, smoke bombs deploy slightly in front of where your persona is at the moment its dropped. This means on a slopped roof top, it will always and forever deploy a little below you, so if you are facing away from your pursuer, its not going to work. I've seen several posts about lag and smoke bomb on here and in the end, it turns out they were on uneven ground and forgot about the mechanics of the game.

As you said, things are a bit slower than a twitch shooter, as such, the actual mechanical workings are more keenly felt. In a shooter, if there is a slight clipping issue causing an invisible extension of a wall, you don't even really think about it, you just strafe another half step and keep firing. In ac:b, if you managed to find an invisible wall that kept you from assassinating, the consequence will probably be getting stunned, so much more noticeable. Luckily, AC:B is (as said) very consistent and solidly coded, so these things rarely happen.

I've read all your "I dun getz it" posts, and in the end, almost all of them seem to be you not yet fully grasping the mechanics of the game, not some inherent flaw in the game - which it does have, but that's the nature of the beast. Actually, most of the flaws have little to do with the game play. Almost everyone has experienced match making issues, but that has no bearing once in the match. And glitches causing no target assignment, again, doesn't impact the playing (command input and result) itself, just what tasks you have available.

SilentBobBMFJ
01-17-2011, 02:38 PM
Good post. You're right, I've only played like 10 matches, but I'm one of those people who want to know everything right away. I will read a manual front to back on something I don't know much about; I will go through all options and customize it to my liking before I even start playing; I will join the forum immediately and start asking questions; and with games like WOW, I have to know exact numbers on everything, and not just try stuff out; etc.

I think what I will do for now is ignore defense, and just go for advanced kills, which I feel I can do. Thing is, if I was doing all this work to see my pursuer, I'd likely just fail even if I did know who it was, and also, I'd be so busy with that, I wouldn't be scoring many points. It's very obvious to me that defense is the hardest thing in this game, so I think maybe that's good advice for all newbs, is to just play offense first, and if you get killed, oh well.

SilentBobBMFJ
01-17-2011, 09:23 PM
I don't understand how some of you do it. Here, let me explain...

If you walk slowly, blending in, etc., you will take absolutely forever to get to your target. You also will have to wait and wait and wait until you finally see some NPCs that look like your character to be walking in the direction of your target. And on top of that, your target will most likely be killed first.

If you run around, you will get to your target faster, but you will be killed by your pursuers. So it seems like the only way not to be killed, is simply by blending in, and hoping they kill a civilian. It just seems like you either have to go for the kill, or go for defense.

I understand how to do each individual tactic, but I don't understand how you can do all of them. Oh and speaking of tactics, I've found going on the roof is way easier, since I can use SB on somebody who comes up and walks right at me. On the ground, I don't stand a chance. I'm getting better, but for me to play defense, I pretty much only have to play defense, which means waiting for my pursuer, instead of going after my target.

najzere
01-17-2011, 09:42 PM
As far as walking slowly/blending taking too long, it helps if you try to anticipate your target's destination and cut them off. Also, when you're after someone who has three contracts on them, I like to hang back and wait for the other pursuers to flush him right to me. If all else fails, just hang out in the center of the map—everyone comes back there eventually.

obliviondoll
01-17-2011, 09:57 PM
So... Combining defense and offense... Here's a vague outline of how I do it. Might help you a little in developing your own strategy:

Join moving blend group heading the direction of your target. If possible, use blender, or find a group with at least one NPC lookalike.

If you don't have blender yet, use morph - here's a tip - morph when there are two blend groups traveling in opposite directions, and you're casually walking in between them, THEN join whichever is going the way you want to head - gets you a less conspicuous group, because having a blend group that's all your character model stands out.

Now, your group should head at least vaguely towards your target, and while it does, KEEP YOUR CAMERA MOVING. Watch EVERY direction a pursuer could come from - and don't forget to LOOK UP. Templar Vision users on rooftops are the bane of defensive players. If you see this, be ready to start running. If the pursuer jumps, they're likely to jump over you - be prepared to double back, just in case.

Don't stop glancing down to the compass, keep track of your target. You'll probably notice they're either staying mostly to one area, or they're running around a lot. When they run, you don't need to worry so much about where you are - they'll come to you in time. When they don't, stick with the group, or switch blend groups when you're heading the wrong way.

As you near your target, shift to watching for them more. When you start getting the occasional "line of sight" message, look out for the persona you're meant to be after.

If you're lucky, they'll head your way - if they're approaching, lock on - but KEEP YOUR CAMERA ON A SWIVEL - pursuers can still find you.

Keep the lock, turn back often enough that it doesn't cut out, but look around for players who might be after you.

When you're a few steps away, casually split from the group and mash the "kill" button. Easy 600 points (100 kill, +300 incog, +200 hidden). More if you have/use poison.

Once this happens, check your surroundings - if you think you've been seen, RUN. If not, blend and repeat on your next contract.

I consistently get at least one 3-silent streak using this basic strategy for the majority of the match, and usually mix in an aerial moment, or a couple of silent/discreets with my incognitos to get another level of variety bonus.

SilentBobBMFJ
01-18-2011, 02:45 AM
Thank you. BTW, what is Variety Bonus? Searched Google and everything, and can't find it. (Google keeps giving me guides to getting the Extreme Variety achievement.) I'm gonna take a guess that you have to get 5 different bonuses in a single match?

Nevermind, found it under Action Bonuses. I was right though, woo hoo. But hey, I figured it out on my own, which OMG how horrible it would be if I didn't, since this is a forum, where asking questions (even if they're simple or over-asked) makes you a bad person. *wink*

tyrce111
01-18-2011, 03:58 AM
Why do my profile sets keep reseting?

beacuase...
01-18-2011, 04:03 AM
Your thing about walking taking forever and running getting you killed: This is just my playstyle, but seems like the kind of thing you should be able to use.

I run towards my target whenever I'm not in line of sight, and I slow to a walk before corners or pillars, check if I'm still out of their line of sight and if I am, I keep running. And I just repeat until I've found where they are.

But while I do this, I keep my ears open for the whispers, and as soon as I hear them, I turn to defense. I get in a blend and watch for any pursuers that might be coming, and I try and stun them. I hate just escaping. It sucks because I know that I still have a pursuer, and they're just going to follow me and make me rush my kill.

By the way, if you don't know what the whispers are, listen to this:

Animus 2.0 Theme Music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKYNdnQw12M)

At about 40 seconds onwards, those are the exact whispers we're all talking about. They start playing when your pursuer is around, and the closer they get, the louder they are. If they're in high profile near you, or if they're in your line of sight, the whispers get louder abruptly.

zain_mastron
01-18-2011, 04:04 AM
I don't understand how your target can run right past you, touching you, yet even with mashing the poison button, it still doesn't stick and they get a free stun.

tyrce111
01-18-2011, 05:07 AM
Lock on to people before poisoning...Makes it easier.

obliviondoll
01-18-2011, 06:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by zain_mastron:
I don't understand how your target can run right past you, touching you, yet even with mashing the poison button, it still doesn't stick and they get a free stun. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's called lag.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tyrce111:
Lock on to people before poisoning...Makes it easier. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This suggestion helps.

So does approaching diagonally, and coming in from the side rather than directly in front - also makes you less likely to be stunned.

zain_mastron
01-18-2011, 10:36 PM
I normally do try that, as the big great O above my PS3 playing head tends to give me away and I get stunned.

But what annoys me is the mashing of the button should counteract the lag. I mean I know he is going to touch me as he runs past, so it's not like I have to time it right.

Unless each time you push poison and it says 'You must be closer to your target', there is a 1 second 'cooldown' until you can try it again?

inkyjinx
01-18-2011, 11:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by zain_mastron:
Unless each time you push poison and it says 'You must be closer to your target', there is a 1 second 'cooldown' until you can try it again? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's not. You just have to be exceptionally close. Then a bit closer than what you think.

A lot of the strategies here are very solid. This is a game about patience and about knowing the maps and pathways - at least for me.

zain_mastron
01-19-2011, 02:37 AM
Oh, I completely agree.

Just annoying poison didn't land in this case. Especially as he really did run directly past me and brushed me, but not enough to knock me if you know what I mean.

Just a small glitch I guess. I raged pretty hard at the time and actually quit that match.

SilentBobBMFJ
01-19-2011, 06:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by obliviondoll:
I don't understand how your target can run right past you, touching you, yet even with mashing the poison button, it still doesn't stick and they get a free stun. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's called lag.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tyrce111:
This suggestion helps.

So does approaching diagonally, and coming in from the side rather than directly in front - also makes you less likely to be stunned. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't it true that an NPC won't ever just walk diagonally towards you? Or do they walk randomly all over?

Rainie
01-19-2011, 07:17 AM
That's hard to say because it depends which way your walking too. I find that NPCs will generally walk parallel to buildings and obstructions so I always look out for this. Also if I have noticed my pursuer but I'm only kind of sure who they are, I'll change direction to see if they follow. NPCs follow their own path so they won't follow you of you suddenly change direction.

Also, learn the pathways that the NPCs will not go through, if you see a persona in there then they're a human-controlled player

SilentBobBMFJ
01-19-2011, 08:25 AM
I thought when you stun somebody, they're still your pursuer? I see all these people in videos stunning people, and then within a few seconds it says "New pursuer on you." I've been sprinting away from my stunned pursuer all this time, is this unnecessary?

Rainie
01-19-2011, 08:27 AM
In Wanted, once you stun they lose their contract on you. It's different in the team games tho

LeatherDaddy
01-19-2011, 08:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SilentBobBMFJ:
I thought when you stun somebody, they're still your pursuer? I see all these people in videos stunning people, and then within a few seconds it says "New pursuer on you." I've been sprinting away from my stunned pursuer all this time, is this unnecessary? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In wanted modes, yes this is unnecessary. In all other modes, run like the wind.

PSN: LeatherDaddy

tallinn1960
01-19-2011, 09:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ngfritch:
I thought when you stun somebody, they're still your pursuer? I see all these people in videos stunning people, and then within a few seconds it says "New pursuer on you." I've been sprinting away from my stunned pursuer all this time, is this unnecessary? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In wanted modes, yes this is unnecessary. In all other modes, run like the wind.

PSN: LeatherDaddy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In Wanted and Advanced Wanted chances are that the guy you stunned will get you as a target again. So get away from him after stunning if that is possible.

ShinjiS9
01-19-2011, 09:20 AM
99% of the time, yes. I usually walk away, but there was about two times where they got reassigned me as their target and just ran up and killed me. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Rainie
01-19-2011, 09:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ShinjiS9:
99% of the time, yes. I usually walk away, but there was about two times where they got reassigned me as their target and just ran up and killed me. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
There have been a few times where the guy I stunned ended up being my next contract so I turned around and kicked him in the head, so don't always book it after stunning someone, could miss out on a grounded bonus http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

J4mes4125
01-19-2011, 09:28 AM
Theres also other pursuers you have to be aware of someone else sees you get a stun Their gonna know who you are, where you are, and if you used an abilty they know its now on cooldown.

And just because their not your pursuer at that time dosent mean they wont remember if they do get you as a contract.

SilentBobBMFJ
01-19-2011, 10:54 AM
Didn't think about the different game types. But ya I meant Wanted I guess. Good to know that stun means I'm good to sprint off towards my target then. I foolishly put my HUD to Dynamic (sounded like a good option), but now that I turned it off, if I see no pursuers, I sprint to my target, which is an awesome move I think.

SilentBobBMFJ
01-19-2011, 10:59 AM
I thought of something pretty important:

What's to stop somebody from quitting a match when they know they won't finish in the top 3? There is no quit penalty that I know of, so why not just quit every match you're sucking in, therefor increasing your stats and possibly Templar Score?

I assume you won't get any experience points if you quit, but other than that it's beneficial, right? (If you like to cheat like that I'm saying.) Hate games where you can just quit with no penalty.

So if somebody can break down the pros and cons of doing this, because I hope there are more cons.

RogerRamjet99
01-19-2011, 03:40 PM
For me, if you are absolutely up the creek without a boat, let alone a paddle, then you might think about quitting. But on the whole, when you are in 8th, and you get an incognito kill thats 600 points, followed by another 400+ pointer in the next minute or so you'll soon see that you are 5th, then 4th. The great thing about NOT quitting, is the feeling of reward at the end of a match that you come in the top 3 when you thought within the first few minute, you didn't stand a chance.

I'm not breaking down any pro's and con's just saying the old fashioned 'feel good' factor can be worth sticking in a game as it can all change quite quickly. Once you administer poison and get the multipliers you can get 1K points per hit, and that'll take you way up the board.

Rainie
01-19-2011, 04:44 PM
One con is that if you quit, you can end up waiting for another match for a long time. Also, there's always a chance to win a match when you've been dead last with only a few mins left on the clock. Like it's already been said, if you play smart you can get high point kills and take the lead before anyone realizes

Crumplecorn
01-19-2011, 04:46 PM
I thought of something pretty important:

What's to stop somebody from quitting a match when they know they won't finish in the top 3? There is no quit penalty that I know of, so why not just quit every match you're sucking in, therefor increasing your stats and possibly Templar Score? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Templar Score appears to be based on your top scores of the week, so bad scores, whether you finish the game or not, are irrelevant.

ShinjiS9
01-19-2011, 07:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kriticalraine:
There have been a few times where the guy I stunned ended up being my next contract so I turned around and kicked him in the head, so don't always book it after stunning someone, could miss out on a grounded bonus http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
FFFFFFFF I saw that happen in one of your videos, that was so... oh god I died laughing. My luck usually runs out in that department though lol, although my target usually comes up to kill my grounded pursuer... so it works out anyway hahah.

SilentBobBMFJ
01-22-2011, 05:00 AM
What are the 1s next to each team? It's always 1, never changes. I figured it'd be 1, 2, 3, for each team number, but I guess it's not. It also doesn't matter who or how many are in the group, it always says 1.

SilentBobBMFJ
01-22-2011, 06:19 AM
So I didn't have a pursuer, and went on the rooftops for the hell of it, and then jumped down. While trying to find my target, I get a pursuer. Like 20 seconds has gone by since I was last on the roof, right, and my pursuer kills me. The game then tell me that I can be seen easier when running on the rooftops. Um, I was off the roof for like 15 seconds before I got a pursuer.

Then the very next death, what happened is I turned the corner, went into a group walking one way, and I saw somebody just stop running, while walking straight at the crowd, and after he kills me, it says that hidden pursuers can get me or something.

My question is, are these just basic tips, are are they related to your death? Because it seems to be that they're related to your death, but these 2 were hilariously wrong.

Zacherz
01-22-2011, 11:28 AM
How can you put a picture you made in paint as your signature for the forum?

tastemyfreedom
01-22-2011, 11:34 AM
So I didn't have a pursuer, and went on the rooftops for the hell of it, and then jumped down. While trying to find my target, I get assigned a pursuer. Like 20 seconds has gone by since I was last on the roof, right, and my pursuer kills me. The game then tell me that I can be seen easier when running on the rooftops. Um, I was off the roof for like 15 seconds before I got a pursuer.

Then the very next death, what happened is I turned the corner, went into a group walking one way, and I saw somebody just stop running, while walking straight at the crowd, and after he kills me, it says that hidden pursuers can get me or something.

My question is, are these just basic tips, are are they related to your death? Because it seems to be that they're related to your death, but these 2 were hilariously wrong. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sometimes the tips are horribly wrong. Lol. I think it's supposed to be related to your death, but it's not always the case.

EQWashu
01-22-2011, 05:28 PM

yeah, that should almost be second nature to anyone using poison; especially if they're not by themselves. the rare occasion might be if they've been stunned or killing their target in a fairly open spot.