PDA

View Full Version : Had Churchill had his way on the balkans

huggy87
07-31-2008, 08:00 AM
If the Western Allies had invaded the Balkans how would it have worked out. Fruitless effort? Shorten the war?

I see two likely results.

It would have bogged down, much like the Allies did in Italy when faced with rough mountainous terrain.

It would have pulled resources from France. Arguably, the invasion of Southern France ended up being over-manned, but the planners had no idea that that would be the case.

I think Churchill was looking to beyond the war and having a presence there to thwart the Soviets. Would that have helped. Would Bosnia and Kosovo never had degraded in the 90's?

huggy87
07-31-2008, 08:00 AM
If the Western Allies had invaded the Balkans how would it have worked out. Fruitless effort? Shorten the war?

I see two likely results.

It would have bogged down, much like the Allies did in Italy when faced with rough mountainous terrain.

It would have pulled resources from France. Arguably, the invasion of Southern France ended up being over-manned, but the planners had no idea that that would be the case.

I think Churchill was looking to beyond the war and having a presence there to thwart the Soviets. Would that have helped. Would Bosnia and Kosovo never had degraded in the 90's?

Blottogg
08-01-2008, 06:05 AM
Interesting idea. I'm not real familiar with Yugoslavian politics (I'd left USAFE before the hubbub), but I think that while it would have pulled resources from Operation Anvil, I don't know if it would have turned into a quagmire. From what I remember, the partisans were pretty active in the region, and I think they would have been unified (for the time being) around the goal of helping the allies defeat the Germans.

The post-war picture would have been messier with a Western-influenced Yugoslavia. Without Communist backing, Tito would have had a harder time keeping a lid on the ethnic tensions, probably bringing the conflicts between ethnic groups to a boil much earlier. How that fell would have depended on how hard Uncle Joe was willing to push into that void, and how hard the West was willing to push back. We essentially sat on the sidelines for Hungary and Czechosovakia, but they rebeled after they had been occupied, instead of in response to an invasion.

huggy87
08-01-2008, 09:56 PM
Hey Blotto! Just the other day I was wondering what happened to you and Sensei. Glad to see you're still around here. I'm a civilian now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.