PDA

View Full Version : Will BoB had flaming cliffs type of physics?

Genie-
12-21-2005, 12:33 AM
Well, I'm flying a lot lately in SU25T http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Flaming Cliffs.. and that is what I call a good FM http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

So, in short, will BoB had all those nice shiny physic thingies that has FC?

Genie-
12-21-2005, 12:33 AM
Well, I'm flying a lot lately in SU25T http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Flaming Cliffs.. and that is what I call a good FM http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

So, in short, will BoB had all those nice shiny physic thingies that has FC?

Chuck_Older
12-21-2005, 10:17 AM
The two have nothing in common. BoB will have it's own, new models for everything. Predicting whether or not the physics (which isn't flight modelling, strictly speaking) will be similar in LOMAC:FC and BoB is impossible

MEGILE
12-21-2005, 12:19 PM
Doubtfull.

But only the man, knows.

Troll2k
12-21-2005, 12:54 PM
I hope BoB takes advantage of the new physics processing unit(ppu) cards that are becoming available.

Genie-
12-22-2005, 12:43 AM
Chuck, maybe I was not precise enough, but what I was referring to is, let€s say if BoB will have the same QUALITY of simulated FM as FOR EXAMPLE FC has.

it is comparison like Su 27 is good as Ferrari and MiG 21 is more like Lada.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Chuck_Older
12-22-2005, 09:56 AM
You have mis-read what I posted.

csThor
12-22-2005, 10:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I hope BoB takes advantage of the new physics processing unit(ppu) cards that are becoming available. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As probable as an ice age in the Sahara. Those cards dont have a market share to be taken seriously. Maybe one could add a 'yet', but I doubt they will become standard until the PPUs become part of the Motherboards.

Airmail109
12-22-2005, 11:01 AM
LOMAC uses a dynamic FM whilst IL2 uses a scripted FM, i am hoping that BOB will use a dynamic FM.

SlickStick
12-22-2005, 03:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aimail101:
LOMAC uses a dynamic FM whilst IL2 uses a scripted FM, i am hoping that BOB will use a dynamic FM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scripted, eh?!?

This may be one of the reasons why I feel sometimes that my plane is performing "weirdly" at times, like it's programmed to on certain spawns. Much like a past patch in this series where a plane used to spawn with a slightly-damaged engine that you could hear at start-up and this would affect the plane's speed by about 10km/h, IIRC.

It was removed in a subsequent patch, but I'm wondering how much of these "wobbles come and go" situations has to do with a scripted FM.

Genie-
12-23-2005, 03:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aimail101:
LOMAC uses a dynamic FM whilst IL2 uses a scripted FM, i am hoping that BOB will use a dynamic FM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, that is exactly what I was referring to.

starfighter1
12-23-2005, 03:07 PM
hi,
indeed thats' a good point...

meanwhile try X-plane 8.21
nowadays a standard of progressive FM at PC-flightsimulation http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Genie-:

Yup, that is exactly what I was referring to. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

VW-IceFire
12-23-2005, 05:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Troll2k:
I hope BoB takes advantage of the new physics processing unit(ppu) cards that are becoming available. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I REALLY doubt those are ever going to make headway. I can see dual core CPU's using the second core for physics calculations and running the rest off of the first core...as it stands...dual cores aren't really used by games.

But another type of card above and beyond what we've already got, specifically for games...that increases the gap between the casual gamer and the dedicated flight simmer ten-fold. I just cannot see it happening...

Unless it appears somewhere else....like onboard a motherboard.

AKA_TAGERT
12-23-2005, 06:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
Predicting whether or not the physics (which isn't flight modeling, strictly speaking) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Exactly.. Seems any math model of a system that includes gravity is referred to as physics.. not sure why folks do that? This misunderstanding feed the fires of that PHYSIC processor frenzy that was going on here a few months back.. As if it was going to save/improve flight simming in some manor.. As if it could do something that the current crop of processors could not do. Other than DSP's that are optimized for loop types of operations for FFT and such.. There is not too much pure classical physics math that could be put into a processor that everyone could make use of as is.. Except maybe the trajectories of the bullets fired.. Other than that, not much wrt a flight model.

AKA_TAGERT
12-23-2005, 06:10 PM
LOMAC uses a dynamic FM whilst IL2 uses a scripted FM, i am hoping that BOB will use a dynamic FM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Scripted? Now there is a term I have never heard applied to an FM.. Just where does that jargon stem from? Making it up as you go along? Is it supose to imply that IL2 is NOT a 6DOF FM? If so, your wrong.

TooCooL34
12-23-2005, 06:40 PM
I'd prefer fake scripted FM in 90fps over stutttterig great dynamic FM in 20fps.

VW-IceFire
12-23-2005, 07:49 PM
Mmmm nope...IL2 is mostly a dynamic FM with a bit of scripting here and there. Actually I believe 4.01 took out most of the remaining scripting. That was the whole point of the pre-BoB FM test.

From my experience with the Flaming Cliffs demo (I haven't got Flaming Cliffs yet) is that the FM is probably better tweaked and worked on than our 4.01 pre-BoB stuff...but I think they are still similar. I think BoB will be very much like LOMAC but even better...

Although I'm certain that the Eagle Dynamics guys aren't resting on their laurels either.

Oleg keeps talking about dynamic weather, improved flight physics, and the desire to market the engine to the professional flight world...SO I'd say we're in good stead for that.