PDA

View Full Version : XXI operations

PhantomKira
02-22-2007, 08:43 PM
Do those who have used an XXI run on snorkel often, or only when required to recharge batteries? Would you run on batteries longer and/or more often if the short-battery-life glitch weren't in effect? Comment on other boats is welcome!

I read somewhere that the XXI was intended to operate for quite some time (3 days at five knots) submerged, snorkeling only long enough to recharge the batteries, which took something on the order of five hours to accomplish. Despite this, I note Paul Hager's (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/857101043/m/7761001304?r=7761001304#7761001304) extensive use of the snorkel, even during combat operations. I would think it would be a dead giveaway to the position of the submarine, not to mention the added noise from the diesels.

PhantomKira
02-22-2007, 08:43 PM
Do those who have used an XXI run on snorkel often, or only when required to recharge batteries? Would you run on batteries longer and/or more often if the short-battery-life glitch weren't in effect? Comment on other boats is welcome!

I read somewhere that the XXI was intended to operate for quite some time (3 days at five knots) submerged, snorkeling only long enough to recharge the batteries, which took something on the order of five hours to accomplish. Despite this, I note Paul Hager's (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/857101043/m/7761001304?r=7761001304#7761001304) extensive use of the snorkel, even during combat operations. I would think it would be a dead giveaway to the position of the submarine, not to mention the added noise from the diesels.

geoffwessex
02-22-2007, 09:02 PM
I got through a whole war career - 52 patrols - and finished up with 3 or 4 patrols on an XXI. It was my first career and, as I wanted to see all the aspects of the game, I wasn't playing the "Dead is Dead" thing - when I got killed (which was probably about 8 times) I went back to a previous save.

Anyway, one of the first things you notice you're doing, without thinking too much about it, is staying dived for the whole patrol - you can achieve a good speed when snorkelling and that's what I would do if not actually in contact with anything unfriendly. You don't need to snorkel for long to recharge the battery, but you will keep it up to give you more speed and to make sure you're topped up and ready if you find a target.

IRL, snorkelling in rough weather is even more tiring for the crew than being tossed about on the surface - the snorkel mast would have been underwater at times and the diesels would have been gasping for air from the boat - result: burst ear drums, deafness, headaches. Not sure if this gets registered on the 'fatigue' status.

The crew looked pastier than ever at the end of the patrol!

goatman455
02-23-2007, 01:09 AM
But doesn't the XXI run faster underwater on battery than with the Diesels going? Or do you mean having the snorkel up just to recharge the battery, not actually to run on the engine itself?

gadflyjs
02-23-2007, 01:36 AM
XXI run underwater (ahead slow) using the Diesels Engine (about 8 knots) is faster than using battery (7 knots only)! when flak, the batteries can only reach about 20 knots, but using snorkelling, it can up to 21 or even 22 knots.

But maybe it is due to the supercharge upgrade. I haven't try not upgrade anything and set sail yet.

demigod151
02-23-2007, 03:52 AM
Thing is, the XXI was designed specifically to be fast underwater. On the surface, like a modern submarine it is actually slower than it is submerged.

A modern nuclear sub can do about 19, maybe 20 knots on the surface flat out. Underwater they can do in excess of 35 knots. The XXI was the first step towards the "true" submarine.

geoffwessex
02-23-2007, 08:52 AM
If I could have trusted the (game) hydrophone operator I'd have stayed below PD and waited to hear a target come along, but even with the same crew (more or less) throughout the career, the (SH3) XXI wasn't any better at finding sonar contacts. I therefore had to LOOK for contacts with periscope.

Also, most of the patrol is spent on the way between patrol area and port, so you have to keep moving relatively quickly. And if you're doing that, in the open sea, you might as well ensure that your battery is topped up 100%, so the snort is up. Depends where you are too - less snorting in daytime and when close to coasts.

PhantomKira
02-23-2007, 01:44 PM
So it sounds like you end up at periscope depth with the snorkel up for speed and maintenance of battery power, but blind, even at low speeds unless you have the periscope up. Even then, you get a pin-hole view of the world, since you can't trust your sonarman, or the passive array.

I've heard of lots of problems with the more advanced Nibelung sonar, in the game anyway. Most reports indicate that it just doesn't have the capabilities to allow blind targeting, as it's supposed to.

@ geoffwessex: which sonar were you using?Obviously the passive array, but which active sonar, and did it work as advertised (ie allowing you to set up shots based on passive sound contacts, active sonar confirmation, and subsiquent shot, all without use of the periscope)?

geoffwessex
02-26-2007, 07:45 PM
Sorry - only just spotted this one again. No, I never could rely on the passive sonar for anything, and never went 'active'. Never tried attacking by sonar - too difficult!