PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here play Falcon 4.0 Allied Force.

FE_pilot
02-12-2007, 10:51 PM
I just purchased this game today through download and im running it now without any problems on highest graphics settings, but i want to know for anybody who plays this game.

1. What do u think of it, is it good, bad or in between?

2.Do u play the game online, if u do how is it?

3.Is it worth the $30 usd i paid for it?

4. Most important, is it a fun game to play?

Ive only tried for 30 min and i cant even start the engine or taxi, basically im not able to do anything yet.

FE_pilot
02-12-2007, 10:51 PM
I just purchased this game today through download and im running it now without any problems on highest graphics settings, but i want to know for anybody who plays this game.

1. What do u think of it, is it good, bad or in between?

2.Do u play the game online, if u do how is it?

3.Is it worth the $30 usd i paid for it?

4. Most important, is it a fun game to play?

Ive only tried for 30 min and i cant even start the engine or taxi, basically im not able to do anything yet.

p-11.cAce
02-12-2007, 11:04 PM
I think it is a great game and has VERY detailed procedure moddeling - if you do the full start up sequence it takes 8-10 minutes easy. To get the most out of it make sure you install all the patches, then do whatever you have to do to get a hardcopy of the manuals (mine take up two 2" binders!). READ THEM! I have not flown it online but really like it when I'm in button pushing mode. The clickable cockpit is really well done. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif If you are looking for alot of fast paced "quake" action you will be VERY disappointed. If you are into realistic study sims and procedural simulations you will be in heaven.

tagTaken2
02-12-2007, 11:53 PM
It's a great game for simnuts.
If you're interested in the plane, it's totally worth it.
Fun... well, that's up to your personality. If you're dedicated, you'll love it.
You might want to take the disc into work and print out the chunky manual on someone else's dime. It's essential to be able to flip through it.

MEGILE
02-13-2007, 05:10 AM
It's a good game no doubt.

The graphics are old school... but the F-16 modelling is excellent.
Infact I used to play it more for ground attack than air to air cobmat.
It's ok online... the DCG does its job.

I gave it up a while back though

SeaFireLIV
02-13-2007, 05:58 AM
I gave it a try a while back, but I insist on trying to do things realistically which makes falcon4 HARD WORK! You literally need to live it to play /Fly it. You can`t do anything else. It takes almost 3 months just getting through the manual!

I just don`t have that kind of time or interest. I`d do BOBwov.

Realism is good, but not if you need a spare lifetime to learn it.

ytareh
02-13-2007, 12:11 PM
Didnt like it...very mediocre graphics...maybe challenging gameplay but I didnt like it enough to spend the time at it...Just my 2c worth

jasonbirder
02-13-2007, 03:35 PM
1. Not Good...great...Falcon 4 has been around even longer than FB/AEP/PF and its still going strong...thats tells you all you need to know about it!
2.Online Plane is great if you get with a good group of players and fly co-op missions...Flying in formation...a proper division of duties...good comms...mission planning etc etc the immersion is an order of magnitude greater than you'll get ina Hyperlobby Dogfight room...
3. $30...if you like it you'll still be playing it five years from now...i'd call that good value!
4. Is it Fun? You betcha! Much as I love FB/AEP/PF - F4 still rules the roost for me sim wise!

Sintubin
02-13-2007, 04:14 PM
I have it to

It rulez over FB/EAP/PF for sure in the real mode

Online its very intense to get the job done

its realy word your 30$

Go here for forum http://forums.frugalsworld.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=73

Here for online info & play @Multivipers

http://www.multiviperforums.com/phpBB2/index.php

redfeathers1948
02-13-2007, 05:21 PM
Seafire said it for me

NAFP_supah
02-13-2007, 06:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
I gave it a try a while back, but I insist on trying to do things realistically which makes falcon4 HARD WORK! You literally need to live it to play /Fly it. You can`t do anything else. It takes almost 3 months just getting through the manual!

I just don`t have that kind of time or interest. I`d do BOBwov.

Realism is good, but not if you need a spare lifetime to learn it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I must be nerdy because I managed it allright on full real mode. Actually managed some sorties but the ATC sucked and kept ****ing up my take off clearance and then berating me for being late for a way point. That alone drained all the fun from it for me and I quit playing it. FS9 has better ATC then that. It's campaign system is unbeatable but that is inherited from Falcon4. Its still above and beyond anything IL2,AEP or PF has to offer campaign wise. Also system modelling is done so nicely BoB pbb wont be able to compete.

XyZspineZyX
02-13-2007, 06:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Megile:

Infact I used to play it more for ground attack </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh man...that reminds me of how much I absolutely LOVED taking out runways with Durandals..

Nothing like coming in the approach path of an enemy runway at 500 feet and 500 knots!

Then as you pull up, if you brought any cluster bombs with you its time to obliterate the parked and taxiing aircraft.

Havent played in a little while though. I tried to get my squadron to accept it as an alternative sim but it didnt take.

To answer the thread starter's question, F4AF is a lot of fun, just be prepared to invest alot of time into it. It'll be a while before you go full out into a campaign.

FE_pilot
02-13-2007, 06:33 PM
I was trying to taxi from the hangar to day, but i never managed to get the engine to start or the avionics or anything. So now i try to read the manual on what to do and, i found nothing yet on how to start the engine or avionics. Maybe someone who plays Falcon 4.0 can help me plz.

XyZspineZyX
02-13-2007, 06:44 PM
Mission 2 : Take off. Page 19 in the manual. Its called the "Ramp Start Procedure".

SeaFireLIV
02-13-2007, 06:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NAFP_supah:

I must be nerdy because I managed it allright on full real mode. Actually managed some sorties but the ATC sucked and kept ****ing up my take off clearance and then berating me for being late for a way point. That alone drained all the fun from it for me and I quit playing it. FS9 has better ATC then that. It's campaign system is unbeatable but that is inherited from Falcon4. Its still above and beyond anything IL2,AEP or PF has to offer campaign wise. Also system modelling is done so nicely BoB pbb wont be able to compete. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don`t get me wrong, I really liked the campaign and the AI detail, it`s appointments and AI decision making on the nemy and friendly level. Learning just to start and taxi and basically fly was one thing, but the multiple radar modes and weapons systems caused some headaches, especially since I realised that I would need some radically different joysticks like those real fighter jock ones you can get. If you don`t have several rocker switches, etc you run out of controls real fast (and I use TWO joysticks for IL2, but that wasn`t enough) and keyboard controls for many systems just doesn`t cut it.

I also found the strict mission timing really off-putting. Everything had to be done to the second almost. take off exactly at such and such a time, get to waypoint 1 at 0500, 2 at 0515, 3 at 0537, which meant you had to time your fuel and speed PERFECTLY which I just can`t do. then I miss my dogfight, bombing appointment and it`s all blown. Is jet fighting really THAT precisely timed? War is a very unpredictable and fluid\dynamic environment, how can it be so timed like you`re working in a 9-5 office job? Especially with an enemy reacting to you?

Anyway, like you say, with everything else (like learning the looong manual for a week and a half), I realised it was draining all the enjoyment out of me...

I AM for realism, as in a realistic cockpit and controls, realistic Human AI, realistic war like situations, realistic FMs, but Falcon really needs your FULL TIME attention and devotion and I guess I`m just not into modern fighter jets enough to make up for it. WWII aircraft even with full realistic settings and start-up I know would appeal much more to me. I guess the fact that WWII has more of a real MORAL meaning for me rather than our modern day jets and cloudy world issues make a difference.

There`s got to be a point where you say, `Enough!` http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

BoCfuss
02-13-2007, 07:43 PM
FE_Pilot? Where did you download it? I was wanting to reinstall it the other day, and I can not find the disk.

As far as the ramp procedure goes, there is a video that shows you how to do it. You really need to look at those websites above as they have all the hardcore playas.

Widowmaker214
02-13-2007, 08:00 PM
Hey FE. Yeah me and my group have flown versions of Falcon for about 8 years lol. Though we've gotten burned out on Falcon AF and pretty much exclusively fly IL2 now. We got a bit tired of Korea all the time (the Balkans campaigns are a bit buggy).
Anyway if you like realism its fabulous. THere are other versions of the game out there that have been modded that add more realism and eye candy. The campaign is by far the most cool thing ever. You ARE in a war. Period. You are just one of dozens of pilots fighting in a non stop war enviroment. If IL2 could model this Id never leave my computer.
We do have a few checklists and such for download that might help you but reading the manual is still something I suggest you do.
If you want some of the downloads you can find them in the Oclub at www.214th.com/tfw (http://www.214th.com/tfw)

NAFP_supah
02-14-2007, 05:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NAFP_supah:

I must be nerdy because I managed it allright on full real mode. Actually managed some sorties but the ATC sucked and kept ****ing up my take off clearance and then berating me for being late for a way point. That alone drained all the fun from it for me and I quit playing it. FS9 has better ATC then that. It's campaign system is unbeatable but that is inherited from Falcon4. Its still above and beyond anything IL2,AEP or PF has to offer campaign wise. Also system modelling is done so nicely BoB pbb wont be able to compete. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don`t get me wrong, I really liked the campaign and the AI detail, it`s appointments and AI decision making on the nemy and friendly level. Learning just to start and taxi and basically fly was one thing, but the multiple radar modes and weapons systems caused some headaches, especially since I realised that I would need some radically different joysticks like those real fighter jock ones you can get. If you don`t have several rocker switches, etc you run out of controls real fast (and I use TWO joysticks for IL2, but that wasn`t enough) and keyboard controls for many systems just doesn`t cut it.

I also found the strict mission timing really off-putting. Everything had to be done to the second almost. take off exactly at such and such a time, get to waypoint 1 at 0500, 2 at 0515, 3 at 0537, which meant you had to time your fuel and speed PERFECTLY which I just can`t do. then I miss my dogfight, bombing appointment and it`s all blown. Is jet fighting really THAT precisely timed? War is a very unpredictable and fluid\dynamic environment, how can it be so timed like you`re working in a 9-5 office job? Especially with an enemy reacting to you?

Anyway, like you say, with everything else (like learning the looong manual for a week and a half), I realised it was draining all the enjoyment out of me...

I AM for realism, as in a realistic cockpit and controls, realistic Human AI, realistic war like situations, realistic FMs, but Falcon really needs your FULL TIME attention and devotion and I guess I`m just not into modern fighter jets enough to make up for it. WWII aircraft even with full realistic settings and start-up I know would appeal much more to me. I guess the fact that WWII has more of a real MORAL meaning for me rather than our modern day jets and cloudy world issues make a difference.

There`s got to be a point where you say, `Enough!` http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The timing in these missions is important because you are crossing the FLOT as a strike package consisting of several types of machines from various bases. There is a carrot somewhere on the HUD that indicates you're time. Keep it centered on the speed bar and you will reach your objective in time. In Falcon4 the missions aren't scripted so missing a dogfight isn't possible. Flying your mission without the rest of the strike package is way more dangerous. The strike package might have included fighter cover and ECM and Wild Weasel support. This is how it works in real life too. Modern air combat is a finely tuned team sport http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Lucius_Esox
02-14-2007, 07:44 AM
Awesome game and one which is pretty much sorted out, even the ATC seems to work now.

Imagine playing something with that level of complexity with probably more bugs than nearly every other game you have seen, put a lot of people off in the early days.

Took me a while playing AF to trust it, and for the first time ever to complete a campaign.

There is definately a lot that is not shown in casual gameplay especially in the campaign.

mrsiCkstar
02-14-2007, 10:35 AM
I absolutely love AF... I fly it more than IL2 nowadays...

reisen52
02-14-2007, 11:20 AM
Best flight sim ever developed for a home computer & most likely to remain so; as the expence to surpass it would be a show stopper.